*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Given what they say they want in a prospect, why would they think Bell would be a star? AR's separation numbers sucked and always have. Fields is a see it and throw it type not a throw with anticipation type so the issue with AR was Fields didn't consider him open enough to throw the ball. So not just about going deep. Mooney gets separation but Fields still had a lot of tight window throws because Mooney would get separation but Fields would be a tad late but Mooney gets enough cushion to where he could still make the tight window catch.

You can't really be a tad late with AR because he gets so little cushion or separation. Now to be fair, that was all good and well when he had QBs who threw it into him anyway because they really can't throw deep or with accuracy (Trubs) and when he was good on contested catches. But not sure it is worth trying to get a David Bell when he simply isn't that good athletically and when Fields is inclined to throw to guys create more separation.
I’m not advocating for bell. I’m just saying can’t skip on talent just cause of fields. We also have Pringle and Mooney for speed

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Uhhh....is it that time of the year again? Where remy tells us that WR's in the draft can only be good if they are good athletes?

Simply put, what makes the wide majority of football players good in the NFL is in their head, not how fast they can run or how many times they can bench 225 pounds.

Right Riley Ridley's biggest defender shows up. No you can be a good player even if you are not the greatest athlete. It is just more difficult and so it is not a risk I take in rounds 1 or 2. I would prefer guys that are athletic and also have good heads.

Riley Ridley made plays when he played for the Bears.

Nagy had him in his doghouse so it was impossible to properly evaluate him.

Ok so why was he out of the league in 2021? NFL teams scour other teams for players. If someone thought Ridley was some hidden gem that Nagy was too stupid to use then guess what he would have played in 2021.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
1862 out of 2557 is one of the worst for me. You may have a different appetite for someone scoring that poorly. Hell Ridley's was 4.56. Anquan Boldin is the last WR I can think of with such a low score that turned out to be a really good player and his was 3.36. Having said that haven't down an exhaustive check but would be interest to try and find guys that scored that law and were still stars in the NFL.
It's objectively not one of the worst. No one defines the 30th percentile of anything the worst. Has nothing to do with my appetite, has to do with English.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What is fields style?

We all know he's great at the deep ball but its not like you can have 5 dudes running 40 yards downfield on every play.

Bell fits on this current roster, imo, considering we don't have one possession receiver on it unless you want to consider KMET that guy.

I agree with a 3rd rounder he's work the risk because he can be a very solid nfl player.
Seems like he like to see receivers open before he throws, so values guys who are good at separation.

I don't hate him by any means. I think he can be a #2 in the right situation.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What is fields style?

We all know he's great at the deep ball but its not like you can have 5 dudes running 40 yards downfield on every play.

Bell fits on this current roster, imo, considering we don't have one possession receiver on it unless you want to consider KMET that guy.

I agree with a 3rd rounder he's work the risk because he can be a very solid nfl player.
I don’t know if bell is that guy but I agree still need a possession wr. Getsy will call plays to his strengths but fields is going to have to expand his game to some of the things getsy likes to call also

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m not advocating for bell. I’m just saying can’t skip on talent just cause of fields. We also have Pringle and Mooney for speed

Yeah and I am saying that Bell is a good college player that I don't think is actually particularly talented and certainly does not fit the profile of prospect Poles and Eberflus claim they are looking for. They were quite adamant they wanted fast and athletic guys at all levels. That simply is not Bell.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not because of the school, but style of play he reminds me of Earl Bennett. Bennett's measurable were a bit better but he wasn't a burner. He was steady and made plays. Now when he got match up with the other teams better DBs he disappeared, but had a place on the roster. I wouldn't go out of my way to draft Bell, but would not be mad in the middle rounds as long as there are at least 2 WRs taken by the Bears. Watson/Pierce/etc then Bell

msadows

Liked Posts:
Seems like he like to see receivers open before he throws, so values guys who are good at separation.

I don't hate him by any means. I think he can be a #2 in the right situation.

Not saying you hate him. My bad.

Just know this conversation started because Remy always has a huge boner for the fast guys in every draft and like 90% of those guys fail.

David Bell reminds me a lot of boldin. Not every guy on the fields supposed to be a gamebreaker. Mooney/pringle are twigs, we still need someone who can handle the pounding in the slot.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah and I am saying that Bell is a good college player that I don't think is actually particularly talented and certainly does not fit the profile of prospect Poles and Eberflus claim they are looking for. They were quite adamant they wanted fast and athletic guys at all levels. That simply is not Bell.

We get it.

Different GM, different coach, same ol remy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it's more than that. If only that, it could be offset by special circumstances such as a weak 2022 draft class (in the teams position of need) compared to a stronger 2023 draft class.

Your example also leaves out the fact the the player that created additional value because of experience is also one year closer to no longer being on his rookie contract.

So there are most certainly mitigating factors that can offset your example.

I think it has a much to do with the uncertainty, of trading a known commodity for an unknow commodity, in which case you depreciate the value of the unknown.

Would the Houston Texans trade their 2023 first round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals, for their 2022 first round pick?

