Pena Claimed By Yankees (Update: Pulled Back)

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really dont understand why they dont try to get a spec for him. Even the national writers say it dont make sense. If they want him back next year he will be avaible. No way NYY resign him. So get spec and then if they dont want to spend big on Fielder (which would be a mistake) then go sign him. Again i dont want Pena back. Cubs need to spend big money at 1B or just go young. Signing these midlevel guys is just getting old.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The spec prolly won't make majors, as the Yanks aren't offering shit. That's one reason their holdign onto him, they won't get anything worth in return.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really dont understand why they dont try to get a spec for him. Even the national writers say it dont make sense. If they want him back next year he will be avaible. No way NYY resign him. So get spec and then if they dont want to spend big on Fielder (which would be a mistake) then go sign him. Again i dont want Pena back. Cubs need to spend big money at 1B or just go young. Signing these midlevel guys is just getting old.

Draft Pick > Prospects being offered.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He is a servicable player.

Whatever money is allocated should go right into the starting rotation.

Pena is the best move for the future of the franchise financially.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do realize they have to offer him a contract and there's a good chance he'll accept. But I wonder how the deferred one contract works in that case...

Why would he accept another one year contract? He signed this contract so that he could get another multi-year deal. There's a very very low chance that he would accept arby. He said when he signed with the Cubs that he was doing it to get his stock up.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would he accept another one year contract? He signed this contract so that he could get another multi-year deal. There's a very very low chance that he would accept arby. He said when he signed with the Cubs that he was doing it to get his stock up.

Yeah but I wouldn't be surprise if he did...I don't know if the Cubs wanna take the chance.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I won't argue that he is the best move for the future of the franchise financially, but that doesn't mean he is the right move. He just isn't that good and I really don't see the Cubs wanting to give C-Pain a multi-year deal.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but I wouldn't be surprise if he did...I don't know if the Cubs wanna take the chance.

There really isn't much chance there. He isn't going to want to accept another one-year deal. Plus, if it does go to Arby, we have quite a bit of leverage in offering him a low deal because of his low BA and he and his agent know that. There are several teams that need a 1B out there, he will be able to find a multi year deal

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pena seems pretty likely to reach Type B compensation so this does make a fair bit of sense. The Cubs could offer arbitration and do have a fairly low chance of him accepting. Type B doesn't hurt Pena since it doesn't cost the team signing him any of their picks. This really is the smart move the Cubs are making right now since they don't save any money and teams are clearly lowballing them. Take what you can get out of Pena and then offer arbitration. If he accepts getting him on another 1 year deal might actually be the best outcome for the Cubs because we need pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

I am tired of watching medicore players on the Cubs. They need to sign Fielder OR just need to go young. Signing guys like Pena who are just medicore players does NOTHING. Team needs to come out and say we are going young or we are going for it. None of this sign medicore player bullshit. Pena is nothing special at all. Low .200 avg, barely 80 RBI, maybe 25-27 HR.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pena seems pretty likely to reach Type B compensation so this does make a fair bit of sense. The Cubs could offer arbitration and do have a fairly low chance of him accepting. Type B doesn't hurt Pena since it doesn't cost the team signing him any of their picks. This really is the smart move the Cubs are making right now since they don't save any money and teams are clearly lowballing them. Take what you can get out of Pena and then offer arbitration. If he accepts getting him on another 1 year deal might actually be the best outcome for the Cubs because we need pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

Yes they need pitching but this FA class is HORRIBLE in SP. Wilson is not a guy you go overpay for. SO AGAIN go get the YOUNG SUPERSTAR STUD Fielder who will be good still in 2 years when he ONLY 30 and the team should be competing. Then NEXT YEAR FA CLASS SP IS STUDLY. Plus you will be losing Zambrano and Dempster contract. So signing a medicore 1B AGAIN is POINTLESS. Signing Fielder isnt just for next year but for the next 5-7 years. Fielder will still be in his PRIME in 2-3 years when Cubs should be competing. Wilson WILL NOT BE. People stop saying Pena is the best option for 1B cause he is NOT!!!! If they dont get Fielder then GO YOUNG. Its pointless to sign medicore guys just to be 15-20 games under .500.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am tired of watching medicore players on the Cubs. They need to sign Fielder OR just need to go young. Signing guys like Pena who are just medicore players does NOTHING. Team needs to come out and say we are going young or we are going for it. None of this sign medicore player bullshit. Pena is nothing special at all. Low .200 avg, barely 80 RBI, maybe 25-27 HR.

some moderation isnt bad

sure our offense isnt great,but i think what should be first fixed is the pitching rather than the offense...which frankly lineup wise isnt terrible

i hope we dump a contract,dump a pitcher,and maybe sign a good bat

too hard to ask?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
some moderation isnt bad

sure our offense isnt great,but i think what should be first fixed is the pitching rather than the offense...which frankly lineup wise isnt terrible

i hope we dump a contract,dump a pitcher,and maybe sign a good bat

too hard to ask?

Read this:

Yes they need pitching but this FA class is HORRIBLE in SP. Wilson is not a guy you go overpay for. SO AGAIN go get the YOUNG SUPERSTAR STUD Fielder who will be good still in 2 years when he ONLY 30 and the team should be competing. Then NEXT YEAR FA CLASS SP IS STUDLY. Plus you will be losing Zambrano and Dempster contract. So signing a medicore 1B AGAIN is POINTLESS. Signing Fielder isnt just for next year but for the next 5-7 years. Fielder will still be in his PRIME in 2-3 years when Cubs should be competing. Wilson WILL NOT BE. People stop saying Pena is the best option for 1B cause he is NOT!!!! If they dont get Fielder then GO YOUNG. Its pointless to sign medicore guys just to be 15-20 games under .500.