*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Canth

Liked Posts:
Stepping back a bit in the discussion, I agree that it is way too early to know how Bell will do in the NFL. He could end up doing nothing or he could end up finding a niche/fit with a team and make some plays.

I agree that pure size and athletism is not enough to make it and that you can find the exceptions like Bolden who made it work.

Having said all that, can we agree that having size and athletism gives a given player a better opportunity to be productive? There are no guarantees, but it generally is going to be easier if you are bigger, stronger, and faster than the other guy to make a play. And ultimately, that is why the guys that are bigger, stronger, and faster will get drafted higher.

Bell is going to get drafted, but I just think either of the Bears' 2nd round picks are too high for him. I guess maybe the 3rd round pick, but I would rather draft more offensive line or maybe a CB over Bell at that point too. I dunno.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah but the point is he had excellent traits in the short shuttle and 3 cone. Those traits are exactly what makes him good as he has elite quickness and lateral movement.

Again the point that I have always made to @msadows is that you have to have something that stands out. It isn't simply about speed. You don't need to be fast to succeed in the NFL but you typically need something you are good or excel at.

No, being a good football player is what is important.

You aren't a scout dude. Stop looking at numbers and acting like you know anything.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah but the point is he had excellent traits in the short shuttle and 3 cone. Those traits are exactly what makes him good as he has elite quickness and lateral movement.

Again the point that I have always made to @msadows is that you have to have something that stands out. It isn't simply about speed. You don't need to be fast to succeed in the NFL but you typically need something you are good or excel at.
You haven't attempt to make either of those points, at least in the posts I've read.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Stepping back a bit in the discussion, I agree that it is way too early to know how Bell will do in the NFL. He could end up doing nothing or he could end up finding a niche/fit with a team and make some plays.

I agree that pure size and athletism is not enough to make it and that you can find the exceptions like Bolden who made it work.

Having said all that, can we agree that having size and athletism gives a given player a better opportunity to be productive? There are no guarantees, but it generally is going to be easier if you are bigger, stronger, and faster than the other guy to make a play. And ultimately, that is why the guys that are bigger, stronger, and faster will get drafted higher.

Bell is going to get drafted, but I just think either of the Bears' 2nd round picks are too high for him. I guess maybe the 3rd round pick, but I would rather draft more offensive line or maybe a CB over Bell at that point too. I dunno.
Yep I think everyone would agree with this. I don't want Bell in the second, I'd be ok with him in the third.

msadows

Liked Posts:
You haven't attempt to make either of those points, at least in the posts I've read.

He's legit been saying speed speed speed about every WR in the draft for the last 5 years.

Like I said, IDC one bit about david bell, but it just makes me crack up remy does the same song and dance every year for the SAME position in the draft.

When we needed lineman two years ago all he would talk about was drafting Jalen Reagor and Denzel Mims.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I believe at one point Eber said he would apply that same concept to the O and I also believe Poles mentioned wanting guys that are fast and athletic. But sure maybe Getsy has a different view.
Well of course every team wants fast and athletic on their offense but just saying that doesn't mean that player needs to be at every skill position especially slot WR which is where i think Bell should play. Getsy will have a voice in the moves made.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You'd be one of the worst who applied to Harvard. Worst relative to a defined pool of people. Has nothing to do with other schools.

Anyway, Bell is clearly not one of the worst because there were 30% worse than him

Yes I would be one of the worst that applied to Harvard. Agreed 100%. There are 70% of people better than Bell so year in my book he is one of the worse. You mentioned English. There is no bright line number in the definition of worse that says you have to be bottom 10% fo be one of the worst. So you are passing off your subjective and arbitrary cut off as some hard fast rule. I respect your right to decide 30% is not the cut off for one of the worst in you book. In my book it is hence why I said it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yep I think everyone would agree with this. I don't want Bell in the second, I'd be ok with him in the third.

Everyone should be okay with that. He's a very productive college player, probably will never be anything more than solid in the pros.

Getting a solid starter in the 3rd round is what you hope for.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Well of course every team wants fast and athletic on their offense but just saying that doesn't mean that player needs to be at every skill position especially slot WR which is where i think Bell should play. Getsy will have a voice in the moves made.

