Pena Claimed By Yankees (Update: Pulled Back)

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs traded Pena...they could move Colvin to 1B, Byrd to RF and Jackson to CF. Then for the hell of it, call LaHair up as a Sep call-up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine said that the $10MM contract was being treated as a single contract whether deferred or not and thus the remainder of the contract would be 1/6th of the $10MM or about $1.6MM. So it doesn't make as much sense for the Cubs to just give him away anymore.

So that is two sources that are reporting that the Cubs would still be on the hook for the vast majority of Pena's salary. This again is confirming my hunch that the market for Pena was really small and team's weren't interested in parting with real talent to get him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If the Cubs traded Pena...they could move Colvin to 1B, Byrd to RF and Jackson to CF. Then for the hell of it, call LaHair up as a Sep call-up.

Good point, I'd rather trade Byrd though... I don't see Colvin a long-term 1B, but he has the potential to be a long-term solution in RF.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So that is two sources that are reporting that the Cubs would still be on the hook for the vast majority of Pena's salary. This again is confirming my hunch that the market for Pena was really small and team's weren't interested in parting with real talent to get him.

Yup...too good to be true. Oh well.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

Not quite so sure it's time to bring up Jackson. I'd almost rather let him continue at Iowa for the rest of the year, then play some winter ball in Mexico, DR, or Venezuela. Give him his shot to make the team in ST.

I'd rather have LaHair play 1B with a shot to see if he can do anything close to what he's done in the PCL the past three years.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Not quite so sure it's time to bring up Jackson. I'd almost rather let him continue at Iowa for the rest of the year, then play some winter ball in Mexico, DR, or Venezuela. Give him his shot to make the team in ST.

I'd rather have LaHair play 1B with a shot to see if he can do anything close to what he's done in the PCL the past three years.

:oprah:

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

You can do the Oprah shake all you want... but I watched some games from Iowa over the net when Colvin was there. LaHair doesn't have Colvin's speed or athleticism... but he's a better hitter... and already knows how to play the position.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
CarrieMuskatCarrie Muskat

by mlbtraderumors

Pena told #Cubs will pull him off waivers. Says he was flattered

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think they should start B-Jax's service clock yet (he's not even on the 40-man anyway) but there's no point in not letting LaHair get his licks in at this point. Yeah, they are trying to win ball games and all that, but since they have literally no shot of getting to the playoffs, they can sit Pena 2/3 of the time and let LaHair show what he can do above the AAAA level.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can do the Oprah shake all you want... but I watched some games from Iowa over the net when Colvin was there. LaHair doesn't have Colvin's speed or athleticism... but he's a better hitter... and already knows how to play the position.

A 28 year old playing at AAA for the 6th straight year looked better at hitting than a 25 year old playing at the level for the first time? Look LaHair has had a couple of nice years and I wouldn't mind giving him a cup of coffee as a nod to the other guys in the minors about hard work paying off. However, there is no reason we need to clear a space for him and there is no evidence to suggest he is going to be any better than another AAAA player like Hoffpauir.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
A 28 year old playing at AAA for the 6th straight year looked better at hitting than a 25 year old playing at the level for the first time? Look LaHair has had a couple of nice years and I wouldn't mind giving him a cup of coffee as a nod to the other guys in the minors about hard work paying off. However, there is no reason we need to clear a space for him and there is no evidence to suggest he is going to be any better than another AAAA player like Hoffpauir.

Hoffpauir, except with less versatility.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh that's right, LaHair isn't on the 40-man either. Although I think they could probably get rid of a couple shitty pitchers taking up room on the 40-man to see what laHair can do. Otherwise just tell him thanks after this season and let him go to Japan to fight ham.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BarryRoznerBarry Rozner
Cubs pull Carlos Pena back from waivers. How could they possibly let him go? They're not that far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love barry!

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

So, having near 28 year old (turns 28 in October) Esmailin Caridad on the 40-man roster despite having a disastrous year in Iowa is a better idea? Oh, I know... it's a good idea to keep Ortiz/Lopez around and not make room for LaHair by maybe cutting him and bringing up Carpenter again. Or, could it be non-prospect Justin Berg that's the better option? Hey maybe the worthless retread Montanez?

Sorry, but the argument to keep him off of the 40-man here is weak.... not when I can find a few guys on the roster that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sort of on the fence about whether Carlos Pena could bring back more than $1.6MM-ish of prospect value in a trade but I think they should've just let him go anyway. They could always try to re-sign him in the offseason if they really love him that much. Oh well.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Pena is probably your starting first basemen for sure. I think this is a very very good thing for the franchise.