Payton: Cutler can be an elite quarterback

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It would be nice if we could get some elite "people"
its all or nothing with folks nowadays, if you dont win 3 superbowls, have a certain QBR
you must be the worst QB in the world.
Bears fans bitching about Cutler would bitch about anyone who was the QB.
Frankly ive seen Jay do things on the field that no other Bears QB has done, and since he is not our GLARING weakness
I see no need to cut or trade him without a viable backup.
Some idiots here would probaby think that backup is Campbell or the "understated" Caleb Hanie.
But i just think people have a blind hatred for someone because of media opinion.
I like Jay , he needs to work on his leadership, but the kid can fling the ball, and make plays with his feet.
Sean Payton would have jay balling. Hopefully we have found our Sean Payton in Marc Trestman.
Why does this matter?

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
O Canada, you crack me up. You just want be a part of something so bad you little ankle biter you.

You're one of the leaders of the irritable bowel Jay syndrome, so this reply doesn't surprise me one bit.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
It seems like a lot of posters in this thread are argueing just to argue...Payton never said he was elite, he just said he has the potential to be elite. Most of us here can agree he has talent, he has shown that he can put together great games. His biggest problems is he will make bad decisions and he does that a little more than we would like to see. But there is no denying he has talent. So when Payton says that he could be elite, he isn't calling him elite now and he isn't saying he will be elite later. he just said he has the potential. And potential is only good if you make something of it.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems like a lot of posters in this thread are argueing just to argue...Payton never said he was elite, he just said he has the potential to be elite. Most of us here can agree he has talent, he has shown that he can put together great games. His biggest problems is he will make bad decisions and he does that a little more than we would like to see. But there is no denying he has talent. So when Payton says that he could be elite, he isn't calling him elite now and he isn't saying he will be elite later. he just said he has the potential. And potential is only good if you make something of it.

It's a politically correct way of answering questions by a HC and I have no issues with that. But it's the "I told you so" crowd, the same crowd that would jump up and down had he said something negative, IMO.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's a politically correct way of answering questions by a HC and I have no issues with that. But it's the "I told you so" crowd, the same crowd that would jump up and down had he said something negative, IMO.

Its almost like they see the words "elite" and "Cutler" in the same article and they get excited that those two were mentioned in the same breath. I think its a 50-50 on what Payton said. I'm sure he was being PC for the Chicago crowd by not elaborating why he isn't elite now and only has potential to be elite. But I think he also see's that Cutler can make the jump with the right coach and if he can cut down the amount of mistakes he does in a game/season.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its almost like they see the words "elite" and "Cutler" in the same article and they get excited that those two were mentioned in the same breath. I think its a 50-50 on what Payton said. I'm sure he was being PC for the Chicago crowd by not elaborating why he isn't elite now and only has potential to be elite. But I think he also see's that Cutler can make the jump with the right coach and if he can cut down the amount of mistakes he does in a game/season.

I agree with most of this, but I'd say your confidence level in Jay is a little higher than mine. I'm hopefull as a Bears fan, but pessimist as a football fan. Hopefully the Bears fan wins this one though! :)

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree with most of this, but I'd say your confidence level in Jay is a little higher than mine. I'm hopefull as a Bears fan, but pessimist as a football fan. Hopefully the Bears fan wins this one though! :)

I can understand why one's confidence would be low with Cutler, he really hasn't done much outside of showing flashes that he can be good. And before the group that will site his record, it is a team game and in most of the wins he has they weren't games where he took over and flat out won the game. but where the one crowd who only see it as flashes and aren't confident that he can turn the corner. I see it as he may not be there, but I am still holding out hope that he will get there.

I guess it is pretty annoying to see the posters here who only see Cutler through rose colored glasses. And although he may be better then what the Bears have had in recent history, that doesn't count for dick in the grand scheme of things. We as fans need to see Cutler for what he is...someone who has the talent but just makes too many mistakes.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can understand why one's confidence would be low with Cutler, he really hasn't done much outside of showing flashes that he can be good. And before the group that will site his record, it is a team game and in most of the wins he has they weren't games where he took over and flat out won the game. but where the one crowd who only see it as flashes and aren't confident that he can turn the corner. I see it as he may not be there, but I am still holding out hope that he will get there.

I guess it is pretty annoying to see the posters here who only see Cutler through rose colored glasses. And although he may be better then what the Bears have had in recent history, that doesn't count for dick in the grand scheme of things. We as fans need to see Cutler for what he is...someone who has the talent but just makes too many mistakes.

