Payton: Cutler can be an elite quarterback

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler, elite? Hahaha... Keep dreaming. "Elite" is top 3 in the NFL.. Jay can't even crack the top 10, which is "above average" in a league with 32 QBs. But let the excuses begin with oline, not enough weapons, too many OC's, etc. It's funny to read :)

Keep dreaming.. It's common knowledge around here that "elite" is actually considered to be top 1 in the NFL and can only be attained by beating all other QBs in 1 on 1 combat like Highlander. What rock have you been hiding under bro. Cutler is obviously MacLeod and Trestman is the mysterious Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez here to help properly train him. Duh.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keep dreaming.. It's common knowledge around here that "elite" is actually considered to be top 1 in the NFL and can only be attained by beating all other QBs in 1 on 1 combat like Highlander. What rock have you been hiding under bro. Cutler is obviously MacLeod and Trestman is the mysterious Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez here to help properly train him. Duh.

Please don't respond to my comments... You are a well-known idiot. Thanks in advance!

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please don't respond to my comments... You are a well-known idiot. Thanks in advance!

you_mad.gif

lol you're more than welcome to put me on ignore....

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And miss out on the comedy that is your absolutely Special person opinion? Hell no!!! Your idiotic thoughts provide me with a laugh every day I read them. I thank you for that :) but please don't respond to me, I am not qualified to respond to you, I'm not a special ed teacher.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:

In that case Flacco is Elite because he beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady back to back weeks. In the playoffs.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4682411/payton-cutler-can-be-an-elite-quarterback

chi_u_jaycts_576.jpg

The "elite" quarterback club gained a new member in the Baltimore Ravens' Joe Flacco thanks to his Super Bowl MVP performance, and New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton believes Jay Cutler has the potential to join him.

"Yeah, I think he can," Payton said Wednesday on "Carmen, Jurko & Harry" on ESPN Chicago 1000. "We like to throw this term around the last five years, is he elite, is he one of the top five (quarterbacks)? The biggest thing is can we win a Super Bowl with this player? You look at a guy that just won, Joe Flacco. There's a journey, a path for each of these guys that win a Super Bowl, and it's not always the same.

"A guy like Trent Dilfer certainly was different than a guy like Drew Brees who was different than Peyton Manning. The question is can we get into the end zone with this guy, can he lead us to where we want to go, to where Jim McMahon took the Bears back in the '80s? I think the two big allies for good quarterback play are a good defense and a good running game. That takes pressure off that position."

Cutler has made the playoffs just one time in his four seasons in Chicago and narrowly missed the postseason in 2012 after starting 7-1 only to finish 10-6. He figures to benefit from new head coach Marc Trestman, a quarterback guru and veteran NFL offensive coordinator.

"He's got a big arm. I like what you see from him in the pocket," Payton said of Cutler. "I'm sure Marc will work on some specifics with him. I think he's a great talent. He's certainly someone at that stage where he's at where I think that expectation rises a little bit because you want to see that next step."
While it's true Cutler has only gotten to the playoffs one year with the bears, I would say he was well on his way these past two years, but bad coaching decisions and a glaring lack of depth one year crushed those chances, and this past season, coaching did nothing to help this team get to where it was clearly heading. I have no doubt Jay can get us not only to the playoffs, but to a championship. He needed some offensive weapons, Emery addressed a lot of that this past offseason, with a little more to go this one, he needed at least an average oline, hopefully we get some additions that can help get us there this offseason. Plus he needed a real NFL quality offense to put opponents on their heels, and not kill us week in and week out. Trestman is the guy to bring this offense up to date and be explosive, with that I think everyone will see the Jay Cutler that a lot of people think he can be. To think this next year we will have the start of a quality offense, and each year following it should only get better and better as Jay becomes comfortable in it.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's actually funny stuff in this thread :lol:

What was he supposed to say to a Chicago audience? If he would've dared say something bad .... The fanboys would've developed a quick case of diarrhea!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

What was he supposed to say to a Chicago audience? If he would've dared say something bad .... The fanboys would've developed a quick case of diarrhea!

And that would've affected him how, exactly? Just sayin, most people don't seem to have a problem bashing Cutler.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And that would've affected him how, exactly? Just sayin, most people don't seem to have a problem bashing Cutler.

The media hounding him even more? He was actually pretty smart when commenting about a player on a different team, it's not that hard to understand really.

Most of those "people" are talking heads, not HC's.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its all a matter of opinion. As far as being Elite, I think there should be only 1 or 2 out of 32. IF your one of those who think there are 4 or 5 Elite Qbs then you are saying that number 5 is better then 84% which is a B, and a B is not Elite. Shit an A- shouldn't even be called elite.. And, to me the number one is clearly Peyton Manning. I am interested in finding this out this.... Out of the people who don't think cutler is a top 10 QB, do you guys also think Brady or Rodgers is the number 1 QB. If so then I think you value Wins/Stats over Playing Performance.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The media hounding him even more? He was actually pretty smart when commenting about a player on a different team, it's not that hard to understand really.

Most of those "people" are talking heads, not HC's.

Except why would they hound Payton at all, since most of the media would've agreed with him if he bashed Cutler anyway? So again, either way has really no effect on him at all, which gives him no reason to lie.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
i thought Payton was smart. :dunno: Maybe he was just trying to be nice. Can't exactly say "no, the guy sucks" and not come off looking like a jerk.

Hmmm, that hasn't stopped other football guys before when talking about Cutler...

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hmmm, that hasn't stopped other football guys before when talking about Cutler...

Yeah but those other guys aren't current coaches in the NFL. ESPn/CBS/Fox mouth pieces have a less filtered opinion on players than current coaches in the NFL.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yeah but those other guys aren't current coaches in the NFL. ESPn/CBS/Fox mouth pieces have a less filtered opinion on players than current coaches in the NFL.
How so? Is Payton looking for a job or something? Who does he have to pay mouth service to in the NFL at the player level besides his own players?

Not that I care, I have my own opinions about Cutler.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except why would they hound Payton at all, since most of the media would've agreed with him if he bashed Cutler anyway? So again, either way has really no effect on him at all, which gives him no reason to lie.

I'm not into splitting hairs today. If you can't see what I'm talking about, then so be it.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

O Canada, you crack me up. You just want be a part of something so bad you little ankle biter you.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How so? Is Payton looking for a job or something? Who does he have to pay mouth service to in the NFL at the player level besides his own players?

Not that I care, I have my own opinions about Cutler.

You never know in the NFL who you will end up with and when. Name the last time any sitting NFL coach basically called out another player in an interview for sucking or not being any good. It doesn't happen. One of those "unwritten rules" of ethics or whatever when dealing with answering these questions.

I'd like to say I can't believe that I have to explain this to you....but this is CCS...where all of the reality of the world is shut out.

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
It would be nice if we could get some elite "people"
its all or nothing with folks nowadays, if you dont win 3 superbowls, have a certain QBR
you must be the worst QB in the world.
Bears fans bitching about Cutler would bitch about anyone who was the QB.
Frankly ive seen Jay do things on the field that no other Bears QB has done, and since he is not our GLARING weakness
I see no need to cut or trade him without a viable backup.
Some idiots here would probaby think that backup is Campbell or the "understated" Caleb Hanie.
But i just think people have a blind hatred for someone because of media opinion.
I like Jay , he needs to work on his leadership, but the kid can fling the ball, and make plays with his feet.
Sean Payton would have jay balling. Hopefully we have found our Sean Payton in Marc Trestman.