On board the Nelson train

msadows

Liked Posts:
You said it yourself that Nelson is likely a Hall of Famer at the minimum an All-Pro for 10 years. Ridley is a polished WR. No way am I taking a polished player over a potential Hall of Famer, and I don't care what position they play. The Bears are a rebuilding team. Rebuilding teams do not have the luxury of drafting based on need. They need to draft the BPA, or they will be rebuilding for a long time.

The rules are such that it's almost impossible for DBs to cover WRs for more than a few seconds. Give Trubisky the time and average WRs, and the Bears WR output will be sufficient.

There were plenty of situations last year when we gave mitch ample time to throw and the WR's didnt get open. Our oline was not that bad last year, like i said, mitch put a lot of his sacks and pressure upon himself by having bad pocket awareness.

Yea, nelson more than likely is a pro bowler. Too bad its at a position that has one of the lowest values in the league. A position where you find pro bowlers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds on a regular basis. You say that a rebuilding team needs to fill holes, so why not get the best WR/CB/ILB in the draft, AND the 2nd best guard in the draft.

Makes a lot more sense to me than getting the 4th best CB and 4th best WR in the draft at 39 and taking the best guard.

I honestly just hope we go out and sign fulton or norwell so it shuts people up about grabbing nelson at #8. Ive said it before, all the top scoring offenses in the league this past year didnt have a guard taken in the first round. There is ZERO premium put on the position, and theres almost always a pro bowl caliber talent available in free agency. Just makes a lot more sense to swing on someone like ridley and hope he becomes marvin harrison. You cant find elite WR talent in free agency, you can find elite guard talent.

Thats the major difference.

Gaucho

Liked Posts:
Gimme Isaiah Wynn @39 over Nelson @8

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
I like that Nelson actually looks like the school bully.

Don't bring your lunch pail because he's kicking the shit out of you and stealing it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Look, guys, it's a numbers game.

The Bears, God-willing, won't pick this high again for a long time. You've got to get a playmaker while you can. That means edge-rusher. That means receiver. That means a premium defensive back. Not a guard---I'm sorry. I'll never scoff at a great guard. If the Bears get him at 8, I'll root for him to be the best damn guard he can be. But come on.

And all this talk of "But he's probably a Hall of Famer!". Yeah, heard that before. Lots of times. Basically every year that an OL is projected to be a top 10 pick, people peg him as a surefire HOFer and at least a perennial All Pro----And those people are wrong most of the time.

It's a numbers game. Which would you rather have?:

An effective player at a premium position (pass rusher, d-back, receiver) and a really good OG

or

An effective OG and a really good premium position player (pass rusher, d-back, receiver)

The answer seems obvious to me.

I'm on-board with the Bears getting the best damn player they can at #8. I just have a tough time believing that person is an offensive guard.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wouldn’t hate Nelson with the first pick in a vacuum, but it would highlight that it really was Pace’s plan to replace a Pro Bowl OL with a lesser rookie OG that cost a first—That seems like a wasteful, shitty plan to me. Like, replace-Marshall-with-White shitty.

If Sitton wasn’t worth the money, why would a lesser version be worth a first?

Younger, more mobile for the new O and better potential going forward? Again, I don't like Gs this early but I don't see this as the Marshall, White compare for some obvious reasons. Marshall was gone either way and White has been perennially injured. We really don't have a good perspective on that. Marshall was the reason he needed replacing like so many times before. That wasn't on Pace or if it was, it was a good decision as it did help get the house in much needed order. He's been very unlucky at the WR position but he still needs to wear the failure. I don't think losing Marshall was part of the down side relative to the entire team dynamic.

Time catches up with everyone and Pace is trying to build OL chemistry for the long haul which Sitton will not be part of. My issues with selecting Nelson at 8 are 2 fold and have little to do with replacing an aging and slowing 10 year vet and remember that Sitton has been showing signs of being a lesser version of himself and is not getting any younger. One, Nelson is a G and 2, we should replace Sitton in FA.

Look, if Nelson is that force that gets you 2 yards on every 3 or 4th and short, he's actually worth it but that sort of power is difficult to project from the college game. Optimistic evaluations happen all the time when projecting strong OL and big backs to the NFL. Every indication is that he'll be a great G in the NFL but, for me, to be worth the 8th pick, he needs to be a perennial PBer.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Combine and FA are also gonna have a play in the way the draft plays out.

Say we franchise fuller and sign another top CB. Then Edmunds and Davenport have meh combines and or one of them had an issue before the draft. Maybe Nelson then makes sense?

Is too early to say right now. We don't even know how the team shapes up yet, so we don't even know our needs.

All may be a moot point anyway. Now Mayock also saying he could go in the top 5...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-quenton-nelson-as-a-potential-top-five-pick/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
27972273_1750888118266443_8634028890496056911_n.jpg

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Combine and FA are also gonna have a play in the way the draft plays out.

