Okay this is Jimmy Butler's team

czman

Liked Posts:
Just because Iverson and LeBron, for example, weren't both "superstars" at the same time, it doesn't mean there weren't many more than three.

???

I think the fact that I said 2-3 at a times means that it is very important.

We can agree to disagree. I am not going to argue the word superstar. Unless we agree on that definition we can't come to a consensus. I am sure we don't define the word in the same way.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wut.

Just because Iverson and LeBron, for example, weren't both "superstars" at the same time, it doesn't mean there weren't many more than three. The fact that you don't consider a group of players that combined for 4 MVPs and another guy with like three scoring titles "superstars" says a lot about your opinion.
I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Czman's definition of a superstar is incredibly strict. As such, there will be much disagreement beyond the obvious choices. For him there can only be a couple of superstars at a given time...the top of the top if you will. There's nothing wrong with that imo. He's free to define it that way.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Czman's definition of a superstar is incredibly strict. As such, there will be much disagreement beyond the obvious choices. For him there can only be a couple of superstars at a given time...the top of the top if you will. There's nothing wrong with that imo. He's free to define it that way.
I am curious as to what his given criteria is for a Superstar.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
:rose:

czman

Liked Posts:

I am surprised more people do not remember this from a few years ago. I think Scoot was even in on thread.

I think clone can attest that I have not wavered.

czman

Liked Posts:
I am curious as to what his given criteria is for a Superstar.

I would say a star is something close to what people are talking about. I think there are stars and then there are superstars.

For me a superstar is someone who can carry a team through multiple rounds of the playoffs as the clearly the best player pretty much every night. Regular seasons is where stars are made and the postseason is where superstars are made. That is why there can only be a few any given year. I would say 4 at the most. I would really like to see a player do it for a few seasons. That is where I would call a player a superstar. Have a 3 year period where you carry your team through multiple rounds as of the playoffs and be the best player on the floor almost every night. At least until you ran until a team with another superstar. At that point, you have to hold you own.

I just think that the word superstar should be held for the top tier guys who consistently do it to it in the postseason. We can call all the tmacs Stars.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
one concern i have of Butler is that his game may be predicated too much on freethrows

hes not particularly great at anything on offense besides bulldozing to the rim and picking up fouls. his jumper is spotty at best, his handles/passing are fine but not impressive and the ball does seem to stick when it hits his hands

does he make teammates better? are we gonna put our full trust in his iso game to win us games come post season? IMO Jimmy is more like a prime Joe Johnson than a Kobe/Wade.

basically a great player that'll carry you to the playoffs but maybe not one that can take you all the way. i mean believe me i'd love if Jimmy was a true superstar that makes the move on from Derrick MUCH easier...but im buying it yet

czman

Liked Posts:
one concern i have of Butler is that his game may be predicated too much on freethrows

hes not practically great at anything on offense besides bulldozing to the rim and picking up fouls. his jumper is spotty at best, his handles/passing are fine but not impressive and the ball does seem to stick when it hits his hands

does he make teammates better? are we gonna put our full trust in his iso game to win us games come post season? IMO Jimmy is more like a prime Joe Johnson than a Kobe/Wade.

basically a great player that'll carry you to the playoffs but maybe not one that can take you all the way. i mean believe me i'd love if Jimmy was a true superstar that makes the move on from Derrick MUCH easier...but im buying it yet

The playoffs are often times about making shots in the last 5 minutes of the game against good defense where the refs are not calling many fouls. They have the exact same problems that they had last season. I don't care how many points the Bulls score a game. FG% for and against is one of the best indicators of playoff success.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am surprised more people do not remember this from a few years ago. I think Scoot was even in on thread.

I think clone can attest that I have not wavered.
Memories can be short

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
what a sorry excuse Butler is with 2-11 for 4 points

trade this scrub while he still has value

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

hes not particularly great at anything on offense besides bulldozing to the rim and picking up fouls. his jumper is spotty at best, his handles/passing are fine but not impressive and the ball does seem to stick when it hits his hands

see that has the opposite effect on how I feel about jimmys game. I love the fact that free throws are such a big part of his game. youll have off shooting nights and what not, but his ability to hit over 80% of his free throws and ability to get to the line that helps him be a good player the majority of games.

as far as if jimmy is a superstar or not would depend on your definition of one judging off the conversation that has been floating around. a better question might be, can the bulls win a title with jimmy as the #1 guy on the team. personally, I think they can if they surround him with the right players. however, I fear that jimmy's prime years(presently thru the next 4-5) the bulls wont make that happen. timing is everything

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Kemba with 52-9-8

i think he has the potential to be the most dominant point guard since Magic

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kemba with 52-9-8

Lets see if he can back it up with a 4 point performance next game then we will really be cooking.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Kemba with 52-9-8

you obviously never saw magic play then. kemba doesn't belong even mentioned in the same sentence as magic

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He was being sarcastic. He just said that cause people were comparing Jimmy to a prime Wade after his big games.

got ya....that's what I get for coming in mid convo lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
as far as jimmy butler comparisons go, i think his game reminds me of manu in all seriousness