Pauline: Bears interested in QB DiNucci

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
"Small school quarterback Ben DiNucci in demand
Ben DiNucci of James Madison is another signal caller who could surprise, this time in the late rounds. The Pittsburgh transfer was not graded by scouts entering the season despite his terrific junior campaign. DiNucci followed that up with a senior year that included 3,441 yards passing and 29 touchdowns as well as a completion percentage of 71 percent.

For some reason, DiNucci was snubbed from all the postseason All-Star events. He has had numerous video conferences with the New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers, and Chicago Bears."

James Morgan over Jake Fromm?
Quarterback James Morgan of Florida International continues to move up draft boards and presently sits at the top of day three on many boards around the league.

I know of several teams who have Morgan rated ahead of Georgia’s Jake Fromm, who has received grades that range from the late part of round three through the early portion of round five.

Morgan, who participated in the Shrine Game as well as the combine, has had video conferences with almost half of the league’s teams, including multiple calls with teams where he chatted with head coaches and offensive coordinators.

So who’s showing the most interest in the signal caller?

When I interviewed Morgan during a podcast immediately after the combine, I named the New York Jets and New England Patriots as his prime suitors, which remains true today. Also in the mix are the Green Bay Packers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Pace/Nagy have already identified Jordan Love as their next swing at a franchise QB when they were stroking Dax Raymond all last draft offseason. Just like with Mitch, they are doing a good job of keeping it under wraps.

A trade up to 27th overall with the Seahawks is my bold prediction.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Senior Season
DeNucci reminds me a bit of Gordon in terms of getting done without a lot of arm. He's more athletic though smaller. Lucky if he's more than 6'1" though he does look to have good recognition, quick decisions and able to throw from odd arm angles but balls hang a while. Both have meh arm strength but get it done. I think I'd rather have Gordon even though DeNucci is RPO and zone read ready. Both are projects. I don't see DeNucci getting drafted unless it's in the 7th to make sure he doesn't choose another team for camp. He'd be an asset to any camp and PS. Seems smart on the field and can probably run anything.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
"Small school quarterback Ben DiNucci in demand
Ben DiNucci of James Madison is another signal caller who could surprise, this time in the late rounds. The Pittsburgh transfer was not graded by scouts entering the season despite his terrific junior campaign. DiNucci followed that up with a senior year that included 3,441 yards passing and 29 touchdowns as well as a completion percentage of 71 percent.

For some reason, DiNucci was snubbed from all the postseason All-Star events. He has had numerous video conferences with the New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers, and Chicago Bears."

James Morgan over Jake Fromm?
Quarterback James Morgan of Florida International continues to move up draft boards and presently sits at the top of day three on many boards around the league.

I know of several teams who have Morgan rated ahead of Georgia’s Jake Fromm, who has received grades that range from the late part of round three through the early portion of round five.

Morgan, who participated in the Shrine Game as well as the combine, has had video conferences with almost half of the league’s teams, including multiple calls with teams where he chatted with head coaches and offensive coordinators.

So who’s showing the most interest in the signal caller?

When I interviewed Morgan during a podcast immediately after the combine, I named the New York Jets and New England Patriots as his prime suitors, which remains true today. Also in the mix are the Green Bay Packers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
So the Bears are interested in James Morgan and the guy from James Madison?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Pace/Nagy have already identified Jordan Love as their next swing at a franchise QB when they were stroking Dax Raymond all last draft offseason. Just like with Mitch, they are doing a good job of keeping it under wraps.

I think they move up higher but I whole heartedly agree. They're gonna trade up in round 1. They're gonna then trade Mitch to recoup a few picks. Foles will be the starter heading in with Love as the heir apparent

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the help with my mock drafts.
With all the 7th round picks that I accumulate from my multiple trade backs, I’m usually looking at what’s left on the QB board after filling all the other higher priority holes. I’ll look for Ben next time.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

They'll need to move up more than that if they want Love

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They'll need to move up more than that if they want Love

A lot of recent talk that that Love won’t be selected until the bottom 3rd of the 1st round. See Mike Garafalos report yesterday.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they move up higher but I whole heartedly agree. They're gonna trade up in round 1. They're gonna then trade Mitch to recoup a few picks. Foles will be the starter heading in with Love as the heir apparent

They won’t get a ham sandwich for MT.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Senior Season
DeNucci reminds me a bit of Gordon in terms of getting done without a lot of arm. He's more athletic though smaller. Lucky if he's more than 6'1" though he does look to have good recognition, quick decisions and able to throw from odd arm angles but balls hang a while. Both have meh arm strength but get it done. I think I'd rather have Gordon even though DeNucci is RPO and zone read ready. Both are projects. I don't see DeNucci getting drafted unless it's in the 7th to make sure he doesn't choose another team for camp. He'd be an asset to any camp and PS. Seems smart on the field and can probably run anything.
So...a young Chase Daniels, Greaaat, just what we need....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Us Pace fans are gonna take a CCS beating if he trades up for J.Love and i don't think i'll have any kind of argument against people hating it if he did and don't think i would even try to have one if he did that. This is the perfect trade down draft for the Bears and that's what i'm hoping for. I understand that it takes two teams to make a trade and with this draft being so deep that i think it will be hard for Pace to find good trades sitting that high in the 2nd round, and not only that but many think there won't be as many trades as normal years because of the Coronavirus and everything that's been on hold since it began.

