Pace's Objectives So Far

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think there are a lot of people out there missing the point on Pace's objectives thus far this offseason. What the Bears are doing is not igniting a firesale to save money or free up cap space as much as they are cleaning house to rid the team of problem players. That is why Lance Piggs is gone, it's why Marshall is gone, and that is why I strongly believe Cutler will be cut (nobody is going to offer anything in trade for him).

The Marshall devotees will obviously have a problem with his characterization as a problem player, but even before the recent reports started coming out (how could he possibly have a problem with Jimmy Claussen?!?) the friction Marshall caused in the locker room was well documented. There are obviously other expensive players who need to go on this team - Jared Allen for instance is probably the biggest waste of money of all the veterans on this team. But Allen is not an attitude problem. Nor is Matt Forte, so even though the Bears could save a ton of cap space by cutting Forte, that's not where their focus is right now.

Now that Marshall is taken care of, Pace can turn to Cutler. The Bears may be stuck with him. But they are obviously doing everything possible to get rid of him. And certainly cutting him is being considered by a GM who knows Cutler isn't his quarterback of the future and by an ownership that has "buyer's remorse" over his contract and has proven they no longer mind eating big money to rid themselves of undesirables.

Last edited:

stallan54

Liked Posts:
Thought the same thing as OP. On defense, to me, JAllen looks like a fine candidate to be a leader. That said, I don't see him in a Bears uniform past 2015 so why annoint a short term leader. Pace/Fox felt Briggs is more of a current egotistical cancer then a leader so he gone. I don't see our defensive captain on this team at the moment so aside from the draft, I think we pick up a good, not great player, but one that has leadership qualities, maybe Greg Hardy. :) Just kiddin. But how about Pot Roast Knighton who has been widely discussed here. He's a great guy, captain, fan fave, etc... He would immediately become the leader of the defense.

On offense, we are far removed from Cutler as leader, so who else? Kyle Long is my guess and one I would love to see be annointed that guy. He's obviously got the desire, personality, and popularity to command that. But he's the line guy. How about the other leader, QB, WR, RB. Forte is too reserved. Cutler, LOL. Alshon, nope. Bennett, nah. So HE'S probably not on the roster yet. How about Jake Locker. I know. LOL @ Locker. Bring him in as a backup to compete for the starter against Cutler. Word on the streets is he is a great locker room guy and loved by his teammates. On paper, he's a loser, but maybe a change of scenery will help him a little.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
I think some guys lead by example and some by personality. Briggs was a leader on the field for years by example, dishing out big hits, calling plays and rarely being off the field. I think more recently as he's lost his physical prowess it's become clear that he isn't a great influence as a personality. A big part of this is he's too tied into Lovie's era, and he has become that old guy who sits in the corner and complains that everything used to be better in his day. So the right decision to let him go, but I hope that he'll still be remembered as the great player and servant to the Bears he has been for many years, not for the last couple.

Nick80

Are you shitting on the ideal of Jimmy C to Brian Hartline? Really? Can you imagine that matchup nightmare against Sherman next year? ... Oh boy!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think there are a lot of people out there missing the point on Pace's objectives thus far this offseason. What the Bears are doing is not igniting a firesale to save money or free up cap space as much as they are cleaning house to rid the team of problem players. That is why Lance Piggs is gone, it's why Marshall is gone, and that is why I strongly believe Cutler will be cut (nobody is going to offer anything in trade for him).

The Marshall devotees will obviously have a problem with his characterization as a problem player, but even before the recent reports started coming out (how could he possibly have a problem with Jimmy Claussen?!?) the friction Marshall caused in the locker room was well documented. There are obviously other expensive players who need to go on this team - Jared Allen for instance is probably the biggest waste of money of all the veterans on this team. But Allen is not an attitude problem. Nor is Matt Forte, so even though the Bears could save a ton of cap space by cutting Forte, that's not where their focus is right now.

Now that Marshall is taken care of, Pace can turn to Cutler. The Bears may be stuck with him. But they are obviously doing everything possible to get rid of him. And certainly cutting him is being considered by a GM who knows Cutler isn't his quarterback of the future and by an ownership that has "buyer's remorse" over his contract and has proven they no longer mind eating big money to rid themselves of undesirables.
If they keep Jay, it's because they want to, not his salary. Don't care which way they go.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I like Clausen I think that he had a bad deal in Carolina bad team and it was just his rookie year. I know he isn't as talented as Cutler but I think he can be a better game manager and a better leader than Jay.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I like Clausen I think that he had a bad deal in Carolina bad team and it was just his rookie year. I know he isn't as talented as Cutler but I think he can be a better game manager and a better leader than Jay.

Oh god, please, for the love of god, please say our coaching staff and organization have higher expectations for QB than you. I cannot take another 4 decades of shit QB play.

Game Manager are two words I NEVER WANT TO HEAR ASSOCIATED WITH ANOTHER BEARS QB.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Oh god, please, for the love of god, please say our coaching staff and organization have higher expectations for QB than you. I cannot take another 4 decades of shit QB play.

Game Manager are two words I NEVER WANT TO HEAR ASSOCIATED WITH ANOTHER BEARS QB.
The overwhelming majority of NFL QBs are below average. You'd better just get used to it.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:

So your ok with culters turnovers and lack of leadership.The Cutler experiment has failed three coaches tried and failed.It would be insane for the bears to try this again move on let Jimmy play and find our QB of the future in the draft this year or next etc.What wrong with that ?

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
So your ok with culters turnovers and lack of leadership.The Cutler experiment has failed three coaches tried and failed.It would be insane for the bears to try this again move on let Jimmy play and find our QB of the future in the draft this year or next etc.What wrong with that ?

I said nothing about Cutler first of all. And no I don't want Jimmy to play, he sucks. If he has any pontential of starting I would pickup a FA QB.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I said nothing about Cutler first of all. And no I don't want Jimmy to play, he sucks. If he has any pontential of starting I would pickup a FA QB.
I didn't say you said anything about cutler I was asking if you are ok with him as qb.and my next question is who would be your qb?

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I didn't say you said anything about cutler I was asking if you are ok with him as qb.and my next question is who would be your qb?

Of course I would rather have Cutler starting over Clausen. I would take Sanchez, Moore, or Vick over Clausen in FA. To be perfectly honest, there would be no reason to start Clausen unless an injury occurs. Even if we drafted a rook it would prob be better to start a rook over Clausen.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Of course I would rather have Cutler starting over Clausen. I would take Sanchez, Moore, or Vick over Clausen in FA. To be perfectly honest, there would be no reason to start Clausen unless an injury occurs. Even if we drafted a rook it would prob be better to start a rook over Clausen.
Out of those four who would you start ?