Pena Claimed By Yankees (Update: Pulled Back)

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I do...Fielder/Jackson duo better then Wilson/Pena

Im not saying Jackson a number 1 type guy but wold be a good number 3....So you get a SUPERSTAR 1B in Fielder and sign a number 3 in Jackson and then in 2013 FA class u sign an ACE....Rather then sign Wilson who is a number 2 in my opinion and resign Pena who is medicore at best. Then you have to resign Pena in 2013 cause the FA class is HORRIBLE for 1B To me Fielder/Jackson duo makes ALOT more sense then Wilson/Pena
pipe_dream_02.png

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys so underrated CJ Wilson when you call him a number 2. He is better than Matt Garza. They are both tweener 1/2 starters, and having two of them almost makes up for lacking a true number 1. Still waiting to hear from D3A on how many of all those potentially available SP next year are better than Wilson because I think 3 is the absolute most anyone can claim.

I think 3 of them also. How many 1B better then Fielder over next 2 FA class? 0. So i take my chance on getting Fielder and hoping 1 of those 3 avaible in 2013 FA class then overpaying for Wilson and resigning Pena. Stat of day. Cubs are 20 games over .500 when they score 4+ runs. So imagine how many more games they win this year if they had Fielder over Pena. Pena not even 60 RBI while Fielder over 100. Thats 40 more runs. How many times have we seen Pean K with guys on base. TONS

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
4.12 era over his last seven games.

If he is healthy I'll gladly take him as a 3/4.

sample size...i think he's a solid starter..but at the back end..i.e. 4 or 5...we need a third pitcher to complement demp and garza...

Quite simply Fielder+wells is better than Wilson+someone like oh I dont know derrek lee.

And honestly it's not even remotely close.

the point is not what YOU prefer...its the availability or the chances of each scenario

question is which scenario is more likely?

and signing derrek lee? again? what?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well yeah, but Fielder is a pipedream, really Wilson is too.

It all comes down to the money and what needs the Cubs value the most.

Pena is a safer bet to come back.

Again why even bring Pena back? If they dont get Fielder whats the point of bringing back a guy who is on a bad baseball team. Might as well go young

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again why even bring Pena back? If they dont get Fielder whats the point of bringing back a guy who is on a bad baseball team. Might as well go young

You honestly want Bryan LaHair starting??

rogers_magnum.jpg

Bryan Lahair 2014 World Series MVP

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
All honestly guys i dont see Cubs signing Fielder either. Reason is cause they gave there 2nd RD pick a 1B 2.5 mil. You dont give a prospect 2.5 mil then fill his position for the next 7 years. I just dont want to see Pena back. .200 hitter with 25 HR 70 HR doesnt do it for me. Rather them GO YOUNG. Either get the superstar or go young. None of this half ass bullshit to try and make it seem like they going for it when we all know they are not.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
GM have to think about the future. Just cant think about 1 year. So Fielder makes more sense then Wilson for next year and for the next 5-7 years.
Well yeah, but your making all these claims on how the Cubs are going to spend money, when it might not even be spent to begin with, and that the other 29 teams want to get better, not help the Cubs.

I feel like I'm talking to Bulls fans about not acquiring Dwight Howard.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You honestly want Bryan LaHair starting??

rogers_magnum.jpg

Bryan Lahair 2014 World Series MVP

Does Pena make the team that much better? So lets say Lahair was the starting 1B this year. So you lose 97 instead of 90. Honestly i would start Vitters at 1B if they dont get Fielder.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well yeah, but your making all these claims on how the Cubs are going to spend money, when it might not even be spent to begin with, and that the other 29 teams want to get better, not help the Cubs.

All honestly guys i dont see Cubs signing Fielder either. Reason is cause they gave there 2nd RD pick a 1B 2.5 mil. You dont give a prospect 2.5 mil then fill his position for the next 7 years. I just dont want to see Pena back. .200 hitter with 25 HR 70 HR doesnt do it for me. Rather them GO YOUNG. Either get the superstar or go young. None of this half ass bullshit to try and make it seem like they going for it when we all know they are not.

PS: Thanks for the great conversation guys. I like when we can all state our opinion and no one gets mad :)

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Then don't make it sound like Fielder and Cain are sure bets to come here.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well I definitely disagree with this.

I mean they just drafted a SS first. Does that mean Castro isn't in te future plans?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think 3 of them also. How many 1B better then Fielder over next 2 FA class? 0. So i take my chance on getting Fielder and hoping 1 of those 3 avaible in 2013 FA class then overpaying for Wilson and resigning Pena. Stat of day. Cubs are 20 games over .500 when they score 4+ runs. So imagine how many more games they win this year if they had Fielder over Pena. Pena not even 60 RBI while Fielder over 100. Thats 40 more runs. How many times have we seen Pean K with guys on base. TONS

What don't we get about the fact that Cubs offense is middle of the pack in just about every category yet is nearly dead last in every pitching category? Why do people think that things will magically get better if it is left alone because signing Fielder this year pretty much means you are leaving everything else alone.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

PS: Thanks for the great conversation guys. I like when we can all state our opinion and no one gets mad :)
:obama:

Why do you post the same thing twice? :elephant:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I definitely disagree with this.

I mean they just drafted a SS first. Does that mean Castro isn't in te future plans?

All the talks are that Baez is going to be a 3B.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
What don't we get about the fact that Cubs offense is middle of the pack in just about every category yet is nearly dead last in every pitching category? Why do people think that things will magically get better if it is left alone because signing Fielder this year pretty much means you are leaving everything else alone.

I get the Cubs SP sucks this year. I understand that. Im saying that Wilson dont take them from being one of the worst to being a top SP staff. So signing Fielder takes them from being middle to being maybe one of the top offense. Then they can sign some guys to SP to 1 yr deals. Im also thinking of the future. Fielder makes more sense 2-3 years down the road then Wilson does

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get the Cubs SP sucks this year. I understand that. Im saying that Wilson dont take them from being one of the worst to being a top SP staff. So signing Fielder takes them from being middle to being maybe one of the top offense. Then they can sign some guys to SP to 1 yr deals. Im also thinking of the future. Fielder makes more sense 2-3 years down the road then Wilson does
Sign Edwin Jackson, still a 4 starter. I really would rather see pitching improve over the offense. Not that I wouldn't like both, but I'm trying to be realistic about it.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

And others are making all these claims that the cubs won't spend money when there is no proof they want.

It's a message board. This is isn't the thread to discuss the financials of next year.