*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, yeah I'm talking "on paper" with the Bears, just like I am with every other team. Aren't you doing the same by treating unproven players like they will all pan out to be "decent"?

And that's not to say I don't feel good about both groups. I've said since it was clear the Bears weren't getting Bates that Pickens and a good OL pick would make me feel much better about the offense.

Poles is building the team the right way. They will be young, cheap and talented at all but the LG position on O. That's fine. But they aren't the only ones adding draft picks, and the teams as bad as they are "on paper" all have multiple chances to get better at WR and OL before the Bears have 1. Again, not Poles' fault, but they have a lot to prove before they'd get out of the talent hole Pace dug.

No I am not saying they will pan out. I simply dont know. I allow for the possibility that they may pan out. Your statement seemed to suggest a level of certainty about the outcome that is unsupported at this time.

I also wouldnt say we had a talent hole. We needed more talent but we also traded Mack and did not resign A-Rob or an equivalent WR. I am fine Poles did not do that or re-sign Daniel for that matter but those were talented players he chose not to retain.

In the parity world of the NFL the Bears are like most of the NFL. They are a few smart moves from competing for the playoffs and a few bad moves from competing for a top 10 pick. Time will tell if Poles has made smart or bad moves.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
No I am not saying they will pan out. I simply dont know. I allow for the possibility that they may pan out. Your statement seemed to suggest a level of certainty about the outcome that is unsupported at this time.

I also wouldnt say we had a talent hole. We needed more talent but we also traded Mack and did not resign A-Rob or an equivalent WR. I am fine Poles did not do that or re-sign Daniel for that matter but those were talented players he chose not to retain.

In the parity world of the NFL the Bears are like most of the NFL. They are a few smart moves from competing for the playoffs and a few bad moves from competing for a top 10 pick. Time will tell if Poles has made smart or bad moves.
I wasn't saying that at all. Simply saying that talent wise, on paper (which is all we have to go on right now), they are bottom 5 WR group and bottom 10 OL.....even if they add Day 2 picks to both rooms. I didn't make any suggestion about the outcome. Just about the players on the roster.

But I think we can agree that we'd both be fine with 3 OL starters on rookie deals, 2 of them top 50 (or at least 75) picks and a veteran with some upside at another spot would have the makings of a nice OL. Same with WR. A steal 5th round pick at one spot, potentially a top 50 pick perhaps even one w/ 1st round ability, and a cheap vet with upside in Pringle could be nice as well. But it's a LOT of inexperience in both groups and not as much talent as teams that have spent money on quality established FAs, have better homegrown talent w/ better experience, and/or have/had the chance to add 1st round picks to their team.

The Bears haven't used a 1st round pick on a non-QB since Kevin White. And while they did get contributions from Trubisky, Daniels, Miller (51st pick) and Kmet so far. But the only top 50 talents the Bears have "hit" on offensively since 2010 are Kyle Long and Alshon Jeffery. That's 1 second contract from the top 50 on offense in 12 years (to be fair Whitehair was 56th pick, so close enough). That's a talent hole....on that side of the ball (which is what I've been talking about).

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Bo Melton has been my guy but he was my late round sleeper weeks ago and now seems to be climbing up boards to the mid rounds.
I fucking love that guy. I see him being plan B to Skyy. His hands and speed will make Fields’ day easy and provide opportunity for the other dudes to eat, nom nom.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
They used him like a glorified FB! He can block like a motherfucker. I like him. I think he’s going a lot earlier than people think.
Yeah, he has a lot of fans in the Twitter draft community. 6'7", runs a 4.6. He didn't do anything at wide open passing attack at OK State, but really shined at Virginia this year. He's a HUGE seam weapon (literally and figuratively). Almost 14 yards per catch is big time downfield production for a TE. Could be a guy who's a better pro than college player. Bears probably aren't too interested though after O'Shaughnessy and Griffin signed. 4 deep at TE, with 3 who played over 50% of their team's snaps last year.

Canth

Liked Posts:

Eh, Dan spent nearly that entire vid whining about people whining/overreacting.

I find the Dan and Dionne vids to be very hit and miss in terms of talking actual football or what is going on in the drills. This one was a bit of a miss. Supposedly was going to be a discussion about the minicamp and they really only talked/defended Dan's twitter statements about Fields' bad 3rd day. They had no discussion about how anyone, including Fields, looked on day 1 or 2. They had no discussion really about how anyone on defense looked other than in general, the defense must have had a good day 3 at Fields' expense.

I appreciate the overall sentiment they were trying to give that it's April, be patient, there is a lot of work left to do in what is clearly a Bears rebuild. I just wish they had talked a bit more about what seemed to be going wrong on day 3 or how things looked on day 1 and 2 if that was going to be a minicamp summary vid. Although I do understand how the last impression on day 3 is the one that will stick with people.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I'd inquire. I didn't hear good things last year about him though. It depends how much of a discount the Giants would be willing to take. He's still young though, if the Bears wanted him, he would fit with the rebuild.

Did anyone watch the Giants to know just how bad he looked?
He had Covid 2 times plus injuries and missed most games, only 1 good game, didn't/hasn't shown for OTA's with a new regime, sounds like he's not very smart.