Pena Claimed By Yankees (Update: Pulled Back)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, having near 28 year old (turns 28 in October) Esmailin Caridad on the 40-man roster despite having a disastrous year in Iowa is a better idea? Oh, I know... it's a good idea to keep Ortiz/Lopez around and not make room for LaHair by maybe cutting him and bringing up Carpenter again. Or, could it be non-prospect Justin Berg that's the better option? Hey maybe the worthless retread Montanez?

Sorry, but the argument to keep him off of the 40-man here is weak.... not when I can find a few guys on the roster that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Where did you see me argue that we don't have dead weight on the 40 man roster? My argument is that there is no evidence to suggest that LaHair is any better than Fox, who had more success at younger age and fewer times repeating AAA, or Hoffpauir who had an eeriley similar career path to LaHair. My argument is that we learn virtually nothing about LaHair in a little over 30 games at the major league level. So what if he destroys major league pitching in September? Do you really think another GM would be stupid enough to trade anything of value for LaHair based upon his success at 28 playing at AAA for the sixth time and a month of ball in September. Or do you really think we ought to rely on a 28 year playing at AAA for the sixth time for a whole season when there are 3 proven options available in free agency?

The only thing bringing LaHair up and playing him every day for the rest of the season does is give a nod to guys toiling in the system that hard work and perservance is rewarded. Not a terrible thing to do, but you hardly gain much for doing it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
He is a long-term solution in RF? That's news to me and pretty much everyone.

Right, because Hoffpauir was a Super Utility guy. of course.

Key word: potential... that's why everyone wanted to get him starts, so we can see if he can be an MLB starter... except for the people who wanted Campana starting instead, of course.

herky

Liked Posts:
A guy that is 28 still has good time left in him and the Cubs are not going to find out if he has it by him playing in AAA, bring him up and give him the at bats', no matter if it is september or not he desrves a shot and god forbid if he actually could hit and save the team from going out and spending way to much money on Alberto or Princess.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
A guy that is 28 still has good time left in him and the Cubs are not going to find out if he has it by him playing in AAA, bring him up and give him the at bats', no matter if it is september or not he desrves a shot and god forbid if he actually could hit and save the team from going out and spending way to much money on Alberto or Princess.

Find me a guy that actually established himself as a regular major league player at age 28. It doesn't happen often if ever that a guy figures it out at the plate to go from uselss to even average major leaguer at that age. And even if he dvid play well in 30 games what does that prove. Many want to write Tyler Colvin off complegtely at this point and he had a solid 250 abs last season. We aren't going to learn enough about LaHair in 30 days to decide that they don't need an actual major league 1b.

AceCubbie

Liked Posts:
Find me a guy that actually established himself as a regular major league player at age 28. It doesn't happen often if ever that a guy figures it out at the plate to go from uselss to even average major leaguer at that age. And even if he dvid play well in 30 games what does that prove. Many want to write Tyler Colvin off complegtely at this point and he had a solid 250 abs last season. We aren't going to learn enough about LaHair in 30 days to decide that they don't need an actual major league 1b.

I am NOT saying Bryan LaHair is or should be an option (I totally agree with you), but I mention this as an interesting discussion piece:

Michael Morse was 28 when he finally broke out last year after years and years of bouncing back and forth between AA, AAA, and the bigs. Totally had the look of a AAAA player, and then, boom, stud.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay Michael Morse and Paul Lo Duca are the only guys I can find. I would say the odds of Brian LaHair being even an average major leaguer is about the same as the Cubs winning the division this year. Sure it is possible that it could happen but the odds are virtually zero. The problem is that LaHair would have to be given the job next year to really find out and if he falters. There is nothing internally to replace him with average 1B production in the system.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is a long-term solution in RF? That's news to me and pretty much everyone.

Right, because Hoffpauir was a Super Utility guy. of course.

131044014921.jpg

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what it feels like when I challenge JNTG.

szMAS.jpg

Of course after revealing this she doesn't actually fight me she gets Dewey to close the thread and say that CO derailed it but actually JNTG did himself bring up the derailing topic.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Pena is probably your starting first basemen for sure. I think this is a very very good thing for the franchise.

How can you possible know this? I think you're forgetting that WE HAVE NO GM YET. Whether we keep Pena is up to the new GM and I seriously doubt they will aim that low when trying to make a good first impression.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How can you possible know this? I think you're forgetting that WE HAVE NO GM YET. Whether we keep Pena is up to the new GM and I seriously doubt they will aim that low when trying to make a good first impression.
He didn't say anything about Pena being a 1B 100% no doubt about it.

Judging by Ricketts press conference last week, it doesn't appear he wants to spend much money.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He didn't say anything about Pena being a 1B 100% no doubt about it.

Judging by Ricketts press conference last week, it doesn't appear he wants to spend much money.

What at all from the press conference makes you think that?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What at all from the press conference makes you think that?
The statement that Ricketts made about him personally giving the go-ahead on a large contract.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Right, because there still isnt an owner who might want to keep Pena. ok. :rolleyes: Aiming low? Its the cubs!!!!! It is a franchise that any GM would want to take, they can put jeff baker there and GMs would still come flocking. wow!

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, because there still isnt an owner who might want to keep Pena. ok. :rolleyes: Aiming low? Its the cubs!!!!! It is a franchise that any GM would want to take, they can put jeff baker there and GMs would still come flocking. wow!

You obviously didn't hear the part where he said he was going to give the GM the freedom to do what he wanted then.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just watched the whole interview and he didn't say anything about that?

There was a ? asked to him about FA. He said they would have to be smart doing FA and if there was a big contract it would have to go through him. I take this as he wants to not spend money on FA