Bingo.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So, I was gonna give you some positive rep, but it told me that I have to spread it around, lol

dondraper

coaches have egos, i believe payton thinks he could turn cutler into a elite qb if he coached him.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its annoying that the same few people bitch about Cutler just as well. This was Payton's opinion and the same few people came and dismissed it

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

And the "I told you so" haterade crowd that's jumps up and down whenever something positive about Cutler gets said is any better? LOL. It's the same exact annoying behavior.

OMG did someone posted a thread saying positive things about Cutler?!? NOT ON MY WATCH!! All must conform to my negative opinion of Cutler! Assimilate with our 5 man hivemind or else!!!!!

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Its annoying that the same few people bitch about Cutler just as well. This was Payton's opinion and the same few people came and dismissed it

Fair enough, for every poster on here who thinks a little too highly of Cutler...there is another that will think a little to low of Cutler. I know its the offseason so we are going to see a ton of threads of poster bashing and praising Cutler. I just think as fans we need to look at him in a more realistic light and know he isn't elite now, and unless he cajn cut back the mistakes he won't ever be considered elite. But on the flip side he has the talent and has shown when his head is on straight he can put together a very good game.

We all just need to meet in the middle on our opinion of Cutler.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And the "I told you so" haterade crowd that's jumps up and down whenever something positive about Cutler gets said is any better? LOL. It's the same exact annoying behavior.

OMG did someone posted a thread saying positive things about Cutler?!? NOT ON MY WATCH!! All must conform to my negative opinion of Cutler! Assimilate with our 5 man hivemind or else!!!!!

That statement makes no sense.

The "I told you so haterade crowd" would "jump up and down" when something negative is said. Not positive.

Failure post is a failure.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fair enough, for every poster on here who thinks a little too highly of Cutler...there is another that will think a little to low of Cutler. I know its the offseason so we are going to see a ton of threads of poster bashing and praising Cutler. I just think as fans we need to look at him in a more realistic light and know he isn't elite now, and unless he cajn cut back the mistakes he won't ever be considered elite. But on the flip side he has the talent and has shown when his head is on straight he can put together a very good game.

We all just need to meet in the middle on our opinion of Cutler.

The story of Cutler's career thus far is unfulfilled promise. Whose fault that is seems to be the main point of debate.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
That statement makes no sense.

Allow me to walk you through it...

A positive thread gets posted (like this one where Payton gives praise) to which the usual hater crowd jump up and down telling everyone to dismiss it and that it means nothing and we should all agree that he's just saying that to be nice because it's an unwritten NFL rule that you should say nice things about guys on other teams.

Are you able to follow that? Not like it ultimately matters though since they will also jump up and down when a negative article gets written. In which case one of the haters will inevitably post the article here at which point all the rest of the haters will jump in and use that as the latest excuse to confirm their negative opinions and berate any positive opinion that comes into the thread in defense of Cutler.

Still following along here or was that to complex for you to mentally digest?

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The story of Cutler's career thus far is unfulfilled promise. Whose fault that is seems to be the main point of debate.

We can try and place the blame on so many different OC's or lack of weapons or even injuries cutting a couple seasons short, but in the end it is Cutler throwing the ball so he is the one who has to shoulder the bulk of the blame.

But he isn't as bad of a player as some protray him as, he isn't great but he isn't bad. He is a little more middle of the road with talent to be better. and I get how you can feel that his career is unfulfilled promise, because when you only see flashes of that talent you expect to see it more consistently which he hasn't been doing.

I feel that its always been a wait and see attitude for me with Cutler. When he got here there was the excitement of having a talented QB, but Ron Turner was an awful OC, then Martz came and it was a lets wait and see what he can do with a better OC, then it was Tice's turn and again it was a lets wait and see what Tice can do, now again where are in a let's wait and see what Trestman can do. I can't blame the Bears FO for not extending his contract. I think all we need to see is some improvement, doesn't have to be drastic but just an improvement with Trestman before we can seriously consider extending him

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Allow me to walk you through it...

A positive thread gets posted (like this one where Payton gives praise) to which the usual hater crowd jump up and down telling everyone to dismiss it and that it means nothing and we should all agree that he's just saying that to be nice because it's an unwritten NFL rule that you should say nice things about guys on other teams.

That's not an "I told you so moment" for the hater crowd. An "I told you so moment" would be a negative article being posted and the "haterade" crowd jumping up and down pointing it out as things they've been saying..hence "They've told you so".

Fail on the walk through moron.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.