Pace's Line in the Sand is Kyle Fuller

billwade

Liked Posts:
Fresh off his new extension and endorsement by sweat ted, it's time for Ryan Pace to "attack" the Kyle Fuller contract problem. To me, Fuller represents a line in the sand that Pace can use to shed the label of a wet-behind-the-ears lightweight, and develop some seriously needed gravitas.

It's very hard to argue that Fuller didn't have a great year. I think he had one subpar game, and several others that actually reminded us how top level CBs are supposed to play. In a season of futility, Fuller was playing lights out right up to the end in Minnesota. I totally understand why Pace didn't pick up the option, but the end result is Fuller is going to command big dollars in FA and have a lot of choices. Still, Pace must not let him get away.

The most important element in a rebuild is finding a way to keep your own talent. Pace whiffed badly on Jeffery, and he can't afford to see the same thing happen with Fuller. It becomes a vicious cycle that ultimately turns your team into Cleveland. Young talent prospers, thrives and leaves. For every Jordan Howard that emerges, you lose an Alshon jeffery or Kyle Fuller. If this trend continues, I wouldn't be surprised if Howard bolted after 2019.

So, here is a perfect opportunity for Pace to show he's growing into the job. Find a way to sign Fuller, and if that isn't possible give him the non exclusive tag and then find a trading partner if necessary.Play hardball if you have to. I understand Chicago is a tough sell right now to emerging stars who can go play for a contender. But Pace agreed to an extension, and it's his job to get this exact type of thing done.

If Pace wants to prove he's got the huevos for the job and (temporarily) silence his critics, signing Fuller is a great place to start.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
No.

Fuller kept getting picked on by other teams, because they knew he was playing over aggressive. Against the Eagles, they torched him.

He couldn't find his heart until it was a contract year, and then he sold out to aggressiveness, but was not scheme sound.

He would be an example of a horrible signing that will bite you in the ass if you extend him.

I would be ok with tagging him ONLY because of the obscene amount of Cap space the Bears have right now, but Fuller is NOT a CB on the future roster of the Bears when they make the playoffs again.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I am and have always been a KF guy, but I am not blowing the bank on Kyle. That being said, I would open the bank for him if his attitude is good in the locker room. I like signing a guy who has been here awhile and who will only be 26 at the end of next season.

Also, why are we such a tough sell as compared to an average team?

I feel like you really didn't watch this past season; we're definitely trending upward in a Division where 2 of the teams are trending clearly downward and have major issues.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We don’t have a free agent that is a line in the sand player. It would probably be smart to franchise fuller at the least since it’s likely akumura is gone and cooper should be cut

Line in the sand should have been when Special person gm let Jeffrey walk and his solution was wright and Wheaton. Good stuff right there

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
What would you guys think if the Bears let Kyle Fuller walk but replaced him with maybe a more consistent and proven CB in Malcolm Butler?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Because he only came out to play for a contract I don't care, certainly not a line in the sand. If he can get him for a fair price good, if he goes elsewhere good. I would say the line in the sand is if Pace breaks the bank for yet another Bear player who goes back to under performing.

And the only place where Pace screwed up on Jefferieses was getting rid of Marshall without a sure thing in place and that bled over into another player before he had a sure thing in place for either. He messed up the WR corpse not any one player (who didn't want to play here any more).

Ditka19861

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he lets Fuller walk, but signs Trumaine Johnson it’ll be okay.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What would you guys think if the Bears let Kyle Fuller walk but replaced him with maybe a more consistent and proven CB in Malcolm Butler?

It would be a good move but would have to win the bidding war that he couldn’t win last year

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
What if Fuller asks for Top 5 CB money? Do you give it to him considering his injury history and subpar performances?

The people that keep bringing up the Jeffery situation can't seem to get it into their heads that some players just don't want to play for the team anymore or want an unreasonable amount of money.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
It would be a good move but would have to win the bidding war that he couldn’t win last year

Pace might pay up as he may see it as better money spent than taking the risk on Kyle Fuller who played well this year but struggled in the past.

greg23

Liked Posts:
rather have fuller than butler or Johnson

Would love to have fuller and either butler or Johnson

Need to start keeping guys around that are draft picks and actually good.....sets a good precedence for the future as well.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Kyle Fuller has shown since college he can be a very good all-around CB. Yeah, sketchy knee issue is a flag, but he has played pretty well while on the field. I love the way he plays the position, and I hope they sign him to a fair long-term contract. I like the fact that Pace met with him individually this morning and I'm sure he told him he wants to work out a contract. This is an important piece to keep on our up-and-coming D and I believe Pace will pull it off. Literally.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Fuller will be 26 next season...

Butler 28....

That's a difference worth noting if we are playing on someone being here multiple years.

martin.johnson73

Liked Posts:
No.

Fuller kept getting picked on by other teams, because they knew he was playing over aggressive. Against the Eagles, they torched him.

He couldn't find his heart until it was a contract year, and then he sold out to aggressiveness, but was not scheme sound.

He would be an example of a horrible signing that will bite you in the ass if you extend him.

I would be ok with tagging him ONLY because of the obscene amount of Cap space the Bears have right now, but Fuller is NOT a CB on the future roster of the Bears when they make the playoffs again.
Fuller had a great.rookie year why does everyone forget that!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
To whoever asked about top 5 money, hell to the naw.

Franchising him isn't what i'm talking about; I am talking about 4yrs-56M or whatever with a big chunk GTD'd money.

I'd go 4 yrs at 33M or something, maybe a bit more if the market moves that way, but i'm not giving dude Patrick Peterson money.

If my figure is ridiculous, it's because I really don't follow NFL contracts like that anymore.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Fuller had a great.rookie year why does everyone forget that!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And was a top 10 CB in the 2nd half of 2015.

It’s the knee scope that scares everybody, me included, about his heart to play not in a contract year.

However, if the price is doable he is a must sign.

billwade

Liked Posts:
No.

This kind of thinking is why the Bears always end up being the Bears. Let Fuller and Amakamura go, and suddenly CB is at the top of the priority list again. So instead of drafting the pass rushing DE or receiver, you're blowing picks hoping to find a guy half as good as Fuller.

If you think Fuller had a bad year, you are in a very small minority.

No one can read Fuller's mind. Maybe he will dog it after he gets the payday. But he has shown he has serious talent, and the 5-11 Bears simply can't affort to let guys like that leave.

billwade

Liked Posts:
We don’t have a free agent that is a line in the sand player. It would probably be smart to franchise fuller at the least since it’s likely akumura is gone and cooper should be cut

Line in the sand should have been when Special person gm let Jeffrey walk and his solution was wright and Wheaton. Good stuff right there

Jeffery was the first line in the sand and Pace blew it. here is a second chance to sign a player who overperformed and deserves a payday that is commensurate with his production. The non exclusive tag will allow the market to set his value. If there's no action, Fuller will take notice. It's a one year deal, so the downside is minimal.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, Fuller seemed to come alive only in a contract year. And he does get picked one, suggesting teams consider him a weak link.

But people forget his great rookie year. And forget that Vic Fangio - for reasons known only to Fangio - put Fuller in the doghouse last year. I like the way Fuller responded to that when Fangio was forced to give him a chance and get him back on the field.

It's quite possible Fuller will continue to progress with Fangio gone. The guy is a for,er first rounder - you don't just throw those away when you're supposed to be done with the heavy loading on a rebuild.

Pace doesn't have anymore time to jettison significant pieces anymore. If there's uncertainty about Fuller, tag him . . .