Pace's Line in the Sand is Kyle Fuller

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
We need two good corners so we should sign Fuller and Prince. We also need to hang on to Young until we find a suitable replacement in the draft.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jeffery was the first line in the sand and Pace blew it. here is a second chance to sign a player who overperformed and deserves a payday that is commensurate with his production. The non exclusive tag will allow the market to set his value. If there's no action, Fuller will take notice. It's a one year deal, so the downside is minimal.

How the hell has Fuller over-preformed? He was good this year and the first half of his rookie year. He was terrible the rest of the time and people were talking about cutting/trading him not that long ago. He's a first round pick that finally (in a contract year) performed to expectations. Signing him to a long term deal, while necessary, scares the shit out of me.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Yes, Fuller seemed to come alive only in a contract year. And he does get picked one, suggesting teams consider him a weak link.

But people forget his great rookie year. And forget that Vic Fangio - for reasons known only to Fangio - put Fuller in the doghouse last year. I like the way Fuller responded to that when Fangio was forced to give him a chance and get him back on the field.

It's quite possible Fuller will continue to progress with Fangio gone. The guy is a for,er first rounder - you don't just throw those away when you're supposed to be done with the heavy loading on a rebuild.

Pace doesn't have anymore time to jettison significant pieces anymore. If there's uncertainty about Fuller, tag him . . .
I disagree that he is a "significant" piece.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuller is most certainly the most interesting of the Bears FA's this year. My money says Pace re-signs him. Not saying it is the right or wrong move, just definitely the most interesting. It would be hard for Pace to give up on two 1st round picks in the same year.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
How the hell has Fuller over-preformed? He was good this year and the first half of his rookie year. He was terrible the rest of the time and people were talking about cutting/trading him not that long ago. He's a first round pick that finally (in a contract year) performed to expectations. Signing him to a long term deal, while necessary, scares the shit out of me.

Add the 2nd half of 2015 he was top 10 in the league.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Kyle “two-face” Fuller:

2014: good first half/bad 2nd half
2015: bad first half/ great 2nd half
2016: no mas
2017: really good full year.

Good luck Pace trying to formulate this^^^into dollars.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I’ll sign him up if I was Pace. But I’m not expecting him to play pro bowl style every single game. There will be some games and times he won’t shine. Just shining on the Times we really need a big play is superstar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
He started off great his rookie year but was a hot mess the second half if I remember correctly. That defensive player of the week really stuck in people's minds.

I remember people saying that one interception was great, why isn't he repeating and ending up calling him a flash in the pan bust at times.

I'd pay him worthy of his whole body of work. If he gets a big pay day I'd make it with incentives not guarantees.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am and have always been a KF guy, but I am not blowing the bank on Kyle. That being said, I would open the bank for him if his attitude is good in the locker room. I like signing a guy who has been here awhile and who will only be 26 at the end of next season.

Also, why are we such a tough sell as compared to an average team?

I feel like you really didn't watch this past season; we're definitely trending upward in a Division where 2 of the teams have waxed us 7 of the last 8 meetings!!!! FIFY

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Fuller is a good CB that needs to be retained. He was brought in by Emery and played on that horrendous defense. So I imagine the coaches damaged him some.
CB has always been a developmental position. He then had to transition from a 4-3 to 3-4 which may not seem like much it is still a change. Especially when you also change coaches in the middle of trying to develop.

Under Fangio he has finally developed and as reckless as he is. And not a shutdown CB. He is solid. If the Bears found a true #1 then Fuller would be a nice #2 with Prince #3 and suddenly the DBs look like a strength. But you let him or possibly him and Prince set sail and the possibility of a position of strength turns into a shit show gaping hole. And that simply can't happen.

Even if Pace can't get him at a discount or maybe gives him a little too much you just can't cheapskate everything all the time. Sign him. Retain talent.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Here is what my final offer would look like -

5yr, 57.5m total, 14.5m (25%) guaranteed.

Fuller would have the potential to earn top 10-12 CB money for 5 years on average...if he produces.

With this contract his guaranteed dollars are rather low (although still higher than the likes of Dre Kirkpatrick, Richard Sherman Aquib Talib, Joe Haden and Chris Harris Jr) but allows him to make the 11th most on average per year if he plays to his potential. The length makes sense for both him and the Bears with his age.

