Pena Claimed By Yankees (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
they have to have a plan in place. doing things on the fly wont work anymore, or what i call patching tires that cant be patched anymore.

Pitching pitching pitching is what the cubs need. cashner and wells are not to be relied on.

i agree with this ..having jump demp and garza upfront and then a relatively incompetent back of the rotation and a maybe-adequate pen wont cut it

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
A rotation of Demp Garza Cash (if healthy) Floyd and a FA signing ain't bad.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I'll be fine with Pena at 1B...but the Cubs better get a OF, 2B, 3B and a SP. All 4 of those can be made in better pursuit that signing a big time 1B (Albert or Fielder).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
A rotation of Demp Garza Cash (if healthy) Floyd and a FA signing ain't bad.
Depends on who the free agent signing is, but counting on Cashner to be healthy for a whole year is a terrible idea because even if he is that results long term will be bad.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
carlos pena is your best option if you want to distribute allocated funds in other areas such as pitching etc. Forget the cubs not affording fielder for one second, lets say they get fielder (wont happen) but lets say they do. That doesnt make them an instant contender for the division next year.

Sign Pena and build pitching.

Signing Pena and building pitching doesn't make them instant contenders either. Fielder is the better option for the long term. I am really thinking that it's going to go down something like this:

Cubs sign new GM.
New GM gets Fielder.
Cubs make JH look stupid.
JH eats a donut.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Signing Pena and building pitching doesn't make them instant contenders either. Fielder is the better option for the long term. I am really thinking that it's going to go down something like this:

Cubs sign new GM.
New GM gets Fielder.
Cubs make JH look stupid.
JH eats a donut.

even if we get fielder, i still feel that our pitching needs to be addressed

would i take fielder over pena and a pitching prospect? arguably yes..

the question is which scenario is more convenient financially, and overall more likely

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
even if we get fielder, i still feel that our pitching needs to be addressed

would i take fielder over pena and a pitching prospect? arguably yes..

the question is which scenario is more convenient financially, and overall more likely

I don't want to see this team spend on pitching this year, though. There is too much pitching out there in the next offseason. I would like to see something like

Garza
Dempster
FA Pitcher, perhaps Floyd
Wells
Cashner/McNutt

This way we can still go out and get a big time pitcher next offseason and we can also give the youngin's a chance.

Plus, look at the 1B talent out there. Fielder is our only hope for the next few years.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again to just continue on with my thought that the main reason that Pena is here is because teams aren't offering anything for him. The Yankees winning the claim on him means that every team except Boston passed on him to allow the Yankees to claim him (and with the Red Sox combo of Gonzalez/Ortiz at 1B/DH I have a hard time believing they claimed him). Money wasn't an issue because Rosenthal already reported that the Cubs are on the hook for the vast majority deferred money no matter what they do. There just wasn't a market for Pena this season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want to see this team spend on pitching this year, though. There is too much pitching out there in the next offseason. I would like to see something like

Garza
Dempster
Wells
Cashner/McNutt

This way we can still go out and get a big time pitcher next offseason and we can also give the youngin's a chance.

Plus, look at the 1B talent out there. Fielder is our only hope for the next few years.

One of the big names that was supposed to be available in 2012 has already resigned. More are likely to do that. The 2012 free agent class of pitchers is just as likely to be as poor as this year's class as it is to be a bonzana of readily available aces.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Garza
Dempster
Cashner
McNutt

fify, bye Wells.

EDIT:
Oh, you meant NEXT season... keep Wells then, but drop McNutt, he won't be ready yet when next season starts.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Isn't Wainwright a FA? He might not ask for too much after that injury...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I've accepted the fact the Cubs won't be instant contenders in 2012. I'm waiting for 2013-14.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of the big names that was supposed to be available in 2012 has already resigned. More are likely to do that. The 2012 free agent class of pitchers is just as likely to be as poor as this year's class as it is to be a bonzana of readily available aces.

I disagree. I don't think that there will be one really good pitcher, some good pitchers, then everyone else. There is almost certainly going to be at least one ace available. The odds are in favor of that. I see what you are saying, but I disagree, I mean, literally every ace would have to resign. But you know that at least one of those ace's or near ace's will want a huge payday.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Garza
Dempster
Wells
Cashner/McNutt

so you do agree with me then..that this team needs help pitching wise..wells is still iffy and idk if cash will be healthy for a season..mcnutt seems promising atleast

thing is....i dont mind going after

but im not so sure on our chances with him....he'll be a big market commodity in the offseason and there will be plenty of good competition for him atleast imo

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
fify, bye Wells.

EDIT:
Oh, you meant NEXT season... keep Wells then, but drop McNutt, he won't be ready yet when next season starts.

If you think Cashner will be able to pitch a full season, you're nuts. If we can get 100 IP out of Cashner, I'll be more than happy. Then I'd give the rest to McNutt. He and JJax should be the guys who are waiting in AAA when whoever gets injured. But that Cubs don't seem to see much in JJax.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If you think Cashner will be able to pitch a full season, you're nuts. If we can get 100 IP out of Cashner, I'll be more than happy. Then I'd give the rest to McNutt. He and JJax should be the guys who are waiting in AAA when whoever gets injured. But that Cubs don't seem to see much in JJax.

I thought you meant picking between Cashner and McNutt, not having Cash go an then shutting him down, sorry.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so you do agree with me then..that this team needs help pitching wise..wells is still iffy and idk if cash will be healthy for a season..mcnutt seems promising atleast

thing is....i dont mind going after

but im not so sure on our chances with him....he'll be a big market commodity in the offseason and there will be plenty of good competition for him atleast imo

I don't see the market being that big for him. Who really needs a 1B? Dodgers and Mets are almost certainly out due to MLB. Detroit has Miggy, although they could use one at DH, I suppose. Maybe NYY for DH. I just don't see a huge market for him. However, if NYY gets in on it, it could be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.