OT - PHI Extends Fletcher Cox, Most Guaranteed $$ In The NFL For A Non-QB

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Eagles openly said the deal would get done. He's a top 5 DL in the league. IMO hes up there with Suh and Watt while only being 25 years old.

Hes a monster and im happy he'll be an Eagle for the next 4+ years.

I should add, by all intents and porposes the salary cap will continue its insane increases over the next few years. The number is based off of a percentage of league revenue. League revenue will be factoring in the following:

1 - St. Louis out LA in - Bigger markey = more money for all.
2 - Thursday night games - every year the NFL has been able to sell those games for more $. I think this coming season sold for $200M.
3 - fantasy/betting sites - look at any of those sites under their 'sponsors' or 'partners' tab. The NFL and ESPN are in there. Its huge money that the league will participate in.

Look at the Cox contract then think of the Cutler deal. When it was signed everyone said it was insane. Now the Bears have a starting caliber QB (and an all pro pouter) for a discount.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Eagles openly said the deal would get done. He's a top 5 DL in the league. IMO hes up there with Suh and Watt while only being 25 years old.

Hes a monster and im happy he'll be an Eagle for the next 4+ years.

well this post came from left field

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
There is no question that Cutler played into Fox's "3 year plan", in that it was/is impossible to unload Cutler during Years 1 and 2 of the plan. Fox can get rid of Cutler in Year 3 for "only" a $2M cap hit. Your implication that Fox thinks he can make the playoffs in 3-4 years with Cutler because he didn't dump Cutler in Years 1 & 2 for cap hits of $29.5M and $19M is nonsensical. Its like you are saying that the Bears' inability to move Cutler must imply that its a vote of confidence in Cutler.

I think Cutler's future in Chicago is dependent on this season. It has yet to be determined.

If Fox knew that he couldn't get rid of Cutler for 2-3 years and he was positive that he couldn't win with Cutler, he never would have taken the job.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
And the random thought was that he appeared to be happy that his team was retaining one of its most productive players. That type of thinking is taboo here. The Eagles have definitely dropped out of the running for the Salary Cap Championship trophy.

Indeed. I believe they were outta the running back when they allocated a great portion of Cap to the two QBs they had on the roster, prior to giving up several future assets to draft another.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Disagree. He can get rid of Cutler after this year (Year 2). If Fox builds a team that is primed for postseason success going into Year 3 (a reasonable goal), then he can get rid of Cutler and sign a scrap-heap QB to replace Cutler's production at a fraction of the cost.

With flunkie Pace as the GM and Ted Phillips as the bean counter Team President, Fox basically has total control of the football operation. I would think that aspect of "control" is what attracted Fox to the Bears, moreso than Jay Cutler.

So you agree that with Cutler, the team can go from dumpster fire to "being primed for postseason success" I agree.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Having actual QBs on your roster is another taboo topic here...and the Eagles have TWO. Just an incredible trainwreck in Philly.

Three actually, Chase Daniels at the basement bargin price of 7mil per. Other than those wtf decisions. I like the moves they've made.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Do you? Because your post says you don't.

I think that Fox took the job thinking he could win with Cutler by improving him and the rest of the team. And if that happens, he will retain Cutler for the remainder of the contract because a playoff level QB would be worth the rest of the contract. He also knows that if he fails to make the playoffs, not only Cutler will be gone but his own job will be at stake.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think that Fox took the job thinking he could win with Cutler by improving him and the rest of the team. And if that happens, he will retain Cutler for the remainder of the contract because a playoff level QB would be worth the rest of the contract. He also knows that if he fails to make the playoffs, not only Cutler will be gone but his own job will be at stake.

Yeah, ok, you missed his point entirely.............

If Fox builds a team that is primed for postseason success going into Year 3 (a reasonable goal), then he can get rid of Cutler and sign a scrap-heap QB to replace Cutler's production at a fraction of the cost

Try again tomorrow.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yeah, ok, you missed his point entirely.............

Try again tomorrow.

No you try again. I think that if they are primed for postseason success that they keep Cutler. I think that Fox thinks he can win with/largely because of Cutler.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No you try again. I think that if they are primed for postseason success that they keep Cutler. I think that Fox thinks he can win with/largely because of Cutler.

That's not at all what Rory said, so you, once again, have missed the point of someone's post.

Good job. Good effort.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
That's not at all what Rory said, so you, once again, have missed the point of someone's post.

Good job. Good effort.

Am I missing something here? What I am saying is pretty much the opposite of what he said. I am disagreeing with him.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Once again, yes. We all know your postings have become a massive joke.

Both of you... all you do is insult people who don't agree with you. And then later on have the nerve to complain that no one wants to talk football with you. You wonder why he was banned for so long? It's a miracle BOTH of you are not permabanned.

Washington

Liked Posts:

I think Fox took that job because he just got fired and needed a job and the Bears offered him a HC job. FoxPace did try like hell to get rid of Cutty prior to last season but no team would take him. If FoxPace had their way, Mariota is the starting QB right now.