1.5 million less than Stephen Gilmore on average and 1 million more than Dre Kirkpatrick on average who were both signed last year.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Here is what my final offer would look like -

5yr, 57.5m total, 14.5m guaranteed.

Fuller would have the potential to earn top 10-12 CB money for 5 years on average...if he produces.

With this contract his guaranteed dollars are rather low (although still higher than the likes of Dre Kirkpatrick, Aquib Talib, Joe Haden and Chris Harris Jr) but allows him to make the 11th most on average per year if he plays to his potential. The length makes sense for both him and the Bears with his age.

1.5 million less than Stephen Gilmore on average and 1 million more than Dre Kirkpatrick on average who were both signed last year.

I'd give him a big dollar increase based on interceptions. Which he seems to always drop. Makes the contract look bigger. And if somehow he starts getting a few picks that is big time for the Bears and worth the cost.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
I agree with the OP, you can’t keep creating new holes and expect to get anywhere. My solution if he’s asking for too much is put the transition tag on him. That way you end up keeping him on a hopefully long term deal at true market value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Fresh off his new extension and endorsement by sweat ted, it's time for Ryan Pace to "attack" the Kyle Fuller contract problem. To me, Fuller represents a line in the sand that Pace can use to shed the label of a wet-behind-the-ears lightweight, and develop some seriously needed gravitas.

It's very hard to argue that Fuller didn't have a great year. I think he had one subpar game, and several others that actually reminded us how top level CBs are supposed to play. In a season of futility, Fuller was playing lights out right up to the end in Minnesota. I totally understand why Pace didn't pick up the option, but the end result is Fuller is going to command big dollars in FA and have a lot of choices. Still, Pace must not let him get away.

The most important element in a rebuild is finding a way to keep your own talent. Pace whiffed badly on Jeffery, and he can't afford to see the same thing happen with Fuller. It becomes a vicious cycle that ultimately turns your team into Cleveland. Young talent prospers, thrives and leaves. For every Jordan Howard that emerges, you lose an Alshon jeffery or Kyle Fuller. If this trend continues, I wouldn't be surprised if Howard bolted after 2019.

So, here is a perfect opportunity for Pace to show he's growing into the job. Find a way to sign Fuller, and if that isn't possible give him the non exclusive tag and then find a trading partner if necessary.Play hardball if you have to. I understand Chicago is a tough sell right now to emerging stars who can go play for a contender. But Pace agreed to an extension, and it's his job to get this exact type of thing done.

If Pace wants to prove he's got the huevos for the job and (temporarily) silence his critics, signing Fuller is a great place to start.
He didn't whiff on Jeffrey, Jeffrey didn't want to be here, plain and simple

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Fuller needs to stay. His aggressiveness will only produce more and get better when the Bears find a pass rush. If he isn't a puss and this wasn't just a plea for a contract, which his brothers aren't like this, then he definitely needs to stay. He will only get better.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
He didn't whiff on Jeffrey, Jeffrey didn't want to be here, plain and simple

Odd how people get stories stuck in their head and can't get rid of them no matter how much they're shot down.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd give him a big dollar increase based on interceptions. Which he seems to always drop. Makes the contract look bigger. And if somehow he starts getting a few picks that is big time for the Bears and worth the cost.

That never works and is a terrible idea. Good shutdown corners don't get the ball thrown their way. Your asking Fuller to bait the QB into throwing the ball to the receiver he is covering and then close and make a pic, much better just to have the guy covered and never thrown to at all.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I know there might be a few more, but isn't Fuller like the last tie to the old administration? Its sad to say that too many GM's are so focused on ridding the team of choices he did not make and that goes against bear fans with Fuller. Hicks got some stupid money for an extension, don't know how many other DT's are getting 12 million, but that was a choice by pace in free agency. I hope Pace gets it done with Fuller, he will show me he is breaking the mold.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't see Fuller as having "turning it on" in a contract year. Most young CBs, even high draft pick ones, take a couple seasons to get to this point. I think he's finally figured it out, and we 'll continue to play well going forward.

The knee issues are the concern. Would you rather pay top 5 CB money to a possible injury risk? Or do you allow that CB to walk hoping to sign an even bigger (and more expensive) one in FA? Tough decision for Pace...