Say we franchise fuller and sign another top CB. Then Edmunds and Davenport have meh combines and or one of them had an issue before the draft. Maybe Nelson then makes sense?

Is too early to say right now. We don't even know how the team shapes up yet, so we don't even know our needs.

All may be a moot point anyway. Now Mayock also saying he could go in the top 5...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-quenton-nelson-as-a-potential-top-five-pick/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I will stone-cold guarantee you he doesn't go in the top 5.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I spent hours on this post. Thinking about mathematical equations, restless nights pondering the meaning of existence. Ridley-Nelson-Chubb...just so many possibilities to wrap our minds around. Finally it dawned on me.... The reason I am now on the Nelson train. This equation might not be simple enough, but here is what the football gods have bestowed upon my plebeian mind.

Beef + Block = Touchdown.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I spent hours on this post. Thinking about mathematical equations, restless nights pondering the meaning of existence. Ridley-Nelson-Chubb...just so many possibilities to wrap our minds around. Finally it dawned on me.... The reason I am now on the Nelson train. This equation might not be simple enough, but here is what the football gods have bestowed upon my plebeian mind.

Beef + Block = Touchdown.
Post of the Year

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Here’s a thought that didn’t occur to me until now after reading some of the latest news:

Can Nelson play OT, specifically RT? He has the size and he could be that upgrade to Massie as well as backup plan for OG. For instance, if Long doesn’t gets back to form.

I know some will mention the failure of Long at RT, but Nelson is probably at better player.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you're talking about athleticism no he isn't going to win with athleticism because he's rather slow for an offensive lineman. Other than that yes he has the ideal size to be a tackle but hasn't played tackle since high school. He's someone that wins with technique and size. Once he gets his hands on someone they're basically screwed.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
If you want a Tackle, go get Orlando Brown. Leave Nelson at guard.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You realize our offense sucked last year not because of our offensive line, but because we had no passing options? We ranked 15th in sacks given up, and a lot of those sacks were coverage sacks or mitch stepping up into a lineman. Not saying that we need to neglect the guard position, but Nelson at #8 is just as good of a pick as Ridley at #8.

But when you factor in the fact there is an all pro guard in free agency, and mediocre WR's in FA, Ridley looks a lot more appealing at #8.

How about that top FA G, draft Nelson to play RT and then 2nd and 4th round receivers?

You solidify the whole offensive line while having a safety net for Long. You then add Wilson in FA while bringing in 2 receivers via the draft.

msadows

Liked Posts:
How about that top FA G, draft Nelson to play RT and then 2nd and 4th round receivers?

You solidify the whole offensive line while having a safety net for Long. You then add Wilson in FA while bringing in 2 receivers via the draft.

Thats why i said draft Tyrell Crosby in the 2nd round, who is...you know, and actual Tackle and can play guard too.

Nelson is a great prospect and all, but Price, Hernandez, Wynn, and Crosby are all probowl level talents too that should be available when we pick(or at least 1 of the 4).

I mean Hernandez just put up 37 reps on the bench.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If there is one thing pace has shown its that he does not trade down for his guy, he tries to trade up.

He was considering trading up for both wentz and marriota in previous years. Did it for floyd and trubs. He won't trade down 3-4 picks just to pick up another pick in the hopes ridley falls.

Yes, he is a reach at #8, but he is also the most polished WR in the draft.
Pace traded up to get or try to get his guy because he thought that they would not be there at his pick.

Ridley is a different situation. First, is he even Pace's guy? Secondly, he is projected to go after #8. So a slight trade down is a possibility.

Why reach for a WR in a draft class deep at receivers and Ridley is not head and shoulders better than the other receivers?

Besides, what do all of those top offenses have in common? None of them drafted a receiver on their team in the top 10.

There were only 5 receivers drafted in the 1st on these teams: one was traded from one of them to another, one was a much traveled veteran and one was a high draft pick that was traded to the new team but was just the 3rd option.

pats - Brandon Cooks was a 1st rounder #20 (via trade) & Phillip Dorset was a 1st rounder #29
chargers - Keenan Allen is top receiver - 3rd rounder
rams - Sammy Watkins was a 1st rounder #4 via trade
saints - Ted Ginn was a 1st rounder #9 but he has been around the league
eagles - Nelson Agholar was a 1st rounder 20#

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why reach for a WR in a draft class deep at receivers and Ridley is not head and shoulders better than the other receivers?

You lost me there. Calvin Ridley is actually head and shoulders the most polished receiver in this draft class. He is graded well beyond all the rest of the receivers in this draft class. In reality he is the only receiver I would even take in the first round. Everyone else I would struggle to want to take in the first except for the bottom 5 to 10 picks in the first round. This is coming from a guy who thinks that Ridley won't even turn out to be the best receiver from this class when its all said and done. He is still the best by a good margin.