Pena Claimed By Yankees (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Pena was claimed by unknown team. trade is possible.
Thoughts?

marky mark

Liked Posts:
woah, thats cool to get some value for him

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a hard time believing a deal happens, but it would be good if we get actual value back. Hard to believe though that a team that is actually in the race claimed him given the 1B production they have.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have already read Cubs plan on pulling back. Again with only 50 something games left why not save 6 mil? They can just let the team have him and the claiming team HAS TO PAY rest of his contract. So they wont get any players back but to save 6 mil and only pay him 4 mil for 5 months of service to me is well done

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that is the question? Does the claiming team have to pay the deferred salary or not? Because if they don't have to pay the entire deferred salary than the savings are pretty low.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that is the question? Does the claiming team have to pay the deferred salary or not? Because if they don't have to pay the entire deferred salary than the savings are pretty low.

Thats a good point. I never really thought about the deferred money. I just thought team would take on contract no matter what the deal is. Just like i said earlier CHW had to take Rios whole contract cause they claimed and TOR said see you later.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will all depend on the trade...if the Cubs pay the deferred money, they'll get more in return, if the other team does, the Cubs will get shit in return.

But it's very highly unlikely the Cubs will deal him.

Also, if Ari claimed Pena (because there's a need), the Giants coulda blocked them and then a deal won't be made for sure.

We never know.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, didn't see that coming. He would play DH... The Cubs could actually make a good deal with the Yanks.

But I just don't see it happening from what I've heard/read.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats a good point. I never really thought about the deferred money. I just thought team would take on contract no matter what the deal is. Just like i said earlier CHW had to take Rios whole contract cause they claimed and TOR said see you later.
I understand that they get the contract, but deferred money might be different because it is money that is owed for services already rendered. So would the team that he provided those services to be the one that has to pay the deferred money or not. I seem to recall that was an issue with Griffey that no team wanted him because of the deferred money but I can't remember if the team that claimed him had to pay all of it or not.
It will all depend on the trade...if the Cubs pay the deferred money, they'll get more in return, if the other team does, the Cubs will get shit in return.

But it's very highly unlikely the Cubs will deal him.

Also, if Ari claimed Pena (because there's a need), the Giants coulda blocked them and then a deal won't be made for sure.

We never know.
Given Aubrey Huff's production at 1B I would almost believe the Giants would be more likely to need Pena than the Diamondbacks.

Yanks claimed him
Interesting. I wonder if they were thinking DH, and if they would part with anything to get him. Certainly wasn't out of fear of him going to Boston with their 1B/DH production.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Cubs would still be on the hook for the portion of the 5 million payment that was owed for his services from April to August. So the savings on Pena would be a couple million at the most. Again it only makes sense to deal him if you get something.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Yankees were the team to get waiver claim on Carlos Pena; they had asked about him before the trade deadline.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs and Yanks may have talked about a trade (before deadline). So..maybe they won't give anything up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since there appears to be no huge savings by letting the claiming team have, it would seem likely that the Cubs ought to keep him. I know that is unpopular, but it doesn't make sense to let him go for nothing.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken rosenthal still hears the Cubs are reluctant to trade him.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Like Onley speculates, the Yanks have Tex so they won't re-sign him. Trade him for spect(s) and then can still re-sign him if no big time FA 1B.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Buster Olney: It's very possible the Cubs and Yanks don't work out a deal, but it's clear the Yanks want him.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Since there appears to be no huge savings by letting the claiming team have, it would seem likely that the Cubs ought to keep him. I know that is unpopular, but it doesn't make sense to let him go for nothing.

or atleast if we let him go for nothing..it be in the offseason..

he can be a contributor on the team for the rest of the season and then we can kick him to the curb:yeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.