Payton: Cutler can be an elite quarterback

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We can try and place the blame on so many different OC's or lack of weapons or even injuries cutting a couple seasons short, but in the end it is Cutler throwing the ball so he is the one who has to shoulder the bulk of the blame.

But he isn't as bad of a player as some protray him as, he isn't great but he isn't bad. He is a little more middle of the road with talent to be better. and I get how you can feel that his career is unfulfilled promise, because when you only see flashes of that talent you expect to see it more consistently which he hasn't been doing.

I feel that its always been a wait and see attitude for me with Cutler. When he got here there was the excitement of having a talented QB, but Ron Turner was an awful OC, then Martz came and it was a lets wait and see what he can do with a better OC, then it was Tice's turn and again it was a lets wait and see what Tice can do, now again where are in a let's wait and see what Trestman can do. I can't blame the Bears FO for not extending his contract. I think all we need to see is some improvement, doesn't have to be drastic but just an improvement with Trestman before we can seriously consider extending him
Better put on your flame suit.

Cutler is what he is. Which is a pretty slightly above average NFL QB. Even in his PB season his rate+ was a 104. League average is 100. That was with a great line and good weapons. I'll admit that the Bears lack of weapons seems to have held him back but even this year with Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte being *mostly* healthy Cutler was pretty meh. A bad OL can account for somethings but not continued bone headed throws.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All that being said, I think if Cutler buys in...Trestman should be a great coach for him. Cutler had his best seasons in Chicago under Martz...Trestman to me is a less abrasive/fanatical Martz. Obviously the systems are different but I think from the fundamental perspective and what Trestman works with QB's on it'll be good for Cutler. Plus I like the system Trestman runs and how it matches up with Cutler's skill set(both the positives and the negatives).

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not an "I told you so moment" for the hater crowd. An "I told you so moment" would be a negative article being posted and the "haterade" crowd jumping up and down pointing it out as things they've been saying..hence "They've told you so".

Fail on the walk through moron.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

LOL I wasn't giving you a definition of an "I told you so moment" you fucking mongoloid. My argument is that the jump up and down behavior isn't specific to just one side of the Jay Cutler Holy war. Both sides of the hater/homer spectrum are as guilty as the other.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Cutler is what he is. Which is a pretty slightly above average NFL QB. Even in his PB season his rate+ was a 104. League average is 100. That was with a great line and good weapons. I'll admit that the Bears lack of weapons seems to have held him back but even this year with Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte being *mostly* healthy Cutler was pretty meh. A bad OL can account for somethings but not continued bone headed throws.

Here is the problem with what you are saying. Even with Brandon Marshall......

The dude had a career high in receiving yards and touchdowns. If BMarsh had a average or down year your point would be a valid one.

You are actually making a point for the ones who support Cutler as obviously it looks to be the OL and other "weapons" that is the main problem. He had no other help.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
All that being said, I think if Cutler buys in...Trestman should be a great coach for him. Cutler had his best seasons in Chicago under Martz...Trestman to me is a less abrasive/fanatical Martz. Obviously the systems are different but I think from the fundamental perspective and what Trestman works with QB's on it'll be good for Cutler. Plus I like the system Trestman runs and how it matches up with Cutler's skill set(both the positives and the negatives).

I agree 100%, a true WCO can play to Cutler's strengths and will minimize him needing to gamble so much down the field. I think with Trestman we can hope for some improvement from Cutler and we should also see Forte's production get a bump...more of what we were getting in 2011 before he got injured.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And the "I told you so" haterade crowd that's jumps up and down whenever something positive about Cutler gets said is any better? LOL. It's the same exact annoying behavior.

FT said:
The "I told you so haterade crowd" would "jump up and down" when something negative is said. Not positive.

Allow me to walk you through it...

LOL I wasn't giving you a definition of an "I told you so moment

:andruw:

Nice try.

You still suck.

On ignore you go.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The dude had a career high in receiving yards and touchdowns. If BMarsh had a average or down year your point would be a valid one.

You are actually making a point for the ones who support Cutler as obviously it looks to be the OL and other "weapons" that is the main problem. He had no other help.

