Pena Claimed By Yankees (Update: Pulled Back)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Wilson has bad idea written all over it.

Out of curiousity why? Any pitcher signed for more than 5 years is clearly a bad idea, but the market has seemed to correct itself after the Zito deal on that front. Do you think he is going to get too much per year because it really seems like Wilson might actually be undervalued in the current market because he doesn't have the big win total or the ace label.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Out of curiousity, d3a how many of those pitchers would you put ahead of CJ Wilson? Because I think I would put 3 on that list at most ahead of CJ Wilson. If the Cubs decided to go with Wilson this year, I would hope they would bring back Pena for several seasons. The choice isn't between Wilson and Huff versus Fielder and Cain as you seem to be painting it in this post.

It very well could be Fielder/Cain vs Wilson/Pena.

Yes its possible that Cain or Hamels resigns BUT over spending on Wilson is not smarter then just waiting. Fielder is by far a better player then Wilson + younger. So i get the better player and younger player. I would rather see Cubs sign Fielder then sign 1-2 SP on 1 year deals. Signing Wilson to 5 yr deal and then signing Pena to 1yr or 2yr deal to me is worse.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wells isnt a bad three.

maybe..if he wasnt such a mental variable and got his stuff under control

he's gotten worse every year..

i hope he gets better..but right now no way do i want him as our 3

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wells isnt a bad three.

Yes he is. He overperformed by a wide margin in his rookie campaign (and a huge increase in workload which I predicted before that season he would regress btw). The production last season was more fitting of a tweener 4/5 type than a 3, and I think I am optimistic in hoping for a return to that level of production.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't really say on here why I disagree with him but when/if I get on a computer I'll send you a few reasons.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Out of curiousity why? Any pitcher signed for more than 5 years is clearly a bad idea, but the market has seemed to correct itself after the Zito deal on that front. Do you think he is going to get too much per year because it really seems like Wilson might actually be undervalued in the current market because he doesn't have the big win total or the ace label.

I think Wilson will be overpaid big time cause he going to be the best SP on the market by a mile. CC will opt out but will be a NYY when they give him most money easily. Next is Wilson. Prolly 2nd best is E.Jax and we all know how people feel about him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It very well could be Fielder/Cain vs Wilson/Pena.

Yes its possible that Cain or Hamels resigns BUT over spending on Wilson is not smarter then just waiting. Fielder is by far a better player then Wilson + younger. So i get the better player and younger player. I would rather see Cubs sign Fielder then sign 1-2 SP on 1 year deals. Signing Wilson to 5 yr deal and then signing Pena to 1yr or 2yr deal to me is worse.

If Cain hit the open market the deal he would get would dwarf anything Wilson gets this year. I really think that the choice is between Fielder/and random pitcher like Edwin Jackson type level or staying with Pena and getting a difference maker level pitcher in Wilson. The rotation next season with Wilson actually isn't something you cringe about, but having Garza/Dempster 1-2 with Wells/Cashner/ and ? to back up is virtually guaranteeing a similar outcome to this season.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wells isnt a bad three.

Honestly on a playoff team Wells wouldnt even be a SP. He had 1 good year. He not that good last year and been horrible this year. He is a innings eater. For a bad team sure he does something for you. For a playoff team though he does nothing. Pitching 6 IP 5 ER every nite dont help you win ball games.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
maybe..if he wasnt such a mental variable and got his stuff under control

he's gotten worse every year..

i hope he gets better..but right now no way do i want him as our 3

4.12 era over his last seven games.

If he is healthy I'll gladly take him as a 3/4.

Quite simply Fielder+wells is better than Wilson+someone like oh I dont know derrek lee.

And honestly it's not even remotely close.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cain hit the open market the deal he would get would dwarf anything Wilson gets this year. I really think that the choice is between Fielder/and random pitcher like Edwin Jackson type level or staying with Pena and getting a difference maker level pitcher in Wilson. The rotation next season with Wilson actually isn't something you cringe about, but having Garza/Dempster 1-2 with Wells/Cashner/ and ? to back up is virtually guaranteeing a similar outcome to this season.

Fielder/Jackson is ALOT better then Wilson/Pena. Fielder puts up ALOT better numbers then Pena. Jackson still only 28 and has stuff to turn it around. Garza, Demp, Jackson, Wells, Cashner is a rotation that would be decent. A lineup with Fielder over Pena would BE TONS BETTER. While SP Wilson over Jackson would just be slighlty better.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly it comes down to

Fielder 28 y/o = SUPERSTAR

Wilson 31 y/o = number 2 SP

So the SUPERSTAR wins in my book.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly on a playoff team Wells wouldnt even be a SP. He had 1 good year. He not that good last year and been horrible this year. He is a innings eater. For a bad team sure he does something for you. For a playoff team though he does nothing. Pitching 6 IP 5 ER every nite dont help you win ball games.

Average last year, and now that his velocity is back some he's got a 4.12 era over his last 7 games which isn't bad from a backend guy.

You guys act like Wells is Jo Jo Reyes or something.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fielder/Jackson is ALOT better then Wilson/Pena. Fielder puts up ALOT better numbers then Pena. Jackson still only 28 and has stuff to turn it around. Garza, Demp, Jackson, Wells, Cashner is a rotation that would be decent. A lineup with Fielder over Pena would BE TONS BETTER. While SP Wilson over Jackson would just be slighlty better.

Please tell me you don't mean Edwin Jackson?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Honestly it comes down to

Fielder 28 y/o = SUPERSTAR

Wilson 31 y/o = number 2 SP

So the SUPERSTAR wins in my book.
Well yeah, but Fielder is a pipedream, really Wilson is too.

It all comes down to the money and what needs the Cubs value the most.

Pena is a safer bet to come back.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys so underrated CJ Wilson when you call him a number 2. He is better than Matt Garza. They are both tweener 1/2 starters, and having two of them almost makes up for lacking a true number 1. Still waiting to hear from D3A on how many of all those potentially available SP next year are better than Wilson because I think 3 is the absolute most anyone can claim.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please tell me you don't mean Edwin Jackson?

I do...Fielder/Jackson duo better then Wilson/Pena

Im not saying Jackson a number 1 type guy but wold be a good number 3....So you get a SUPERSTAR 1B in Fielder and sign a number 3 in Jackson and then in 2013 FA class u sign an ACE....Rather then sign Wilson who is a number 2 in my opinion and resign Pena who is medicore at best. Then you have to resign Pena in 2013 cause the FA class is HORRIBLE for 1B To me Fielder/Jackson duo makes ALOT more sense then Wilson/Pena