Payton: Cutler can be an elite quarterback

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Except the leading receiver from the previous year, Johnny Knox, was on IR.

Your arguments are so easily negated it is not even funny.

What are you going to say next, it's Cutler's fault Forte did not have the receiving yardage he had the year prior?

:andruw:
Great point. I'm sure Jay Cutler was Johnny Knox away from showing some REAL improvement.

FYI, last seasons leading receiver for the Bears was technically Matt Forte with 52 receptions. Knox lead them in yardage. But please tell us all more about how Cutler needed more weapons to succeed...he got Brandon Marshall..and most regressed.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Except the leading receiver from the previous year, Johnny Knox, was on IR.

Your arguments are so easily negated it is not even funny.

What are you going to say next, it's Cutler's fault Forte did not have the receiving yardage he had the year prior?

:andruw:

Because Knox was the x-factor on this team...Knox is decent but to think his absence is what caused a drop in production from Cutler is just ridiculous.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just for the hell of it.

Jay Cutler' stats in which he improved from 2011 to 2012:
Completion percentage: +.8%(58.0 to 58.8)
TD %: +.3%(4.1 to 4.4)

Jay Cutler' stats in which he declined from 2011 to 2012:
Interception %: -1.0 (2.2 to 3.2)
YPA: -.4 (7.4 to 7.0)
AYA: -.8 (7.2 to 6.4)
YPC: -.8 (12.7 to 11.9)
YPG: -29.7 (231.9 to 202.2)
Passer Rating: -4.4 (85.7 to 81.3)
QBR: -7.78 (59.77 to 51.91) *I hate this "stat" but here ya go anyways*
NYA: -.51 (6.41 to 5.90)
ANYA: -.88 (6.25 to 5.37)
Rate+: -6 (101 to 95)

All this despite Marshall being a 1st Team All Pro and having the best season in Bears history for a WR in the modern era.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So Jay Cutler's performance is directly tied to Johnny Knox? Kind of sad. Aaron Rodgers still played well with Greg Jennings missing most of the year. Peyton Manning went to a new team and performed great with Decker and Thomas. I think above-average/good QBs would be able to peform well without the services of Johnny Knox. Thats just me, though.

Someone else said it in a different thread, but its an apt description of Cutler when you look at his performance and statistics. He has all the weaknesses of a "gunslinger" (turnovers, never throws the ball away, aggressive decisions, impetuous) and very few of the strengths (ability to move the ball on offense, big plays, scores points).
Yeah, that's a pretty sad dynamic. I would think that if most QB's in the NFL essentially traded the presence of Johhny Knox for Brandon Marshall and Marshall put up the numbers he did for the Bears that the QB's performance and play would increase/get better. In Cutler's case when a worse WR is exchanged for the presence of a better one and the better WR makes first team all pro and sets team records in the process while having maybe the 2nd or 3rd best year for a player at his position in that year.....it's regresses.

Cutler must have been born under a bad sign or something.

Last edited:

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
derp

I kept forgetting that B Marshall threw all these passes to himself.
I blame mike Tice for the trainwreck that was our offense last year.

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
Still waiting for someone to tell me what qb is doing more with less talent than Cutler

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
Just for the hell of it.

All this despite Marshall being a 1st Team All Pro and having the best season in Bears history for a WR in the modern era.
hmmm so offensive line play has nothing to do with a qb's success? Im starting to think u are jerry angelo himself

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Still waiting for someone to tell me what qb is doing more with less talent than Cutler

Kind of an odd demand seeing as Cutler did less with more talent this past season compared to 2011.

Punished

Liked Posts:
Just for the hell of it.

So is this how you confirm that Jay sucks?

Just asking cus it really doesn't make sense since the entire offense had their numbers drop in some form.

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
Kind of an odd demand seeing as Cutler did less with more talent this past season compared to 2011.
Kind of odd when u ignore if every post how terrible the offensive line was.
Btw u still havnt listed anyone that is doing more with less.

Punished

Liked Posts:
So changing OC's has no effect on a teams production...hmmmm

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So is this how you confirm that Jay sucks?

Just asking cus it really doesn't make sense since the entire offense had their numbers drop in some form.

:obama:

I never said Cutler sucks.

In fact I've said the exact opposite in this very thread.

To your second point. The running game didn't really drop off at all.

2011: 29APG 126YPG (both 9th in the NFL) 10TD's(21st in the NFL)

2012: 29APG 123YPG (both 10th in the NFL) 11TD's(18th in the NFL)

The two rushing attacks were practical statistical mirror images of each other.

The only real drop off the 2012 offense had was maybe the OL was a bit worse(despite the rushing attack staying the same) and the passing offense was worse(despite Marshall's excellence).

So changing OC's has no effect on a teams production...hmmmm
It must not have.....

Reality>your perception.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Because Knox was the x-factor on this team...Knox is decent but to think his absence is what caused a drop in production from Cutler is just ridiculous.

How about a change in OC yet again.

And yes, losing Knox and his league leading 19+ YPC did not hurt at all.

System continuity is the the most underrated factor in the success of a QB. Lovie dovie couldnt provide that for Cutler, shocker.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many QBs in the league without an elite wr so pick anyone you want. P Manning went to a new team and still put up huge numbers. Aaron Rodgers played at the same top level he always does when he lost his top wr. Tom Brady has worked with less in the past and got 3 rings to show for it. RG3 put up stellar numbers as a true rookie and did it just by spreading the ball around. Certainly no elite receiver in Washington. Russel Wilson, another rookie starter did the same. Both rookies had over 100 rating their very first year. A mark Cutler hasn't come close to in his entire 7 year career.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kind of odd when u ignore if every post how terrible the offensive line was.
Btw u still havnt listed anyone that is doing more with less.
BTW, it's still a stupid demand. Cutler got the best WR in bears history, he ended up having an all pro season and the 2nd or third best season in the NFL this year....and Cutler regressed despite getting more talent.

You're missing the point.

Per gpphat:
If Marshall had a career year, then we should see a bump in Cutler's production, we didn't see that bump though. His rating actually went down from last year.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RG3 put up stellar numbers as a true rookie and did it just by spreading the ball around. Certainly no elite receiver in Washington. Russel Wilson, another rookie starter did the same. Both rookies had over 100 rating their very first year. A mark Cutler hasn't come close to in his entire 7 year career.

Cutler hasn't even hit 90.

Two rookies, both with lesser receivers than Cutler, both vastly outperformed any season in Cutler's career.

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH all u fucking idiots continue to ignore the offensive line. I wasnt aware that a #1 wr makes up a complete passing attack.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How about a change in OC yet again.

And yes, losing Knox and his league leading 19+ YPC did not hurt at all.

System continuity is the the most underrated factor in the success of a QB. Lovie dovie couldnt provide that for Cutler, shocker.
And Cutler had NOTHING to do with Martz leaving?

This is what I don't get. Cutler is a complete asshat to Martz, Pep Hamilton, Ron Turner, etc. Flatly refusing to work with some of them or give them the time of day(especially Hamilton). The Bears make changes, partly because Cutler seems to be an asshole. Cutler gives his blessing to the new guy(Martz, Tice) the bears go on to not play well, and Cutler ends up having issues with them both(perhaps in part to maturity or respect problems) and the Bears cycle in new coaches..yet Cutler is absolved of all the blame for the rotating door of coaches and gets all the benefits from it(ZOMG, How can he get better with coaches changing?!?!)

LOL at this fanbase.