Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
His signing was when all the bad weather happened. So it's entirely plausible that set back some of the process given I believe they typically want to do that in chicago. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If memory serves, they are still at 39 on the 40 man roster which would indicate they still have a slot lined up for him. They had to outright Clakin to AAA off the 40 man to sign Barnette.

As for non-roster invites, they really have nothing to do with the 40 man because they are "non-rostered." I mean I suppose you could argue that they have a hard limit on players with the big league side of camp vs the minor league portion but that doesn't seem like a huge issue. It could also be the fact that the cubs just recently did instructional league stuff. In the past that was done in the fall after the season but they switched it up this year to be right before ST. It's possible some of the guys who may be invited as prospects were still being evaluated.

Thanks, Beck. I'll agree that the weather and such could have something to do with it. But I will note that, of the more than a dozen agreements reported since 1/24, as of yesterday he was the only one who had not completed the process -- including the physical -- and signed the contract. And the weather affected all of them, too. It's been a severe winter all across the country, really, not just in Chicago.

It just has this feeling about it that something ain't quite right back behind the curtains. I imagine the question will be asked, pointedly and publicly by the sportswriters, if Brach isn't signed before pitchers and catchers report in a week.

-Doug

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Thanks, Beck. I'll agree that the weather and such could have something to do with it. But I will note that, of the more than a dozen agreements reported since 1/24, as of yesterday he was the only one who had not completed the process -- including the physical -- and signed the contract. And the weather affected all of them, too. It's been a severe winter all across the country, really, not just in Chicago.

It just has this feeling about it that something ain't quite right back behind the curtains. I imagine the question will be asked, pointedly and publicly by the sportswriters, if Brach isn't signed before pitchers and catchers report in a week.

-Doug

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Brach was pitching at the end of september so I doubt he has anything physically wrong. In fact his time post trade deadline with atlanta was quite good.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Anyone happen to have a baseball america subscription? Saw this but it's locked behind a paywall

Ben Badler
@BenBadler
Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Phillies, Rangers and other clubs expected to sign some of the top 2019 international prospects for July 2.

More names, reports and videos at BA:http://bit.ly/2GepnMa

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Anyone happen to have a baseball america subscription? Saw this but it's locked behind a paywall

Nevermind this. Using my college degree I figured out how to bypass their crap via html....

Ronnier Quintero, C, Venezuela
Team: Cubs

Given the difficulties for players in Venezuela right now, some of them have spent a lot of time living and training in the Dominican Republic, which has been the case for Quintero, who is with Jaime Ramos. Quintero is a power-hitting catcher, generating easy pop from left-center over to his pull side. He has a strong arm too, though several scouts have said he will need to work at his receiving to stay behind the plate.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

As though on cue from previous comments...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
No Luke Hagerty on that roster.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Less then a week til ST, have to think something going to happen for the cubs this week RE players..
Hard to believe that the only addition to the offense will be Descalso and that their planning on having Caratini as their backup Catcher..

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Shocked there wasn't outrage like this towards Wood. Dude was injured in his teniour as a Cub. What a bum. Best Cub was a bag of injury and yep fans loved him.

Almost want to play the race card/white privilege with this honestly.

The race card, are you kidding me?

Wood earned his stripes with the Cubs and was given the benefit of the doubt when he developed arm problems.

Darvish hasn't done fucking squadoosh for the Cubs. And we are paying him a hell of a lot more money than we ever paid Wood.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Epstein went all in when he traded Torres, and when he traded Cease and Eloy. You don't count that as sacrificing the future?

Going "all in" and sacrificing some of your future for a better chance in the playoffs are two different things. Don't strain your back moving the goalposts.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Wood earned his stripes with the Cubs and was given the benefit of the doubt when he developed arm problems.

Darvish hasn't done fucking squadoosh for the Cubs. And we are paying him a hell of a lot more money than we ever paid Wood.

The salary doesn't make the injury lessen. He "hasn't done squadoosh" because he was hurt in his first year with the team. Give it a rest already.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
The salary doesn't make the injury lessen. He "hasn't done squadoosh" because he was hurt in his first year with the team. Give it a rest already.

You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with race. Wood earned his stripes with the Cubs.

Darvish is a pussy who whines about Cubs fans hating him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Darvish is 1000% more accomplished as a pitcher than Wood EVER was. Striking out 20 guys is not a free pass.

You have to look at the history of a player. You are looking at as 126m. Errrr bust.....Puss.

It comes down to perception and yours is off. You are looking at Wood as half full and Darvish as half empty.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Darvish is 1000% more accomplished as a pitcher than Wood EVER was. Striking out 20 guys is not a free pass.

You have to look at the history of a player. You are looking at as 126m. Errrr bust.....Puss.

It comes down to perception and yours is off. You are looking at Wood as half full and Darvish as half empty.

Yes but I don't care what Darvish did before he came to Chicago. What good does that do us?

We aren't paying him for what he did in Texas and LA, we are paying him for what he's doing for us, which so far is squadoosh.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with race. Wood earned his stripes with the Cubs.

Darvish is a pussy who whines about Cubs fans hating him.

How so? He strikes out 20. Then next year goes on the DL with TJ. Then goes back on the DL after 2003. Then fails again and again until 2007 they do a BP experiment. Then he closes in 2008. Then they let him walk vs pay him.

How is that earning his stripes? This is more about a guy that was plagued by injuries his whole career.

Don't get me wrong. I love Woody but I'm not ignorant to facts

Wood never met his potential as a pitcher and Cubs are 100% behind him.

Yu comes in worthy of a 126M deal and gets injured.

I look at it as he had a response that had to come from somewhere. This is closer to Milton Bradley than Kerry Wood. You don't act like there is a issue when there is none.

IMO if it was Jake and he blew up his arm the ire would have been less and the red flags were already showing.

I see it as Theo offered Jake the deal first and he didn't take it. Went to Philly and tanked the 2ND half.

Yu came in off and ended up with a bone bruse. Again a common issue. And now he is a puss...wow.

Ya know I would get it if you were bitching about Chatwood. He had no excuse for walking a guy per inning. ....still waiting on that ire box.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes but I don't care what Darvish did before he came to Chicago. What good does that do us?

We aren't paying him for what he did in Texas and LA, we are paying him for what he's doing for us, which so far is squadoosh.

Actually you are paying for past performance. A contract is based off of past performance. Injury is just part of the game.

How about letting him go out and pitch 100% and make a educated logical opinion vs a emotional reaction.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
How about letting him go out and pitch 100% and make a educated logical opinion vs a emotional reaction.

Because then he won't feel like the tough guy he imagines himself to be.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Actually you are paying for past performance. A contract is based off of past performance. Injury is just part of the game.

We all know injury is part of the game, the question has always been a) when did he get that bone bruise and b) damn he sucked in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Harper finally talks to one of the teams that made the most sense to go play for, the SF Giants. Maybe they finally get a shot choose Harper or Heyward.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Still feel Harper wants to be a cub..
Were a week away til ST and I'm sure he has offers on table from other teams but not interested in teams

Cubs will get him for something like
3 yrs 105 mil

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Were a week away til ST and I'm sure he has offers on table from other teams but not interested in teams

3 yrs 105 mil

Bold prediction, but I like it.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

3 yrs 105 mil

That would make free agent year 2021 be Harper, Bryant, Rizzo, Baez and Schwarber and correct me if I am wrong, Hendricks. You are looking at a billion dollar summer.