I think Cincy would do it in a heart beat.

In this particular case, if they just "swapped" 1sts with the Bears, and the Bears performed better than expectations, the Giants are screwed, If they knew for a fact that the Bears pick would be a top 3 pick, that changes things considerably, but there is no way of knowing that.

Um yes he is one year further away from his contract because he already provided you with 1 year of service so that is a quite irrelevant point. You are getting the player earlier so you getting value back earlier.

Cincy would do that trade in a heartbeat but would still require more draft capital. You can find no trade in NFL history where a team made a trade of a current pick for a future pick and did not get more value. Even in a scenario similar to yours.

And of course there is a way of knowing that. Go look up trades of future picks. Good teams trade with bad teams all the time. The team that is giving up the current year pick always gets more back period.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think Bell would be a solid receiving TE. Not so much a solid WR. In the NFL, he isn’t going to be bigger and stronger than every defender. You need athletic ability at this level to succeed. You don’t need to be an athletic freak…but to act like all that matters is college production? Foolishness…

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In NFL terms of a draft pick it is very simple: A guy I draft with this year's pick plays this year. Next year's pick doesn't play this year.
Correct which is the concept of time value.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's objectively not one of the worst. No one defines the 30th percentile of anything the worst. Has nothing to do with my appetite, has to do with English.

Of course they do. If I scored in the 30th percentile on an exam, I would call it the worst. In fact in my profession, failing the CPA or ACCA exam by that amount is cause for automatic firing.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Of course they do. If I scored in the 30th percentile on an exam, I would call it the worst. In fact in my profession, failing the CPA or ACCA exam by that amount is cause for automatic firing.
No. If 30% did worse than you, you are not one of the worst. You're bad, well below average, much worse than average.

96% of people who apply don't get into Harvard. That doesn't mean all those who fail to get in are the worst, which is analogous to your example.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Every team looks at fit when they draft. To pretend otherwise is ludicrous. Even if you ignore Fields, Eberflus whole philosophy is built on getting guys who are fast and athletic and having them out-effort every else. Bell is not fast and not athletic. He just doesn't fit sorry.

Like I am sorry to all the Bell fans. The dude had one of the worst RAS scores in 35 years. I recall having a similar argument with posters over the Great Riley Ridley. They talked up his route running and his hands and I noted that his RAS score sucked donkey balls. There are always exceptions but he has an uphill battle to be a productive player in the NFL because he is one of the least athletically gifted WRs in modern NFL history. I will take my chances on an Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin III before I do Bell.

Another team may find a useful player and good for them but he simply does not fit what Poles or Eberflus have stated they want in a prospect. It is as simple as that.
Do not fuck with the Cult of Bell. No matter how many times you explain that a contested catch in college is a pick in the pros and contest catch guy means can’t get open guy and that he’s slow, they’re all like, but he can separate! And then you patiently explain that he can only separate against dudes that aren’t going to sniff the NFL.

So, let The Cult of Bell worship their dude. He may surprise, somewhere, but, unless he plummets to the 6th, I wouldn’t want him taken with any of our precious few picks.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Bell would be a solid receiving TE. Not so much a solid WR. In the NFL, he isn’t going to be bigger and stronger than every defender. You need athletic ability at this level to succeed. You don’t need to be an athletic freak…but to act like all that matters is college production? Foolishness…
He's like 25lbs less than any NFL TE and under 6'1. He's not a TE.

Check out Cooper Kupp's RAS. Check out Tee Higgins. Plenty of guys have been stud WRs with poor athletic scores. And I don't think many people think Bell is going to be a stud.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Every team looks at fit when they draft. To pretend otherwise is ludicrous. Even if you ignore Fields, Eberflus whole philosophy is built on getting guys who are fast and athletic and having them out-effort every else. Bell is not fast and not athletic. He just doesn't fit sorry.

Like I am sorry to all the Bell fans. The dude had one of the worst RAS scores in 35 years. I recall having a similar argument with posters over the Great Riley Ridley. They talked up his route running and his hands and I noted that his RAS score sucked donkey balls. There are always exceptions but he has an uphill battle to be a productive player in the NFL because he is one of the least athletically gifted WRs in modern NFL history. I will take my chances on an Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin III before I do Bell.

Another team may find a useful player and good for them but he simply does not fit what Poles or Eberflus have stated they want in a prospect. It is as simple as that.
Eberflus' philosophy is fast and athletic for his defense but i wonder what L.Getsy will want for his offense....Hmmmmmm.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Do not fuck with the Cult of Bell. No matter how many times you explain that a contested catch in college is a pick in the pros and contest catch guy means can’t get open guy and that he’s slow, they’re all like, but he can separate! And then you patiently explain that he can only separate against dudes that aren’t going to sniff the NFL.

So, let The Cult of Bell worship their dude. He may surprise, somewhere, but, unless he plummets to the 6th, I wouldn’t want him taken with any of our precious few picks.
Weren't you super deep on KJ Hamler's dick? Like daily posts about how great he is?