*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Because he played like a backup last year, and is a low end draft pick.
Fans are, and the clueless media is. But I don’t think the Bears are down on Borom.

They haven’t been looking to break the bank to bring in an OT. They likely won’t be drafting one high either. Borom will be competing to win a starting spot. That much is a fact…

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jones’s lack of scoring seems to be by design. His percentage of QB Matt Ryan’s targets drops steadily the closer Atlanta gets to the goal line: from 32.8 percent of passes when the Falcons are at least 80 yards from the end zone to just a little more than half that — 16.7 percent — when they’re in the red zone.

Yeah he has always been weird that he never got more TDs but I suspect teams probably doubled him more in the red zone.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ill gladly take bell if hes there in the 3rd.

Sure, hes not fast, but he does other things well that we are currently missing on this roster

He would have to the only top WR prospect left for me to take him. The problem with Bell for me is not that he can't be a good player. It is that I don't think his skill set is a particular fit for Fields. I think Bell would have some of the same challenges ARob had with Fields in that Fields looked for more dynamic options in the pass game. Now maybe that is one of the things Fields will be working on but until he shows he can do that I would prefer WR prospects that can give you what bell can but with a bit more speed.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes

Are we seriously going to go into the season with Darnell Mooney as WR1 and no significant upgrade at that position? We can say wait until the draft, but that is a crapshoot. Right now I don’t see how Justin Fields will be any better off than he was last year. — Scott P.

Barring a Jarvis Landry signing — and his “WR1” qualifications could be questioned — or a trade (DeVante Parker?), it does appear Mooney will be “the guy.” And he was last year, as the only consistent pass-catching target for Fields all season.

There are certainly wide receivers out there with better skill sets than Mooney, and if the Bears found one in the future, putting Mooney as the No. 2 option would only enhance the offense, but I’m not sure it’s time to panic.

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
He would have to the only top WR prospect left for me to take him. The problem with Bell for me is not that he can't be a good player. It is that I don't think his skill set is a particular fit for Fields. I think Bell would have some of the same challenges ARob had with Fields in that Fields looked for more dynamic options in the pass game. Now maybe that is one of the things Fields will be working on but until he shows he can do that I would prefer WR prospects that can give you what bell can but with a bit more speed.
I get that Ryan Poles has to say the right things but this line of thought is ludicrous. Justin Fields looked bad as a rookie, was talented but flawed as a prospect and was brought to this franchise by a regime that had absolutely zero eye for quarterback talent. Poles has no obligation to pass on players he otherwise believes in because he's worried that player won't be a good fit with Justin Fields.

If David Bell has what it takes to be a good pro wide receiver yet Justin Fields can't make use of him because Bell doesn't match Fields' skill set then that basically spells doom for Fields in the NFL. Take the best players, don't get cute. If Fields can't make it work with them then move on and find somebody who can. This idea that this team is basically Justin Fields & His Chicago Bears has no basis in reality at the moment. That's surely subject to change, he could ascend to the heights that warrant this type of personnel accomodation, but right now its silly.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why is everyone so down on Borom? He struggled the last few games but had some bright spots too

Think he got overrated a bit by Bears fans who were just happy he didn't go out there and embarrass himself. To me he profiles as a solid back-up that can fill in at Tackle and Guard. He seemed a bit too tentative at times compared to how he played in college which may be why Poles is down on him a bit but the beauty of it is he can prove his naysayers wrong by simply putting in the work to get better.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m with tucky if they think bell would be an up and coming star wr you take him regardless of which type of wrs fields likes most. AR and fields didn’t click because AR played lethargic dropped balls and quit on routes not because fields just liked to throw it deep

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Omg fuck this guy

Bears dont resign daniels

“Bears were never resigning him”. Thanks for the info afer the fact. Breaking news. Insider info.
He's like Stephen A. Smith who always says "I could have told you" the day AFTER something happens.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get that Ryan Poles has to say the right things but this line of thought is ludicrous. Justin Fields looked bad as a rookie, was talented but flawed as a prospect and was brought to this franchise by a regime that had absolutely zero eye for quarterback talent. Poles has no obligation to pass on players he otherwise believes in because he's worried that player won't be a good fit with Justin Fields.

If David Bell has what it takes to be a good pro wide receiver yet Justin Fields can't make use of him because Bell doesn't match Fields' skill set then that basically spells doom for Fields in the NFL. Take the best players, don't get cute. If Fields can't make it work with them then move on and find somebody who can. This idea that this team is basically Justin Fields & His Chicago Bears has no basis in reality at the moment. That's surely subject to change, he could ascend to the heights that warrant this type of personnel accomodation, but right now its silly.