Can only imagine the Bulls hiring a new coach and him saying "Yea, we need to rebuild to be really frail, short, and slow. Thats how you win, baby!"

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yes I would be one of the worst that applied to Harvard. Agreed 100%. There are 70% of people better than Bell so year in my book he is one of the worse. You mentioned English. There is no bright line number in the definition of worse that says you have to be bottom 10% fo be one of the worst. So you are passing off your subjective and arbitrary cut off as some hard fast rule. I respect your right to decide 30% is not the cut off for one of the worst in you book. In my book it is hence why I said it.
OK, what I meant was that very few people would consider the 30th percentile of anything to be one of the worst, especially n a relatively large pool. And that one of the worst usually means very close to the actual worst (which objectively Bell's score is not). So while it is subjective, I would argue that most people have a more specific idea of what one of the worst means.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Incorrect. I said athletic not fast. Athleticism encompasses traits beyond just speed. A RAS score does not just highlight speed. If I intended to only reference speed then I would not have posted his RAS score. I would just say he is fucking slow. I also referenced separation and your 40 time is not a measure of ability to separate. That would be the 3 cone or short shuttle. So no I have been making that point all along.

Bell is not fast and he is not athletic. That is what I said. The reference to fast was talking about his speed. The reference to athletic was talking about his other shit scores.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, being a good football player is what is important.

You aren't a scout dude. Stop looking at numbers and acting like you know anything.

Yes and in the absence of definitive proof teams do look at athletic traits. It is why you man crush Riley Ridley fell to the 4th and you would hype him up by claiming we got a 2nd round value in the 4th and I would tell you no he fucking dropped for a reason.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Incorrect. I said athletic not fast. Athleticism encompasses traits beyond just speed. A RAS score does not just highlight speed. If I intended to only reference speed then I would not have posted his RAS score. I would just say he is fucking slow. I also referenced separation and your 40 time is not a measure of ability to separate. That would be the 3 cone or short shuttle. So no I have been making that point all along.

Bell is not fast and he is not athletic. That is what I said. The reference to fast was talking about his speed. The reference to athletic was talking about his other shit scores.

Be honest, have you watched a single game of Bell's?

I don't even like him, but it just sounds like you have an agenda against any WR who doesnt run a 4.4. You did the same shit when we drafted Kmet instead of denzel mims.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Everyone should be okay with that. He's a very productive college player, probably will never be anything more than solid in the pros.

Getting a solid starter in the 3rd round is what you hope for.

No everyone should not agree with that because some of us may feel he is not a solid starter.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bell's stock has been falling to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if he was sitting there in the 3rd or 4th round.
Stock is falling with all these so called "draft experts" but wonder what the people that actually matter think of him. If they go off the tape which i would think teams do then he should still go in the first two rounds but with it being such a great WR draft i guess he could go early 3rd still.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yes and in the absence of definitive proof teams do look at athletic traits. It is why you man crush Riley Ridley fell to the 4th and you would hype him up by claiming we got a 2nd round value in the 4th and I would tell you no he fucking dropped for a reason.

Stop bringing up riley ridley. He has nothing to do with David Bell. Literally the only similarity is bad combines, which a ton of WR's have had and been succesful. Bell had more production in one year than Ridley had in all 3 combined.

Bell has more yards and catches in college than any of the top 10 WR's getting drafted. Yes, including olave, wilson, etc.

He's a classic example of college production vs. athleticism. Shocking, I know, but college scouts do value how well you actually play on the field, and not how fast you run in shorts.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OK, what I meant was that very few people would consider the 30th percentile of anything to be one of the worst, especially n a relatively large pool. And that one of the worst usually means very close to the actual worst (which objectively Bell's score is not). So while it is subjective, I would argue that most people have a more specific idea of what one of the worst means.

Ok but that is precisely why I relayed to you where I was coming from which is a profession where being bottom 30% is indeed considered one of the worst because it is usually a career ender. I can only opine based on my perspective not the perspective of others.