OT: Eli Manning HOF?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP, no but he will probably get in due to the rings and the name.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Justin Tuck should have won the 2007 SB MVP. He destroyed that offensive line when they moved him inside.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
What about Jamarcus Webb? Dude absolutely destroyed Taco Bell where ever he played.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
There aren't many QBs with 2 SB wins, but Jim Plunkett is a QB with 2 wins and not in the HOF. So there is precedent.

But he is 8th in the league in total passing yards. That I would not have guessed.

He was never a first team all pro. Never close to being the best QB in the league, never even a top 5 QB ever in a single season. I don't see how that spells anything but an average to above average QB on a great defense.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
If you let Kurt Warner in, you have to let Rivers in, because he did better for longer, just never got a ring.

I personally don't think Warner should have gotten in, and I would let Rivers in.
No. Warner was a two time MVP, three super bowl appearances and 1 win.

0 SB appearances, 0 MVP's. At no point in Rivers career was he really a top 5 QB in the league. He had years you could argue he was, but at no time would you have taken Rivers over Brady, Manning, Brees. Rodgers. And later on Cam, Matt Ryan, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson all won MVP's during his career, and I think Big Ben was better than Rivers too for parts of his career.

Rivers was consistently an above average QB and that doesn't belong in the HOF. Eli doesn't either, but 2 rings will do that.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never really did see the talent with Eli Manning but if i were to bet on it id say he goes in 1st ballot.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Elway can make it, Eli can

Elway had mediocre stats and always has

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There aren't many QBs with 2 SB wins, but Jim Plunkett is a QB with 2 wins and not in the HOF. So there is precedent.

But he is 8th in the league in total passing yards. That I would not have guessed.

He was never a first team all pro. Never close to being the best QB in the league, never even a top 5 QB ever in a single season. I don't see how that spells anything but an average to above average QB on a great defense.

Elway is in and has 79 qbr for his career. 3.1 int %

Eli is making it in

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Elway can make it, Eli can

Elway had mediocre stats and always has
Elway is a pretty good comparison, since, as you said, was mediocre for most of his career.

The biggest difference is, in Elways last 6 years, he was generally regarded as one of the best QBs in the league, where as Eli maybe had 1 year where people thought he was possibly a top 10 QB.

But yeah, Elway's first 10 years definitely weren't pretty.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Elway is a pretty good comparison, since, as you said, was mediocre for most of his career.

The biggest difference is, in Elways last 6 years, he was generally regarded as one of the best QBs in the league, where as Eli maybe had 1 year where people thought he was possibly a top 10 QB.

But yeah, Elway's first 10 years definitely weren't pretty.

Even his last 6 weren't that impressive

Screenshot_20210713-172053_Chrome.jpg

Barely even scratching 250 yards a game and only went above 90 qbr twice in those last 6 seasons

Elway is overrated imo

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

View attachment 12547

Barely even scratching 250 yards a game and only went above 90 qbr twice in those last 6 seasons

Elway is overrated imo
You have to consider the times, not just the numbers. A 90 passer rating back then was probably more equivalent to 100 now.

The rules are much different, obviously. And that should be taken into consideration.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You have to consider the times, not just the numbers. A 90 passer rating back then was probably more equivalent to 100 now.

The rules are much different, obviously. And that should be taken into consideration.

Eh. I sort of agree until you look at QBs like Steve Young in the same era. Still putting up above 100 qbr

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

View attachment 12547

Elway is overrated imo

You need to compare him to his peers during that same time. In 93, he was 3rd in the league in Rating, 4th in 94, 4th in 96, 7th in 97, and 5th in 98.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Giants scored 17 points and 21 points in those 2 super bowls, while holding NE to 14 and 17 points. Their defense won those games. No way they let Manning in for that crap.

Manning is nearly statistically identical to Joe Flacco. Those are not HOF QBs.

HOF QBs are MVP type players.

Actually, I live in NJ. A ways ago I printed out Jay Cutlers and Eli Mannings year by stats without the year and name listed. Put them in front of several Giant/Eli fans and said which one is Eli and no one had an answer except they just said Eli won 2 Super Bowls.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You need green text to see an obvious joke?
It would better come off as an obvious joke if Bears fans didn’t spend the past decade dismissing everything he has done but sure.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Actually, I live in NJ. A ways ago I printed out Jay Cutlers and Eli Mannings year by stats without the year and name listed. Put them in front of several Giant/Eli fans and said which one is Eli and no one had an answer except they just said Eli won 2 Super Bowls.
Agreed 100%. If they put him in for 2 rings they dismiss what 21 other starters did. The HOF is about your career, not a few playoff runs.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Agreed 100%. If they put him in for 2 rings they dismiss what 21 other starters did. The HOF is about your career, not a few playoff runs.

But it the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats, and few QB's have ever been able to rise to the occasion to lead a team through the playoffs on multiple occasions (12). Of those, the only one not in the HOF is Plunkett, who spent 11 of his 15 seasons as ranked below average or not ranked at all and only cracked a top 10 passer ranking at 9th just 1 time in 15 seasons.

Top 10 all time in Yards and TD's, 2 SB victories, 2 SB MVP's. Like it or not that is a HOF resume. The last 2 take a borderline case and put him in.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Cutler’s stats might oddly be better than Eli’s

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You need to compare him to his peers during that same time.
Yep. This is what i always say when people compare players of different eras.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But it the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats, and few QB's have ever been able to rise to the occasion to lead a team through the playoffs on multiple occasions (12). Of those, the only one not in the HOF is Plunkett, who spent 11 of his 15 seasons as ranked below average or not ranked at all and only cracked a top 10 passer ranking at 9th just 1 time in 15 seasons.

Top 10 all time in Yards and TD's, 2 SB victories, 2 SB MVP's. Like it or not that is a HOF resume. The last 2 take a borderline case and put him in.
I feel we can chalk those yards and TDs up to his longevity as a starter imo