I wouldn't be mad at taking a shot on J.Love because of how much upside he has but he better hit big with him or else it will absolutely be hid job. I guess it would give Pace 2-3 more years as GM cause Love will need time. I'm fine with Trading Mitch and drafting a QB in the mid to late rounds but i'd rather they do that and also bring in Cam or Jameis to compete with Foles while whoever we draft sits and watches for a year or two.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
A lot of recent talk that that Love won’t be selected until the bottom 3rd of the 1st round. See Mike Garafalos report yesterday.

That's one side of it but there's also a lot of talk of multiple teams doing a ton of homework on Love the last few days and teams are very intrigued. The media have no idea of how teams think about Love so listening to anything they say is a waste of time. Teams aren't gonna tell the media what they think of any player.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
If Nagy sticks around, which I am not sure of right now, I think the QB they will be looking for will be a quick decision maker, accurate on short throws, and a pretty cerebral guy. I don't think a strong arm will make a big difference to them, and I think they could take or leave athleticism with the RPO.

I don't think they are committed enough to Nagy to get him a QB, but if so, it will be a good decision maker who can pick up a complex offense vs another gunslinger.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I have nothing against Love as a prospect/person, but it's a terrible fit timing wise for the Bears to use more assets to move up and draft a guy who will need a few seasons of development. Meanwhile RG and SS have not been well addressed, i'm very high on our CB2 options but many posters are skeptical, and the team is desperate for good young depth at OT. Now if more moves happen between now and draft we can talk (especially if they manage to get one of the few vet OGs still out there), but until that happens Bears can't afford to combine assets to trade up for another QB prospect. We're still recovering from the last time they did that.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think he should go before then but teams tend to panic on QB's on draft day and trade up for a guy that would be there anyway. If only we knew of a GM that made that mistake....

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

This is a pretty solid prediction. Not saying it will happen, but it makes a lot of sense on some levels. If Pace/Nagy really feel their jobs are on the line, they could sell ownership on the fact they think they have their franchise QB in waiting. My hang up on something like this is I don't think anyone is trading for Trubisky. He's had trouble learning Nagy's offense in the 2 years in Chicago, I don't see a team taking him this late in the process, with no OTAs, and thinking he can learn their offense in the year he has left under contract....not to mention the month of camp he'll hopefully have if they want him to start Week 1.

Also of note, Seattle LOVES to trade back in the draft. They did so 3 times before they picked in 2019 and 3 times before their first pick in 2017. Also traded back in 2018.

Last year, the Redskins traded up from 46 to 26 (to the Colts) and the price was a 2020 2nd rounder. So, conceivably the Bears could get to 26, while keeping 50 and their 2021 first round pick. Not advocating for any of this to happen, just pointing out that this prediction, while bold, certainly is not unheard of.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If Nagy sticks around, which I am not sure of right now, I think the QB they will be looking for will be a quick decision maker, accurate on short throws, and a pretty cerebral guy. I don't think a strong arm will make a big difference to them, and I think they could take or leave athleticism with the RPO.

I don't think they are committed enough to Nagy to get him a QB, but if so, it will be a good decision maker who can pick up a complex offense vs another gunslinger.

I think I'm going to disagree with this. It makes sense. But I just think everyone wants a gunslinger, in reality. I don't think you can really judge by the guys the Bears have brought in. Daniel was brought in because he knew the offense. Foles was brought in because he knows the offense. Same with Bray. And sometimes, you gotta take what you can get. KC could get Alex Smith years ago and they did. But when they got a chance to get their gunslinger, they tossed Smith aside and got Mahomes. If Nagy and Pace like Love and can find a taker for Trubisky, I have no doubts they would eventually toss Foles aside for Love.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know some of the best QBs are smart and instinctual, but you simply can not teach height or a strong arm. If we are going to pick a QB, they need to have the physical traits and hope they can be coached up.

Love, Morgan, Montez all have those physical traits.

I want nothing to do with Hurt or Fromm

If the Team would take the approach that nothing we do this year will impact our approach towards QB next year, then that would make me happy.

Problem is they will let this years draft effect next years, because "drafting a QB every year" was a lie....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Sooooooo Jake Fromm it is then.