*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

msadows

Liked Posts:
Ok but that is precisely why I relayed to you where I was coming from which is a profession where being bottom 30% is indeed considered one of the worst because it is usually a career ender. I can only opine based on my perspective not the perspective of others.

Except the boy can play ball, and you clearly have not watched anything on him besides the random highlight.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Every team looks at fit when they draft. To pretend otherwise is ludicrous. Even if you ignore Fields, Eberflus whole philosophy is built on getting guys who are fast and athletic and having them out-effort every else. Bell is not fast and not athletic. He just doesn't fit sorry.

Like I am sorry to all the Bell fans. The dude had one of the worst RAS scores in 35 years. I recall having a similar argument with posters over the Great Riley Ridley. They talked up his route running and his hands and I noted that his RAS score sucked donkey balls. There are always exceptions but he has an uphill battle to be a productive player in the NFL because he is one of the least athletically gifted WRs in modern NFL history. I will take my chances on an Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin III before I do Bell.

Another team may find a useful player and good for them but he simply does not fit what Poles or Eberflus have stated they want in a prospect. It is as simple as that.
RAS can affect where you are drafted, and that is a fact, but there are some damn good exceptions here.
Deandre Hopkins.....3
Chad Johnson...........1.49
Antonio Brown.........1.49
Wes Welker................0.56
Anquan Bolden.........0.52
Jarvis Landry..............0.06

Even Cooper Kupp tested at below average 4.69. Outstanding football players who simply did not test well at the combine. Bell may be the next one and would be great value in the third round.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Incorrect. I said athletic not fast. Athleticism encompasses traits beyond just speed. A RAS score does not just highlight speed. If I intended to only reference speed then I would not have posted his RAS score. I would just say he is fucking slow. I also referenced separation and your 40 time is not a measure of ability to separate. That would be the 3 cone or short shuttle. So no I have been making that point all along.

Bell is not fast and he is not athletic. That is what I said. The reference to fast was talking about his speed. The reference to athletic was talking about his other shit scores.
You literally never mentioned his 3 cone or short shuttle. And you literally never said that receivers have to have something that stands out.

Also his RAS is a measure of his overall athleticism, and that score is below average.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Be honest, have you watched a single game of Bell's?

I don't even like him, but it just sounds like you have an agenda against any WR who doesnt run a 4.4. You did the same shit when we drafted Kmet instead of denzel mims.

I have watched taped on all the WRs that could be had in the 2nd and 3rd round. Now I have an agenda against a WR who is slow, not explosive, not quick, and doesn't have great change of direction.

And no you are drunk. Kmet's RAS was 8.92 so the debate was never about whether he was athletic enough for the NFL. The debate was I wanted guys like Claypool and Mims over him. Of course you conveniently left out Claypool. In fact, I believe my statement was that I don't know how you go to Notre and come away thinking Kmet was a better prospect than Claypool. However, I never doubted that Kmet could play in the NFL. I just didn't like using a high pick on a TE when I felt there were better prospects.

My issue with Bell is that I don't know that he actually is good enough for the NFL period despite the numbers. I think he may in fact just be a really good college WR that isn't built for the NFL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Ok but that is precisely why I relayed to you where I was coming from which is a profession where being bottom 30% is indeed considered one of the worst because it is usually a career ender. I can only opine based on my perspective not the perspective of others.
Being a career ender does't mean it's one of the worst. Being one of the worst means close to the worst.

You can opine based on whatever you want. I think in this instance you overstated because it made your argument look better, not because of your profession.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You literally never mentioned his 3 cone or short shuttle. And you literally never said that receivers have to have something that stands out.

Also his RAS is a measure of his overall athleticism, and that score is below average.

Dude I posted his RAS score so I was suggested he sucked overall not just speed.

Every team looks at fit when they draft. To pretend otherwise is ludicrous. Even if you ignore Fields, Eberflus whole philosophy is built on getting guys who are fast and athletic and having them out-effort every else. Bell is not fast and not athletic. He just doesn't fit sorry.

Like I am sorry to all the Bell fans. The dude had one of the worst RAS scores in 35 years. I recall having a similar argument with posters over the Great Riley Ridley. They talked up his route running and his hands and I noted that his RAS score sucked donkey balls. There are always exceptions but he has an uphill battle to be a productive player in the NFL because he is one of the least athletically gifted WRs in modern NFL history. I will take my chances on an Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin III before I do Bell.

