Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's just like your opinion man. I understand why you think that's the case but what I will tell you is Machado was a no doubt SS in the minors. The only reason he moved off SS in the first place was baltimore already had a gold glove SS in JJ hardy. Javy always had SS range/arm but the guy has never been good at routine plays. Plus, what you're missing is just how much impact Javy has in the run game at 2B. His quick tags are something that separates him from others. That's not something you get from him at SS.

-6.5 UZR disagrees
-6.9 UZR150 supports.
-10.4 RngR supports.

But you know your opinion man and stuff.

He has a great arm though.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
-6.5 UZR disagrees
-6.9 UZR150 supports.
-10.4 RngR supports.

But you know your opinion man and stuff.

He has a great arm though.

I mean look at what Machado has done with the dodgers. His numbers are fine. And the point here is go look at any scouting report prior to him coming to the majors. The guy was thought of as a good ss.

He's got the tools and actions to be a good defensive shortstop, though some think eventually he'll get too big and will have to move to third.

He's 6'3 185 now so I wouldn't exactly call that "too big."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly he has not flipped the switch for LA. NL was the weaker league and they most likely would have been spanked again by the Astros.

He is not going to make the Cubs the best team in baseball.

Moses would toss tablets at that false idol also.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On Grandal: I believe that he would be cheap because of his inability to block this post season. But I feel if Cartiani was hitting MLB as he did AAA and has a plus skill like framing this would be a pointless debate.

I believe the facts will pile up and they will look at the finished output from Wilson and the fact that no catcher was trust worthy. That leads me to believe that this will be a key area of improvement.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly he has not flipped the switch for LA. NL was the weaker league and they most likely would have been spanked again by the Astros.

He is not going to make the Cubs the best team in baseball.

Moses would toss tablets at that false idol also.

Not sure what you're talking about here... I was referring to his defensive metrics. He was +6 DRS in LA and 2.7 UZR/150 vs -18 and -11.8 in Baltimore. To sit here and say Baez who was +2 and -1.3 in similar amount of time to his LA split is some how substantially better is ignorant of the numbers.

And obviously that would appear to be cherry picking data but A) he hadn't played SS in a number of years B) it fits the narrative of him as a SS prospect and C) it's more recent data. Plus I am certain LA is far better at positioning it's defenders based on data than Baltimore is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can spin it as you want. But Baez has not had a chance to settle into SS either with all of the position switching Joe does.

Basically it comes down to you are skewing the data and looking for justification and not respecting Baez’s situation the same. you have a bias going in and are not being objective here..

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Just read that Theo looking to have Morrow in a more structured role

Wonder if that means limiting him to the 7th and 8th inning and looking for another closer

Me personally, i wouldn't mind if they just went with a rotation of relievers to close games out

I am not sure this is new news. He told Joe he did not want Morrow pitching three days in a row, he did, his last pitch was June 22nd. I really cannot see him going to the 7th or the 8th since Joe over abuses them on a daily basis. So all this tells me is dammit, Joe will listen to me this year and I am using the final year lame duck to make sure he does.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You can spin it as you want. But Baez has not had a chance to settle into SS either with all of the position switching Joe does.

Basically it comes down to you are skewing the data and looking for justification and not respecting Baez’s situation the same. you have a bias going in and are not being objective here..

Your best defensive guy needs to be the SS. I still cannot say I have ever seen the strong enough arm from Russell to consistently make that throw from the hole. Three steps on the grass and no problem for Baez.

Its just who you have on the rest of the team. Zobrist, Happ, Bote, MsStella, second base is covered. Get a nice cycle going there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Your best defensive guy needs to be the SS. I still cannot say I have ever seen the strong enough arm from Russell to consistently make that throw from the hole. Three steps on the grass and no problem for Baez.

Its just who you have on the rest of the team. Zobrist, Happ, Bote, MsStella, second base is covered. Get a nice cycle going there.

The biggest issue that I have is signing a mega like that handcuffs them from retaining Bryant. If they did that deal they might as well trade Bryant then.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The biggest issue that I have is signing a mega like that handcuffs them from retaining Bryant. If they did that deal they might as well trade Bryant then.

Well, I think Theo will take a year off from touching another starter and he feels pressured to make a move. If you are bringing in Harper, that is the first step to retaining Bryant. But in all honesty, if Vegas gets a franchise, they would both want to go there. That is why I cant believe Harper wants a 10 year deal.

I know the offense was bad so they traded for Murphy, but we need to admit that was a bad move. He was never ever a leadoff hitter, had no speed and poor hands. They did not get the 2015 Murphy that killed the cubs in the playoffs. We got another DH that needed a position.