Every team looks at fit when they draft. To pretend otherwise is ludicrous. Even if you ignore Fields, Eberflus whole philosophy is built on getting guys who are fast and athletic and having them out-effort every else. Bell is not fast and not athletic. He just doesn't fit sorry.

Like I am sorry to all the Bell fans. The dude had one of the worst RAS scores in 35 years. I recall having a similar argument with posters over the Great Riley Ridley. They talked up his route running and his hands and I noted that his RAS score sucked donkey balls. There are always exceptions but he has an uphill battle to be a productive player in the NFL because he is one of the least athletically gifted WRs in modern NFL history. I will take my chances on an Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin III before I do Bell.

Another team may find a useful player and good for them but he simply does not fit what Poles or Eberflus have stated they want in a prospect. It is as simple as that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If/when Bell drops past the 2nd round, then it's a different story. But I hope for better in the 2nd.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
30% percentile does not equal "one of the worst."

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m with tucky if they think bell would be an up and coming star wr you take him regardless of which type of wrs fields likes most. AR and fields didn’t click because AR played lethargic dropped balls and quit on routes not because fields just liked to throw it deep

Given what they say they want in a prospect, why would they think Bell would be a star? AR's separation numbers sucked and always have. Fields is a see it and throw it type not a throw with anticipation type so the issue with AR was Fields didn't consider him open enough to throw the ball. So not just about going deep. Mooney gets separation but Fields still had a lot of tight window throws because Mooney would get separation but Fields would be a tad late but Mooney gets enough cushion to where he could still make the tight window catch.

You can't really be a tad late with AR because he gets so little cushion or separation. Now to be fair, that was all good and well when he had QBs who threw it into him anyway because they really can't throw deep or with accuracy (Trubs) and when he was good on contested catches. But not sure it is worth trying to get a David Bell when he simply isn't that good athletically and when Fields is inclined to throw to guys create more separation.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Every team looks at fit when they draft. To pretend otherwise is ludicrous. Even if you ignore Fields, Eberflus whole philosophy is built on getting guys who are fast and athletic and having them out-effort every else. Bell is not fast and not athletic. He just doesn't fit sorry.

Like I am sorry to all the Bell fans. The dude had one of the worst RAS scores in 35 years. I recall having a similar argument with posters over the Great Riley Ridley. They talked up his route running and his hands and I noted that his RAS score sucked donkey balls. There are always exceptions but he has an uphill battle to be a productive player in the NFL because he is one of the least athletically gifted WRs in modern NFL history. I will take my chances on an Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin III before I do Bell.

Another team may find a useful player and good for them but he simply does not fit what Poles or Eberflus have stated they want in a prospect. It is as simple as that.
Riley Ridley made plays when he played for the Bears.

Nagy had him in his doghouse so it was impossible to properly evaluate him.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Uhhh....is it that time of the year again? Where remy tells us that WR's in the draft can only be good if they are good athletes?

Simply put, what makes the wide majority of football players good in the NFL is in their head, not how fast they can run or how many times they can bench 225 pounds.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
30% percentile does not equal "one of the worst."
1862 out of 2557 is one of the worst for me. You may have a different appetite for someone scoring that poorly. Hell Ridley's was 4.56. Anquan Boldin is the last WR I can think of with such a low score that turned out to be a really good player and his was 3.36. Having said that haven't down an exhaustive check but would be interest to try and find guys that scored that law and were still stars in the NFL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Bell is a relatively high floor, low ceiling player. He's very unlikely to be #1 WR, but I think he's very likely to stick around and be a reliable player. Very good body control, very good at the catch point, very good balance, very good blocker. Will never be a separator or deep threat.

Probably doesn't fit too well with Fields' style.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Bell is a relatively high floor, low ceiling player. He's very unlikely to be #1 WR, but I think he's very likely to stick around and be a reliable player. Very good body control, very good at the catch point, very good balance, very good blocker. Will never be a separator or deep threat.

Probably doesn't fit too well with Fields' style.

What is fields style?

We all know he's great at the deep ball but its not like you can have 5 dudes running 40 yards downfield on every play.

Bell fits on this current roster, imo, considering we don't have one possession receiver on it unless you want to consider KMET that guy.

I agree with a 3rd rounder he's work the risk because he can be a very solid nfl player.