Another team may find a useful player and good for them but he simply does not fit what Poles or Eberflus have stated they want in a prospect. It is as simple as that.

There is no point in saying fast and athletic if I meant just speed as speed is covered in the term fast. Athletic covers the other traits so in the English language I don't need to reference each specific athletic trait when I already mentioned use a term that can encompass them all. And again I already had this debate with @msadows on Ridley and I reminded him of what my issue is.
And you always have a boner for shitty plays. You defended Ridley and Trubisky long past the point any sensible person would.

Athletic and fast are 2 different things. You don't have to be fast to be athletic because you can excel in another metric. The problem with Bell as I told you was the problem with Ridley is he doesn't appear to be particularly gifted in anything. Allen Robinson was not fast but his RAS was still 8.86 because he had other outstanding attributes like his size, vert, short shuttle and broad jump. Bell like Ridley is slow, can't jump, isn't explosive and doesn't change direction particularly well.

Holding out hope he is a unicorn like Boldin is stupid that early in the draft. Yes it may work out but you play the percentages in the draft and you win more often than not.

I flat out explain to him that that Athletic and fast are two different things and remind him of our convo on Ridley. So yes this has always been my point as this debate has been going on for years between myself and Ms. At no point did I claim it was just about speed. I posted his RAS score precisely because I was questioning not only his speed but his overall athleticism.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Being a career ender does't mean it's one of the worst. Being one of the worst means close to the worst.

You can opine based on whatever you want. I think in this instance you overstated because it made your argument look better, not because of your profession.
He is probably saying one of the worst for a player being drafted in possibly the 2nd round. Not like literally one of the worst. You could easily find UDFA projected players with scores near zero.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Maybe not to you but it does to me and others in my profession. You can believe about me what you want but just like with the short shuttle thing, your opinion here about me is simply wrong. I have literally been talking about his lack of speed and athleticism the whole time but somehow you did not notice it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Lol, david bell is literally the most productive WR in the first few rounds in college.

But remy says he is undraftable because he's not fast. Got it.

Remy is the type of dude who would have traded away kyle hendricks because he doesn't throw fast enough.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Well yes if we want to pick Bell up as an UDFA, I can get behind that.

A guy who has nearly 3k yards in 3 years of college ball is now going to be a UDFA because Remy saw him run a 4.65.

Damn.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol, david bell is literally the most productive WR in the first few rounds in college.

But remy says he is undraftable because he's not fast. Got it.

Remy is the type of dude who would have traded away kyle hendricks because he doesn't throw fast enough.

This is where you start to get emo on me because of previous beefs. I never claimed he was undraftable.

He would have to the only top WR prospect left for me to take him. The problem with Bell for me is not that he can't be a good player. It is that I don't think his skill set is a particular fit for Fields. I think Bell would have some of the same challenges ARob had with Fields in that Fields looked for more dynamic options in the pass game. Now maybe that is one of the things Fields will be working on but until he shows he can do that I would prefer WR prospects that can give you what bell can but with a bit more speed.

I straight up said I would take him if he were the last top WR prospect left. Not sure how you transformed that into undraftable. The point was I had him at the bottom of my list of top WR prospects.

A guy who has nearly 3k yards in 3 years of college ball is now going to be a UDFA because Remy saw him run a 4.65.

Damn.

Holy shit, David is that you. I did not say he would be UDFA. I was making a joke to illustrate what Didshe is saying is correct. As I said above I would take him if he were the last on my list of top WR prospects. I was agreeing with Didshe that given where he is projected his lack of athleticism and speed is fucking terrible.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:

This is kind of an interesting read, not that I’m necessarily endorsing the methodology or the results.

“…That's why I built out player similarity scores to add to my draft model.

Now that we have 40-yard dash times for (most of) the 2022 NFL receiver class that was invited to the NFL Combine, we can get a good feel for how each prospect comps to past prospects.

To clarify, these are based 0% on playstyle or how much a player reminds me of NFL players and 100% on measurable variables such as height, weight, draft equity (or expected draft equity for the incoming rookie class), breakout ages, height-adjusted speed, and various production metrics from their collegiate careers.

