*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not saying you hate him. My bad.

Just know this conversation started because Remy always has a huge boner for the fast guys in every draft and like 90% of those guys fail.

David Bell reminds me a lot of boldin. Not every guy on the fields supposed to be a gamebreaker. Mooney/pringle are twigs, we still need someone who can handle the pounding in the slot.

And you always have a boner for shitty plays. You defended Ridley and Trubisky long past the point any sensible person would.

Athletic and fast are 2 different things. You don't have to be fast to be athletic because you can excel in another metric. The problem with Bell as I told you was the problem with Ridley is he doesn't appear to be particularly gifted in anything. Allen Robinson was not fast but his RAS was still 8.86 because he had other outstanding attributes like his size, vert, short shuttle and broad jump. Bell like Ridley is slow, can't jump, isn't explosive and doesn't change direction particularly well.

Holding out hope he is a unicorn like Boldin is stupid that early in the draft. Yes it may work out but you play the percentages in the draft and you win more often than not.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bell is a relatively high floor, low ceiling player. He's very unlikely to be #1 WR, but I think he's very likely to stick around and be a reliable player. Very good body control, very good at the catch point, very good balance, very good blocker. Will never be a separator or deep threat.

Probably doesn't fit too well with Fields' style.
He's gonna be a slot WR IMO, which means you don't have to have top speed to be good in the NFL, just need to be able to run routes to get open, even slightly open, to catch the short passes going across the middle and have good hands that your QB can trust on 3rd and 5.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
As far as RAS, Jarvis Landry has 0.27. That is one the worst.

Canth

Liked Posts:
He's like 25lbs less than any NFL TE and under 6'1. He's not a TE.

Check out Cooper Kupp's RAS. Check out Tee Higgins. Plenty of guys have been stud WRs with poor athletic scores. And I don't think many people think Bell is going to be a stud.

Ok, let's look at Cooper Kupp's RAS:

The difference is look where he is still 'green' in the short shuttle and 3 cone. So, he essentially had elite short area quickness and change of pace.

Now look at Bell's RAS. The only green box there is weight.

So, my takeaway is that you can have a lower RAS score, but look into where they still have a standout trait. Kupp's standout traits translate to NFL production. We will eventually see how Bell produces in the NFL, but simply being big is normally not enough.

msadows

Liked Posts:
And you always have a boner for shitty plays. You defended Ridley and Trubisky long past the point any sensible person would.

Athletic and fast are 2 different things. You don't have to be fast to be athletic because you can excel in another metric. The problem with Bell as I told you was the problem with Ridley is he doesn't appear to be particularly gifted in anything. Allen Robinson was not fast but his RAS was still 8.86 because he had other outstanding attributes like his size, vert, short shuttle and broad jump. Bell like Ridley is slow, can't jump, isn't explosive and doesn't change direction particularly well.

Holding out hope he is a unicorn like Boldin is stupid that early in the draft. Yes it may work out but you play the percentages in the draft and you win more often than not.

I defended them because they are bears.

Once a player is a bear, I defend him.

You get giant man boners around this time of year for the same type of dudes. Most of them suck. It's always some guy who can't run a route worth shit but is fast as fuck. Those guys usually suck in the NFL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No. If 30% did worse than you, you are not one of the worst. You're bad, well below average, much worse than average.

96% of people who apply don't get into Harvard. That doesn't mean all those who fail to get in are the worst, which is analogous to your example.

Nope it is not analogous at all. Harvard is one of many schools. You can go to another school and still succeed if you don't get into Harvard. If you score in the bottom 30% on the ACCA then you are out. So yes for that profession you are one of the worst because you are one of the people that the audit profession basically says you don't belong in the profession. It is literally a scenario where the doors to the profession are largely closed to you and most end up having to switch professions or careers. The exceptions would be people who didn't really study and failed so they found a way back but those that legit studied for it and obtained a score like that largely have no shot at qualifying.

msadows

Liked Posts:

The difference is look where he is still 'green' in the short shuttle and 3 cone. So, he essentially had elite short area quickness and change of pace.

