Payton: Cutler can be an elite quarterback

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4682411/payton-cutler-can-be-an-elite-quarterback

chi_u_jaycts_576.jpg

The "elite" quarterback club gained a new member in the Baltimore Ravens' Joe Flacco thanks to his Super Bowl MVP performance, and New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton believes Jay Cutler has the potential to join him.

"Yeah, I think he can," Payton said Wednesday on "Carmen, Jurko & Harry" on ESPN Chicago 1000. "We like to throw this term around the last five years, is he elite, is he one of the top five (quarterbacks)? The biggest thing is can we win a Super Bowl with this player? You look at a guy that just won, Joe Flacco. There's a journey, a path for each of these guys that win a Super Bowl, and it's not always the same.

"A guy like Trent Dilfer certainly was different than a guy like Drew Brees who was different than Peyton Manning. The question is can we get into the end zone with this guy, can he lead us to where we want to go, to where Jim McMahon took the Bears back in the '80s? I think the two big allies for good quarterback play are a good defense and a good running game. That takes pressure off that position."

Cutler has made the playoffs just one time in his four seasons in Chicago and narrowly missed the postseason in 2012 after starting 7-1 only to finish 10-6. He figures to benefit from new head coach Marc Trestman, a quarterback guru and veteran NFL offensive coordinator.

"He's got a big arm. I like what you see from him in the pocket," Payton said of Cutler. "I'm sure Marc will work on some specifics with him. I think he's a great talent. He's certainly someone at that stage where he's at where I think that expectation rises a little bit because you want to see that next step."

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with Sean Payton (the offensive genius)....

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
Nice to see a coach like Payton high on the 4th most hated athlete.

(sarcasm, for those of you who have a hard time comprehending it)

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I almost can't wait to wake up in the morning to see how this one goes...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
i thought Payton was smart. :dunno: Maybe he was just trying to be nice. Can't exactly say "no, the guy sucks" and not come off looking like a jerk.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i thought Payton was smart. :dunno: Maybe he was just trying to be nice. Can't exactly say "no, the guy sucks" and not come off looking like a jerk.

Maybe what he should have said was "I can make him elite". He has all the talent, just has to put it together.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Sean Paytons a joke. Doesn't he know the media and fans know more than him? Sheesh, the ignorance of that guy.

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
What does Sean Payton know about qb's? If u want the real answer on if Cutler can be elite just ask the qb guru Bearmick!

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What made him bring up Cutler anyways?

dondraper

objective football minds see all the tools and talent cutler has, and they know with the right coaching and players around him he could be great. that is if he wants it and is willing to develop the intangibles that it takes to win

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler, elite? Hahaha... Keep dreaming. "Elite" is top 3 in the NFL.. Jay can't even crack the top 10, which is "above average" in a league with 32 QBs. But let the excuses begin with oline, not enough weapons, too many OC's, etc. It's funny to read :)

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cutler, elite? Hahaha... Keep dreaming. "Elite" is top 3 in the NFL.. Jay can't even crack the top 10, which is "above average" in a league with 32 QBs. But let the excuses begin with oline, not enough weapons, too many OC's, etc. It's funny to read :)

Agreed. Brady, Manning and Brees are elite. Rodgers is above average

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rodgers has played at an elite level his entire playing career. A few more years maintaining the same level will make more people more willing to put him in that special group.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

We are all entitled to our own opinions. If you have Brees over Rodgers, good for you. I politely disagree :) If you would rather have Brees then Rodgers, I doubt your knowledge on football. Either way, elite is for a select few. Top 10 is jist above average. 16th is completely average, and so on and so forth.

dondraper

Rodgers has played at an elite level his entire playing career. A few more years maintaining the same level will make more people more willing to put him in that special group.

he has never thrown less than 28 tds or more than 13 ints i can't even argue with you. you are still a bitch though