OT: Eli Manning HOF?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I mean, he's top 10 all time in passing yards and TDs, and he beat probably the best NFL dynasty ever and best quarterback ever twice in the Super Bowl. That's probably enough to get him in.

I'm aware of the arguments against him. And as far as the stats, yes, product of the times and all that, but still---They're probably not going to keep any of the top 10 all time guys out when it comes to yards and TDs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He'll make it but he had about as much to do with those SB wins as Brady did the last one. :rolleyes: Maybe a little more.

Last edited:

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the fact he beat the GOAT twice, after beating Favre and Rodgers, in away NFC championship games, plus the 2 Manningham throws on the sidelines in each Super Bowl gets him in.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
In general, no, but he will get in for those SB wins.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Disagree, Warner was part of a game changing offense that stood above the rest. The "Rams Offense" will always be recognized. What can you say about Eli except that he beat Brady in the SB twice?
I get what people are saying, but you can't also just sweep under the rug that he beat Brady twice in the biggest game with everything on the line.

Everyone is right on the stats, but when it comes to quarterbacks, most of them who make the Hall of Fame are judged on championships more than anything else. Not saying all but most.

Not saying that's fair either but that's just how it is.

And in two super bowls Eli Manning won both of them against the greatest player of all time.

I think that alone gets him in

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I get what people are saying, but you can't also just sweep under the rug that he beat Brady twice in the biggest game with everything on the line.

Everyone is right on the stats, but when it comes to quarterbacks, most of them who make the Hall of Fame are judged on championships more than anything else. Not saying all but most.

Not saying that's fair either but that's just how it is.

And in two super bowls Eli Manning won both of them against the greatest player of all time.

I think that alone gets him in
Defense won two super bowls. Eli put up 17 and 21 points in those games. Rex Grossman also put up 17 in a super bowl.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I mean, he's top 10 all time in passing yards and TDs, and he beat probably the best NFL dynasty ever and best quarterback ever twice in the Super Bowl. That's probably enough to get him in.

I'm aware of the arguments against him. And as far as the stats, yes, product of the times and all that, but still---They're probably not going to keep any of the top 10 all time guys out when it comes to yards and TDs.
but top 10 in yards and TD's in the golden age of passing era and how long he played. People say that Stafford shouldn't get in despite the numbers he has and will end up with. Stafford is better than Eli

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
but top 10 in yards and TD's in the golden age of passing era and how long he played. People say that Stafford shouldn't get in despite the numbers he has and will end up with. Stafford is better than Eli
Agreed 100%. People are talking about letting him in because his defense played lights out in two super bowls.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You mention the golden age of passing, which is where I think this conversation becomes interesting with Eli. His career sort of takes place where the league transitions into that golden age, where id argue starts at about 2011. You had the big 3 of Brady, P Manning and Brees but many QBs began to really emerge and/or start to put up big numbers. 3 QBs with 5k yards, Eli was close and Rodgers had that ridiculous season with 45 TDs. I think he could have easily gotten 5k and 50 if Mccarthy didn't always take his foot off the gas at the end of games.

So i'd day about half his career was during the golden age. Overall his numbers aren't that impressive but in the eyes of the voters, championships do matter and he gets bonus points for being a bit of an iron man. His numbers alone wouldn't get him in. Stafford huge numbers but a career loser. Can't be overlooked.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

"
It doesn't matter whether or not you think Eli Manning belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. My opinion does not matter, either. You may be surprised to learn that the current opinions of many of the Hall of Fame voters themselves also don't matter all that much.

When it comes to the Great Eli Manning Hall of Fame Debate, Bill Belichick's opinion is the one that matters.

At some point soon, a few of the senior voters on the selection committee, the aristocracy of my industry who have built strong relationships with the NFL's most important individuals, will solicit Belichick's opinion on Manning's candidacy. They will do so privately and off the record, so Belichick will feel comfortable speaking candidly.

Belichick might tell them something like this: Golly, Eli was so ever-so-tough to prepare for! His regular-season statistics don't really capture how often he put the Giants in the right situation, got the ball to the right receiver, and did all the little things that make a quarterback truly great. I had to pull out all the stops in Super Bowl XLII and XLVI just to keep those games close, and he still got the better of us!

If Belichick provides this type of endorsement, it will sway the opinions of the skeptics and doubters on the committee, and Manning will sail into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

I think it's more likely that Belichick will say something like this: C'mon, you saw those games. The Giants defense killed us, not Manning! He was no harder to prepare for than Jake Delhomme or Donovan McNabb in that first batch of Super Bowls. He was a fine quarterback, but he's no all-time great......"

I confess I'm torn. He has two rings, and he beat Tom Brady twice to get them. That's impressive.

His overall career stats, however, are kind of ho-hum.

He's borderline. If he got in I would not have a problem with it. And if he didn't, that would not be a huge injustice.

And while Bill Belichick's opinion does matter, I reject the notion that it is the only one that matters.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yeah he's a HOFer. If Troy Aikman was a no brainer to get in then Eli obviously deserves to get in as well.

Truthfully when looking at the QBs in the HOF they lean pretty heavily on Superbowl wins. If they didn't win a title it's almost like the criteria is very high (Marino, Kelly and Moon). By that logic Eli, who's a 2 time Superbowl MVP, will get in.

As an Eagle fan for all the shit talk about Eli he was very streaky and somehow knew how to get hot when it mattered the most. I never feared him, but also knew if Eli was on the chances of winning were fairly low.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Interesting comparison with Aikman. His stats aren't as impressive as I thought. But he was still way better than Manning even without the rings.

-Aikman had 6 seasons finishing in the top 10 in QBR, 2,3,3,5,6,8. He was top 3 in the league 3 seasons.
-Manning had 4. 6,7,9,9. He never finished a season as a top 5 QB, Ever.

How can you let a QB in that was never one of the 5 best in the league in any season that he played in? You can't. The defense wont those rings and he was in the right place at the right time.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, Cheap Trick is in the Rock 'n Roll HOF. Not dissing them but still...

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Regardless, point stands. I don’t see any top 10 passers getting left out when it’s all said and done.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
You mention the golden age of passing, which is where I think this conversation becomes interesting with Eli. His career sort of takes place where the league transitions into that golden age, where id argue starts at about 2011. You had the big 3 of Brady, P Manning and Brees but many QBs began to really emerge and/or start to put up big numbers. 3 QBs with 5k yards, Eli was close and Rodgers had that ridiculous season with 45 TDs. I think he could have easily gotten 5k and 50 if Mccarthy didn't always take his foot off the gas at the end of games.

So i'd day about half his career was during the golden age. Overall his numbers aren't that impressive but in the eyes of the voters, championships do matter and he gets bonus points for being a bit of an iron man. His numbers alone wouldn't get him in. Stafford huge numbers but a career loser. Can't be overlooked.
Good points that I had never considered.