dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't think he should go before then but teams tend to panic on QB's on draft day and trade up for a guy that would be there anyway. If only we knew of a GM that made that mistake....

How do GM's know a QB will drop to their pick? How do they know if another team thinks you're gonna take that QB at 8 that they won't trade up to 7 to take that QB?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I have nothing against Love as a prospect/person, but it's a terrible fit timing wise for the Bears to use more assets to move up and draft a guy who will need a few seasons of development. Meanwhile RG and SS have not been well addressed, i'm very high on our CB2 options but many posters are skeptical, and the team is desperate for good young depth at OT. Now if more moves happen between now and draft we can talk (especially if they manage to get one of the few vet OGs still out there), but until that happens Bears can't afford to combine assets to trade up for another QB prospect. We're still recovering from the last time they did that.
The trade to move up for Trubisky had no impact in draft picks and is not why the Bears are recovering. They are recovering because the pick did not pan out. The Bears will not be going anywhere if they do not keep drafting a QB until they get it right. They have to draft another QB at some point in the draft.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is a pretty solid prediction. Not saying it will happen, but it makes a lot of sense on some levels. If Pace/Nagy really feel their jobs are on the line, they could sell ownership on the fact they think they have their franchise QB in waiting. My hang up on something like this is I don't think anyone is trading for Trubisky. He's had trouble learning Nagy's offense in the 2 years in Chicago, I don't see a team taking him this late in the process, with no OTAs, and thinking he can learn their offense in the year he has left under contract....not to mention the month of camp he'll hopefully have if they want him to start Week 1.

Also of note, Seattle LOVES to trade back in the draft. They did so 3 times before they picked in 2019 and 3 times before their first pick in 2017. Also traded back in 2018.

Last year, the Redskins traded up from 46 to 26 (to the Colts) and the price was a 2020 2nd rounder. So, conceivably the Bears could get to 26, while keeping 50 and their 2021 first round pick. Not advocating for any of this to happen, just pointing out that this prediction, while bold, certainly is not unheard of.

I think we've all learned by now that you don't put anything past Ryan Pace when it comes to the draft. If he identifies a player he likes and doesn't think that player will drop to his pick he makes the move to go get that player. What we haven't seen is how Pace will work in a draft that he doesn't have a 1st, 3rd or 4th round pick in.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think I'm going to disagree with this. It makes sense. But I just think everyone wants a gunslinger, in reality. I don't think you can really judge by the guys the Bears have brought in. Daniel was brought in because he knew the offense. Foles was brought in because he knows the offense. Same with Bray. And sometimes, you gotta take what you can get. KC could get Alex Smith years ago and they did. But when they got a chance to get their gunslinger, they tossed Smith aside and got Mahomes. If Nagy and Pace like Love and can find a taker for Trubisky, I have no doubts they would eventually toss Foles aside for Love.

Having Foles for what could be 3 years is actually the perfect scenario for drafting a QB that needs time to sit and learn and ya gotta give it to Pace for how he got Foles to re-work the contract we got him on. Foles would be the best backup QB in the NFL. $8 mil is a lot but not for a guy that has shown he can thrive when he has to start because the starter got injured or pulled or whatever the case may be.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
How do GM's know a QB will drop to their pick? How do they know if another team thinks you're gonna take that QB at 8 that they won't trade up to 7 to take that QB?

You go by what you're hearing. There are rumors every year about who "this team loves" and "this team is looking to move up", etc.

Somewhat related rant, but I cringe everytime I hear/read somebody say the trade up for Mitch was stupid because the 49ers weren't going to take him. I heard that on a podcast this morning, and it's the dumbest thing. Obviously, the 49ers weren't going to take him or they would have taken him and not talked to any other team. Pace traded up to prevent someone from doing the same and taking Trubisky away from the Bears. The trade was stupid because the QB is bad. If Pace had taken Watson, the trade is brilliant whether it was necessary or not.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think I'm going to disagree with this. KC could get Alex Smith years ago and they did. But when they got a chance to get their gunslinger, they tossed Smith aside and got Mahomes.

Yes but Reid is a proven QB developer, and Nagy clearly isn't that guy. He doesn't like to coach up his players. He would rather design and call plays.

Trubs and virtually every other offensive players shitting the bed in 2019 tells you all you need to know about how Nagy coaches execution. He just doesn't.

Look at who they brought in. Foles. Not athletic and more of a game manager. I think that is the fit they will go with if they draft a QB. If they want to develop a gunslinger they could just keep Mitch.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Sooooooo Jake Fromm it is then.

Exactly right. I think this is the type of QB they would target. They need a very smart QB who can read the whole field and digest a complex offense.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yes but Reid is a proven QB developer, and Nagy clearly isn't that guy. He doesn't like to coach up his players. He would rather design and call plays.

Trubs and virtually every other offensive players shitting the bed in 2019 tells you all you need to know about how Nagy coaches execution. He just doesn't.

Look at who they brought in. Foles. Not athletic and more of a game manager. I think that is the fit they will go with if they draft a QB. If they want to develop a gunslinger they could just keep Mitch.

