Official Tech Thread(PC/Mac/Audio/Electronics ETC)

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
:lmao: at Apple's iFail today.

As much as I'd love to have one, an iPhone is pretty much out. If I stay with Verizon, I'm probably gonna get a Droid. If I switch carriers, I'm probably gonna get a Blackberry.

Last edited:

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol yeah and most of their commercials on the iPhone show features that Droid has.

Exclusive my ass.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Had to get a new computer. My old Mac mini wouldn't boot up. Got a new Mac mini. Been playing around with it for about a week now. Overall, I enjoy it.

Pros: Faster than my old one, latest software (couldn't upgrade my old one because of the outdated processor), being able to use apps and I like the sharper graphics.

Cons: No internal optical disc drive, so I can't watch my DVDs on it, but that's a problem that can be remedied cheaply by buying and hooking up an external drive.

I hope my brother-in-law is able to recover the data on my old hard drive. My biggest hope is that he can recover the pictures, particularly the ones of my mom. Those are irreplaceable.

21uIZHcdyhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's the one I'm considering buying:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KQ0S8S/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01SZMHQ4CKTCRX5SQAFJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: Samsung SE-208AB/TSBS External DVD-Writer - Black: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I really don't like slim drives, especially if you need to trust the drive to burn long-term backups of important data.

I recommend getting a 5.25" external enclosure. Then buy the drive of your choice. Those external enclosures are VERY useful. If the drive goes bad, then you just replace the drive. If you buy a DVDRW+-, and want a Bluray drive later on, just swap it. You can even turn them into an external hard drive. IMO, it's a good investment for someone without an optical drive in their system.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really don't like slim drives, especially if you need to trust the drive to burn long-term backups of important data.

I recommend getting a 5.25" external enclosure. Then buy the drive of your choice. Those external enclosures are VERY useful. If the drive goes bad, then you just replace the drive. If you buy a DVDRW+-, and want a Bluray drive later on, just swap it. You can even turn them into an external hard drive. IMO, it's a good investment for someone without an optical drive in their system.

Eh, I just really use it for loading CDs onto iTunes and watching DVDs. It's a hell of a lot quieter than the internal drive on my old computer. Also, I haven't gotten one playback error message like I used to get.

I did look into getting a Blu-ray drive, but those are still expensive.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, Windows 8 was designed by marketing people. :smh:

It doesn't matter, any real techie uses linux, while the gadgeteers can fight over which big company can predict it's users needs and wants better. LOL

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Windows 8 was designed by marketing people. :smh:

It doesn't matter, any real techie uses linux, while the gadgeteers can fight over which big company can predict it's users needs and wants better. LOL
What is your best guess for the first Windows 8 hack? I'm guessing ten minutes into day one of the release.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Touchscreens are fine for smartphones and tablets, but I really don't see it working for desktop PCs or even laptops. If you're on a desktop right now, try touching the screen with your hand. Uncomfortable, isn't it?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
What is your best guess for the first Windows 8 hack? I'm guessing ten minutes into day one of the release.

Well, it's going to get hacked soon, because people want to pirate it. :shifty:

People have to WANT to hack something. It's not about security. So if a lot of people buy Windows 8, then people will want to hack it. In fact, if you want OSX to stay secure, you might not want it to ever reach a 50% share worldwide. It's not an attack on Apple, but the reality of where the motives are and best interests for any black-hats to get the most out of their time.