If Marshall had a career year, then we should see a bump in Cutler's production, we didn't see that bump though. His rating actually went down from last year

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No. Marshall's career season..yet Cutler's spectacularly "meh" season overall doesn't prove Cutler needs more weapons..it proves that even with the best receiving season in bears history Cutler was still absurdly average. For the theory of Cutler needs weapons to succeed to be correct we should have seen a statistical bump from Cutler this past season..even a slight one. Cutler was actually worse this year than the season before for the most part.

LOL at your complete lack of understanding.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Marshall had a career year, then we should see a bump in Cutler's production, we didn't see that bump though. His rating actually went down from last year

This. You can't make the argument that Cutler needs more weapons to succeed..and then give him Brandon Marshall who puts up ridiculous numbers.... and see a further regression from Cutler..and still have a hugely valid point.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think this is the first time I have ever seen you say what you actually think of Cutler instead of just question and argue with people who think he is elite. Good post.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think this is the first time I have ever seen you say what you actually think of Cutler instead of just question and argue with people who think he is elite. Good post.

I've said that repeatedly on this site. You likely haven't been around for it.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
And miss out on the comedy that is your absolutely Special person opinion? Hell no!!! Your idiotic thoughts provide me with a laugh every day I read them. I thank you for that :) but please don't respond to me, I am not qualified to respond to you, I'm not a special ed teacher.
Shut up, Bill.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've said that repeatedly on this site. You likely haven't been around for it.

I will admit I don't read everything you post. But my bad for grouping you in with the Cutler is trash crowd.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

What I have learned is when you put together a well thought out post, you tend to get the same back

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I have learned is when you put together a well thought out post, you tend to get the same back

I agree. Problem is just like you pointed out earlier in this thread. It always seems there is only two groups that argue back and forth about Cutler being Elite or Trash when neither are correct, and he is above average.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why do people who support Cutler do it by ripping Rodgers?

We all HATE the goudaheads, but Rodgers is on Brady, Manning, Brees level right now. I hate him with a passion, but he it is a pleasure to watch play the qb position. Cutty is not even on the same level as him.

Can he be? Skill-wise, hell yes he can be. The issue with Cutler has never been skill. It's the head the separates the good from the great, and the great from the elite. I honestly can't tell if he WANTS to be elite or not. Cutler makes fantastic decisions, then making mindnumbingly awful ones. There is just no consistency there. And he tends to point out everyone around who fucked up, but rarely himself. If it would take being in a film room for hours breaking down every person on the field like Manning does, do you Cutler would put in the time? I honestly don't know.

I honestly think that Cutler wants to do the best he can, but I'm not sure if he wants or has the desire to be great or "elite". Strictly from observation....

BEARS

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think that many people think he is the elite QB in the NFL... Above average or good yes he is... A Bad or poor QB he is not...

The thing is you can win a super bowl with an above average QB, the Ravens just proved it. So there is no point to try to get rid of cutler, instead we should try to help him succeed by surrounding him with talent like Brady and Rodgers have.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

No. Marshall's career season..yet Cutler's spectacularly "meh" season overall doesn't prove Cutler needs more weapons..it proves that even with the best receiving season in bears history Cutler was still absurdly average. For the theory of Cutler needs weapons to succeed to be correct we should have seen a statistical bump from Cutler this past season..even a slight one. Cutler was actually worse this year than the season before for the most part.

LOL at your complete lack of understanding.

Except the leading receiver from the previous year, Johnny Knox, was on IR.

Your arguments are so easily negated it is not even funny.

What are you going to say next, it's Cutler's fault Forte did not have the receiving yardage he had the year prior?

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the "I told you so" haterade crowd that's jumps up and down whenever something positive about Cutler gets said is any better? LOL. It's the same exact annoying behavior.

OMG did someone posted a thread saying positive things about Cutler?!? NOT ON MY WATCH!! All must conform to my negative opinion of Cutler! Assimilate with our 5 man hivemind or else!!!!!
its not my fault that you see things black or white ... You better watch out too, that 96% football posting is quickly dropping ...