First of all, (no disrespect intended) it doesn't matter what you think Nagy is. I'm 100% sure Nagy thinks he's a guy that can develop a QB. I don't even have to know the guy to know that his opinion is likely that it's Mitch that's the problem not his coaching.

Secondly, I addressed the part about Foles. They brought in Foles because they had to do the best they could. They don't have the pick to ensure they get a mobile, gunslinging type. They didn't have the money to go out and pay Brady. They didn't have the luxury of assuming the mobile Cam Newton was healthy.

They brought in Foles, because that's the best they could do with their given resources. They can't develop Mitch, because that ship has sailed. He's getting 9Mil+ this year, and in order to keep him you'd have to pay him exponentially more to "develop" him. That's not a viable option at all. You develop guys on rookie contracts.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Exactly right. I think this is the type of QB they would target. They need a very smart QB who can read the whole field and digest a complex offense.

I'm not saying they should draft him but if they're looking for smarts, short ball accuracy and a game manager then Fromm is that guy. I don't think we know yet what Nagy actually wants in a QB. He said they liked Trubs and did there work on him before the draft in KC but that's also just coach talk cause he just got to Chicago and he's gonna make sure he says all the right things to the media when talking about the young QB they just drafted.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the hell, the Bears are loaded with late, late, late round picks, take a flyer. What do they have to loose?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
First of all, (no disrespect intended) it doesn't matter what you think Nagy is. I'm 100% sure Nagy thinks he's a guy that can develop a QB. I don't even have to know the guy to know that his opinion is likely that it's Mitch that's the problem not his coaching.

Secondly, I addressed the part about Foles. They brought in Foles because they had to do the best they could. They don't have the pick to ensure they get a mobile, gunslinging type. They didn't have the money to go out and pay Brady. They didn't have the luxury of assuming the mobile Cam Newton was healthy.

They brought in Foles, because that's the best they could do with their given resources. They can't develop Mitch, because that ship has sailed. He's getting 9Mil+ this year, and in order to keep him you'd have to pay him exponentially more to "develop" him. That's not a viable option at all. You develop guys on rookie contracts.

I think they got Foles cause he was the best fit. The guy won a super bowl and has played his best football in Philly playing in the same system they ran in KC or at least very close to it. He's a great team first guy and does all the right things in the locker room and QB's room and we have like 3-4 coaches that have already worked with him in KC or Philly. I know many love hating on Pace and will if Foles completely blows it in Chicago but Pace made the most logical decision on this one.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying they should draft him but if they're looking for smarts, short ball accuracy and a game manager then Fromm is that guy. I don't think we know yet what Nagy actually wants in a QB. He said they liked Trubs and did there work on him before the draft in KC but that's also just coach talk cause he just got to Chicago and he's gonna make sure he says all the right things to the media when talking about the young QB they just drafted.

The thing is though....NOBODY wants that. Every coach wants an Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson type who can make plays when the pocket breaks down, oh and has an electric arm to go with it. Nobody actually wants a game manager. People settle for a game manager because Rodgers, Mahomes and Watsons don't grow on trees.

Like I said, it's why the Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith. He was smart, among the most accurate ever in short game, and the king of game managers. Yet they drafted a QB top 10, the year after going 12-4 with Smith and traded him despite 4 double-digit win teams in his 5 years there.

Last edited:

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

to say that nagy clearly isnt that guy or he doesnt like to coach up players is your speculation unless you have first hand proof.

the biggest mistake in the nagy era was his staff hires. He chose to bring in diverse backgrounds to promote innovation which was a big mistake, he kept ragone who has no business of being a qb coach and was simply retained because mitch liked him, grow some balls nagy... 2018 opponents didnt know what to truly expect from nagy's scheme so for the most part they caught their opponents off guard. Fast forward to now and nagy is trying to rectify those poor staff hires by having brought in people he has some sort of history with.

I'm prob in the minority but i think mitch still has a decent chance to play well under an actual qb coach like deflippo

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So the Bears are interested in James Morgan and the guy from James Madison?
They're interested in everyone their not actually interested in other than UDFAs... like this.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The thing is though....NOBODY wants that. Every coach wants an Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson type who can make plays when the pocket breaks down, oh and has an electric arm to go with it. Nobody actually wants a game manager. People settle for a game manager because Rodgers, Mahomes and Watsons don't grow on trees.

Like I said, it's why the Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith. He was smart, among the most accurate ever in short game, and the king of game managers. Yet they drafted a QB top 10, the year after going 12-4 with Smith and traded him despite 4 double-digit win teams in his 5 years there.

Well yeah obviously teams want QB's like Mahomes and Rodgers but as you said those guys are hard to find. Nobody thought either one of those two were gonna be anything close to what they are so you also have to have some luck involved with the QB's you draft. If you have a system and coaches that just fit perfect with the guy you draft and he can get through the mental part of making it in the NFL, which is the biggest part that nobody can predict with these kids, then things just click and everything just works. But until you find a guy like that then you can do exactly what the Chiefs did and have a game manager type like A.Smith starting for you and make playoff runs and even make some noise in the playoffs. If Mahomes didn't show out for the Chiefs then they would of kept Smith.