David Bell, Purdue​

Big Board Rank: 47

Rank David Bell Profile Comparisons Similarity
1 Davante Adams 95.9%
2 DeAndre Hopkins 92.4%
3 Sammy Watkins 91.5%
4 Chris Godwin 91.5%
5 Anquan Boldin 90.5%
6 Michael Crabtree 90.4%
7 JuJu Smith-Schuster 89.9%
8 Torrey Smith 89.4%
9 Robert Woods 88.7%
10 DeVier Posey 88.1%

There are some huge hits at the top of the list for David Bell. He's honestly like a carbon copy of Davante Adams in terms of profile but broke out earlier and rated out as a little less athletic. Bell's adjusted speed score puts him in the 21st percentile; Adams' was 44th-percentile.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure I can pinpoint where it is explicitly stated but same concept of time value of money.

1 dollar today is worth more than 1 dollar a year from now because I can take that 1 dollar today and invest it. If I can put it into something that returns say 10% then a year from now it will be worth $1.10 which is more than the 1 dollar I get next year.

Likewise, if I have two identical players (Johnson - eligible for the draft in 2022 and Mike - eligible for 2023), Johnson will gain NFL experience and hopefully inch closer to reaching his full potential. Mike will improve too but not as much because college does not provide the level of develop the NFL does. So let's say Johnson improves by 30% this year while Mike only improved 15%. Next year Mike is drafted but he and Johnson are no longer identical because Mike is now worth 115% of his 2022 self but Johsnon is worth 130% of his 2022 self because you got him a year early and thus was able to invest more into him.

So that is why a draft pick today is worth more than a draft pick next year. You get to invest the 2022 draft pick for a year which all things being equal will mean that draft pick will have progressed further than a similar player not drafted until 2023.
Oh, I get the concept. I just thought it was odd that I couldn't find an explanation of it in relation to the draft value chart anywhere.

When I correct a misperception on my part, I like to gather more information to solidify my knowledge. That's why I responded with an explanation of my thoughts when people were questioning value, but was obviously getting frustrated with the curt responses. I appreciate you taking the time to actually discuss the reasoning.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Because no one cares. It is a draft thread not a MS needs to validate himself in some hypothetical future.

I responded to your need for my attention by posting equally irrelevant shit.

In 2 or 3 years time if Higgins is better than the guys I liked then lets revisit. Until then stop being an attention seeking whore and talk about current draft reality. Higgins is not a Bear. Dont care.

Just a reminder.

Is 2 years enough time to gloat about this? Because you're doing the same shit again. BTW guys, those WR's he liked were Reagor, Mims, and Shenault(In that order).

This is the guy that was happy the bengals took higgins in the early 2nd so we wouldn't have a shot at him.

Simply put, there are things that make players good at sports that don't involve athleticism. This is true in football as much as any sport.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not following the David Bell love fest. He’s a relatively low ceiling WR. The NFL is shifting towards explosive playmakers.

No one is saying he's going to be great. Thats why he's likely a late day 2/early day 3 pick.

He can still be a very solid nfl starter, even while being slow as fuck. Can't have game breakers at every position. This ain't madden.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RAS can affect where you are drafted, and that is a fact, but there are some damn good exceptions here.
Deandre Hopkins.....3
Chad Johnson...........1.49
Antonio Brown.........1.49
Wes Welker................0.56
Anquan Bolden.........0.52
Jarvis Landry..............0.06

Even Cooper Kupp tested at below average 4.69. Outstanding football players who simply did not test well at the combine. Bell may be the next one and would be great value in the third round.

Think your RAS scores are off. Those scores were still poor but not as bad as what you are posting. And this goes back to my point about having at least something you are good at.

Again some yellows but given he was a 1st rounder then yeah I would say he is an exception. Still better RAS than Bell. Couldn't find Johnson's

Agreed Brown was not great but he had some yellows. But this is likely why he dropped in the draft and still better than Bell.

Welker's short shuttle was elite and it showed up in the NFL. Still better than Bell's

Yes another legit exception but still better than Bell.

Yeah and this dude is a unicorn. There was no way I would have touched Landry but good on him for beating the odds.