I thought it was nuts to want Machado when there was talk of trading for him, I still think its nuts. He made the difference if one game down the stretch for the dodgers, is demanding shortstop and that leads to the second reason Bryant would want to stay here is leave him at third base. We FINALLY got a 3Bman that can allow us to forget the greatest cub 3Bman of all time in Santo, just leave him there and just pray that Heyward opts out to get us that room.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why? What the rush

They got 3 seasons before Bryant a FA
Might as well play it out and see what type if player Bryant becomes

Be kinda silly to pass up on top FAs because you're worried about paying Bryant in 3 years

What if Bryant ends up being just a regular good player

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why? What the rush

They got 3 seasons before Bryant a FA
Might as well play it out and see what type if player Bryant becomes

Be kinda silly to pass up on top FAs because you're worried about paying Bryant in 3 years

What if Bryant ends up being just a regular good player

Return value. 3 years of control on Bryant you can ask for a top 5 pitching prospect and more.

That is a major reason why the mega talk is absurd

But if they feel that investing 300M+ into a 26 YO makes more sense than waiting on Boras’ asking price for a 30 YO Bryant then I get it if they did.

Both well..doubt it seriously.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Return value. 3 years of control on Bryant you can ask for a top 5 pitching prospect and more.

That is a major reason why the mega talk is absurd

But if they feel that investing 300M+ into a 26 YO makes more sense than waiting on Boras’ asking price for a 30 YO Bryant then I get it if they did.

Both well..doubt it seriously.
So trade away 3 years of Kris Bryant potential while their trying to win championships now for pitching prospects that might be MLB ready in 3+ years

Id rather have an awesome team the next 3 years that will contend for championships and wait till offseason 2021 to see what theyll have in 2022

Im sure were gonna see quite a few new faces by then and that tax thing will be much higher

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So trade away 3 years of Kris Bryant potential while their trying to win championships now for pitching prospects that might be MLB ready in 3+ years

Id rather have an awesome team the next 3 years that will contend for championships and wait till offseason 2021 to see what theyll have in 2022

Im sure were gonna see quite a few new faces by then and that tax thing will be much higher

There is that also.

After seeing how Shark and Arrieta when well wishful thinking there.

What I believe happens is no mega. They currently have 3 going on and I don’t see 4.

I do see that they will look at the data on Contreras and get a legit back up. If they would have let Kyle catch this could have been easily solved internally. Now they have to reduce Contreras’ PA’s or see another drop off in Aug. Cartiani is not a solution. Suzuki IMO is the best move. Then they can add AB’s in LF for Schwarber.

Over all I feel that having Bryant and Darvish healthy with a full year of Chavez makes them better naturally. Then they have to reinforce with quality. As in a solid late inning guy. Boston has become a force there. Eovidelli just made the 7-9 unwinnable if behind. The Cubs should value the worth of a shut down pen.

After that Russell? Cut and replace or push out there in May and slide Baez back to 2B? This one is a pickle.

OF? Almora dropped off but as Beck said it was after Joe pulled him from the top. Almora/Heyward combo I’m fine with as they put the ball in play. I just don’t see a massive upgrade at CF to justify a move.

So IMO it is not worth signing Manny unless they want to trade Bryant for a future rotation. And I mean a ransom of pitching. Then I’m pretty much I get it. Boras sucks and this deal is not about getting another Pujos contract.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

How the fuck is it being "biased" to have an opinion that Machado can play SS as good as Baez? He was a gold glove 3B and came up through the minors as a SS. It's not like I'm inventing him being good defensively out of whole cloth. Have anywhere in this discussion I suggested Baez is a bad defender? No. I just think he's better at 2B which isn't some sort of giant stretch. And let's say you're right. Let's say he's marginally better than Machado at SS. So what? Does that suddenly make Machado not worth getting? Because no matter what he's a great bat to add to the line up. Was Derek Jeter a better SS than Alex Rodriguez? No. But the Yankees made a move to get ARod's bat anyways.

You're arguing points that don't even matter. Machado isn't bad enough at SS that it's a net loss. Do you know how I know this? Because he's playing SS in the fucking world series. So, it's not like you're playing... idk Schwarber at SS suddenly. The guy can play SS and a smart team(LA) is my proof.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
How the fuck is it being "biased" to have an opinion that Machado can play SS as good as Baez? He was a gold glove 3B and came up through the minors as a SS. It's not like I'm inventing him being good defensively out of whole cloth. Have anywhere in this discussion I suggested Baez is a bad defender? No. I just think he's better at 2B which isn't some sort of giant stretch. And let's say you're right. Let's say he's marginally better than Machado at SS. So what? Does that suddenly make Machado not worth getting? Because no matter what he's a great bat to add to the line up. Was Derek Jeter a better SS than Alex Rodriguez? No. But the Yankees made a move to get ARod's bat anyways.

You're arguing points that don't even matter. Machado isn't bad enough at SS that it's a net loss. Do you know how I know this? Because he's playing SS in the fucking world series. So, it's not like you're playing... idk Schwarber at SS suddenly. The guy can play SS and a smart team(LA) is my proof.

Beck, the fucking baltimore orioles knew he was no longer a ss and moved him for JJ Hardy. I really find it hard to believe he should be moving Baez off shortstop.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The number of things you claim to know that cannot possibly be known is astounding.

this is unbelievable in your eyes? I really dont know why you are reading what this idiot writes as fact, I guess you just like to feel smarter that someone here so you continue to dog my posts. What is so hard with just ignoring them? Put something out there for the discussion instead of just agreeing with the popular vote.