*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Um yes he is one year further away from his contract because he already provided you with 1 year of service so that is a quite irrelevant point. You are getting the player earlier so you getting value back earlier.

Cincy would do that trade in a heartbeat but would still require more draft capital. You can find no trade in NFL history where a team made a trade of a current pick for a future pick and did not get more value. Even in a scenario similar to yours.

And of course there is a way of knowing that. Go look up trades of future picks. Good teams trade with bad teams all the time. The team that is giving up the current year pick always gets more back period.
None of my points were meant to be stand alone reasons to make that trade, so to argue them individually is ludicrous. They are merely factors to consider.

1 year of service has less value to a team in rebuild mode.

We are talking about a rather unique set of circumstances here. Giants need a QB, there are no good ones in this draft (their opinion). next year there are more. if that is there mindset, they need a QB, they want to draft one in 2023, and have the draft capital to do so,

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I know we're all desperate for the Bears to do something big, since everyone else is. But nothing about Poles' tenure so far should make you believe that he's going to pull off a big move to get the Bears a top 10 pick this year or a player on a big contract now or that needs to signed to a big contract shortly.

Ryan Pace wasn't even aggressive his first year or 2 on the job, and he's more aggressive than most.

So no, the Bears aren't going to trade a 2023 1st for a 2022 1st. They aren't going to trade Roquan for DK Metcalf or whatever, they aren't going to trade for Stefon Diggs.
And if that's what Poles does as you say it's the right call.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
years ago i attended this fantasy baseball symposium with some hardcore draftniks, one of them had a rule he said always go against positional runs, so if there's a run on WR's for instance it's human nature to panic, but why take the 10th best WR when you can get the 2nd rated TE or 5th rated CB or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if they take a LB, DT or OL with the initial second rounder.....of course if Fields flops this year they've got an entirely new set of issues to deal with
That makes sense but I can see with human nature why it's had to actually have the guts to do it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This looks oddly familiar to Tez Tabor's Ras scores.......

Nah even he was higher

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I've been hoping Jordan Davis would inexplicably fall to the Bears in the 2nd round. That guy was awesome every time I watched him in college.
Unless he's really quick he does not fit what they look for, I did read he is pretty quick but I doubt he makes it out of Rd 1, especially the Chargers.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Not following the David Bell love fest. He’s a relatively low ceiling WR. The NFL is shifting towards explosive playmakers.
I def wouldn't mind getting him in a later round if available. I'm all for getting a guy that can HELP, not necessarily dying for them to reach for a "star". Especially if it involves trading away picks.

Its win if we keep all of our picks and still get one of the many WRs in this draft that can still help us.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Who are the legions of teams that wish that they could get JF from the Bears?
I feel like Steeler fans, for one. And a lot to the teams that passed on JF in the draft (Lions, Giants fans). They out there..

Plus with even Trubisky having a market in this league, if JF happens to "fail" here, I'm about 100% sure most outside of Chi will chalk it up to our franchise's inability to develop QBs in general and try to rehabilitate him given the talent he has shown up until this point.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
None of my points were meant to be stand alone reasons to make that trade, so to argue them individually is ludicrous. They are merely factors to consider.

1 year of service has less value to a team in rebuild mode.

We are talking about a rather unique set of circumstances here. Giants need a QB, there are no good ones in this draft (their opinion). next year there are more. if that is there mindset, they need a QB, they want to draft one in 2023, and have the draft capital to do so,

In order to rebuild you need guys to gain experience and develop so 1 year of service is still important to a rebuilding team because it is one year of a player developing and getting better.

I am sure other factors play a role. The main point is the main issue is obviously time value. This is pretty much a fairly universal concept whether you talking players, draft picks or anything else.