So, my takeaway is that you can have a lower RAS score, but look into where they still have a standout trait. Kupp's standout traits translate to NFL production. We will eventually see how Bell produces in the NFL, but simply being big is normally not enough.

Literally I mentioned boldin.

Feel like its a good comparison for him coming out. Not saying he will ever amount to even half the player boldin was, but they have very similar builds, athleticism, and play styles.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Kupp's was 4.69, and many players have 8+ scores in agility and are not great receivers. And no one thinks Bell is going to be Kupp.

As I posted Jarvis Landry was 0.27.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do not fuck with the Cult of Bell. No matter how many times you explain that a contested catch in college is a pick in the pros and contest catch guy means can’t get open guy and that he’s slow, they’re all like, but he can separate! And then you patiently explain that he can only separate against dudes that aren’t going to sniff the NFL.

So, let The Cult of Bell worship their dude. He may surprise, somewhere, but, unless he plummets to the 6th, I wouldn’t want him taken with any of our precious few picks.

Too late, as I already had this debate on Ridley with some of the cult members. They never learn.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Kupp's was 4.69, and many players have 8+ scores in agility and are not great receivers. And no one thinks Bell is going to be Kupp.

You literally said look at Kupp's RAS as a comparison. So, I did.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Nope it is not analogous at all. Harvard is one of many schools. You can go to another school and still succeed if you don't get into Harvard. If you score in the bottom 30% on the ACCA then you are out. So yes for that profession you are one of the worst because you are one of the people that the audit profession basically says you don't belong in the profession. It is literally a scenario where the doors to the profession are largely closed to you and most end up having to switch professions or careers. The exceptions would be people who didn't really study and failed so they found a way back but those that legit studied for it and obtained a score like that largely have no shot at qualifying.
You'd be one of the worst who applied to Harvard. Worst relative to a defined pool of people. Has nothing to do with other schools.

Anyway, Bell is clearly not one of the worst because there were 30% worse than him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Eberflus' philosophy is fast and athletic for his defense but i wonder what L.Getsy will want for his offense....Hmmmmmm.

I believe at one point Eber said he would apply that same concept to the O and I also believe Poles mentioned wanting guys that are fast and athletic. But sure maybe Getsy has a different view.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He's like 25lbs less than any NFL TE and under 6'1. He's not a TE.

Check out Cooper Kupp's RAS. Check out Tee Higgins. Plenty of guys have been stud WRs with poor athletic scores. And I don't think many people think Bell is going to be a stud.
Ok. So he’s not a NFL WR or NFL TE. Thanks for clearing it up! ?

msadows

Liked Posts:
I believe at one point Eber said he would apply that same concept to the O and I also believe Poles mentioned wanting guys that are fast and athletic. But sure maybe Getsy has a different view.

NFL Coach says he wants guys who are fast and strong.

More breaking analysis from Remydat soon!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I defended them because they are bears.

Once a player is a bear, I defend him.

You get giant man boners around this time of year for the same type of dudes. Most of them suck. It's always some guy who can't run a route worth shit but is fast as fuck. Those guys usually suck in the NFL.

Right you defended them because you are biased. I like to evaluate based on reality not my fandom.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You literally said look at Kupp's RAS as a comparison. So, I did.
Don't think I literally asked you to do anything, I think I said that there have been many stud WRs who didn't have plus RAS scores, abd that not many people expected Bell to be a stud.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, just to clarify, I could give two fucks less about bell.

Just makes me laugh that every year, same time of year, remy gets giant man boners for the same type of WR's and tells us that the guys who aren't fast will suck and aren't fits for this offense.

Legit been like 4 regimes hes been doing this same song and dance for.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Right you defended them because you are biased. I like to evaluate based on reality not my fandom.

Pretty sure anyone who is a fan of a team is biased.

And you like to evaluate based on pure numbers. We all know this. You watch about as much football as Black Rainbow

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yeah but the point is he had excellent traits in the short shuttle and 3 cone. Those traits are exactly what makes him good as he has elite quickness and lateral movement.

Again the point that I have always made to @msadows is that you have to have something that stands out. It isn't simply about speed. You don't need to be fast to succeed in the NFL but you typically need something you are good or excel at.