Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yeah but who is feeding Rosenthal that information. My guess is it is coming from the Yankees side, which again begs my earlier question.
Beggars can't be choosers Dabs. :dealwithit::talktohand::admin:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but who is feeding Rosenthal that information. My guess is it is coming from the Yankees side, which again begs my earlier question.

He's hearing the Cubs don't want to trade him...so he could be hearing it from either side. IDK.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's hearing the Cubs don't want to trade him...so he could be hearing it from either side. IDK.

Look I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but hearing that a team isn't anxious to trade a guy doesn't mean that they are planning to keep him. It could be coming from the side that is trying to acquire the guy and after the other team rejects their lowball offers they come to Rosenthal and say, "gee they just aren't that anxious to part with him."

We don't know everything that is going on, and I stand by what I said before unless the Cubs are offered a legitimate prospect they shouldn't deal Pena since they aren't saving any real money by letting him go now.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Look I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but hearing that a team isn't anxious to trade a guy doesn't mean that they are planning to keep him. It could be coming from the side that is trying to acquire the guy and after the other team rejects their lowball offers they come to Rosenthal and say, "gee they just aren't that anxious to part with him."

We don't know everything that is going on, and I stand by what I said before unless the Cubs are offered a legitimate prospect they shouldn't deal Pena since they aren't saving any real money by letting him go now.

Yeah you are lol.

If the Cubs can save $6M going forward, they should. :elephant:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:

Me either. I think I'm just confuse on what your sayin'.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs dont want to trade Pena, or dont trade Pena....he will be your starting 1bmn next year....write that down.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs dont want to trade Pena, or dont trade Pena....he will be your starting 1bmn next year....write that down.

That's no more of a given than signing Poo holes or Prince...but I honestly wouldn't hate the move, depending on the pieces we added in addition to retaining C-Pain

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's no more of a given than signing Poo holes or Prince...but I honestly wouldn't hate the move, depending on the pieces we added in addition to retaining C-Pain

carlos pena is your best option if you want to distribute allocated funds in other areas such as pitching etc. Forget the cubs not affording fielder for one second, lets say they get fielder (wont happen) but lets say they do. That doesnt make them an instant contender for the division next year.

Sign Pena and build pitching.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah you are lol.

If the Cubs can save $6M going forward, they should. :elephant:
But we aren't going to save $6M. A pretty reliable source has already reported that the Cubs would owe the majority of the deferred payment even if they let him go on waivers. The Cubs get nothing by letting Pena go on waivers at this point.
Me either. I think I'm just confuse on what your sayin'.
I am just disputing this idea that the Cubs are denying any trades of Carlos Pena. The Cubs apparently listened to offers from Pittsburgh, New York, and Arizona (can't remember for sure if there were actual conversations or not). The Cubs placed Pena on waivers. I think they are open to the possibility of trading him. I think teams are looking to get Pena for nothing (e.g. Derrek Lee trade), and the Cubs are reluctant to part with him for one crappy prospect in the low minors. I could be wrong, but there is as much evidence for my case as the opposite.

You could be right. I dispute that the Cubs are uninterested in moving Pena, but I have been saying for a while I would rather the Cubs spend on pitching than hitting.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
carlos pena is your best option if you want to distribute allocated funds in other areas such as pitching etc. Forget the cubs not affording fielder for one second, lets say they get fielder (wont happen) but lets say they do. That doesnt make them an instant contender for the division next year.

Sign Pena and build pitching.

I think we're in agreement. You were more detailed than me, but that's essentially what i was getting at.

Either way is a winning step tho...depends on how much faith we have in the young guys (Barney @ 2nd, Colvin in RF, Cashner @ SP, etc). If we're going w/ the youth, I'm fine w/ bringing in a big name 1b. If we're not going w/ youth...Keep Pena and sign guys in the spots I mentioned....+ maybe 3b depending on what Ramirez does. Either way, just develop an actual plan, pls

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we're in agreement. You were more detailed than me, but that's essentially what i was getting at.

Either way is a winning step tho...depends on how much faith we have in the young guys (Barney @ 2nd, Colvin in RF, Cashner @ SP, etc). If we're going w/ the youth, I'm fine w/ bringing in a big name 1b. If we're not going w/ youth...Keep Pena and sign guys in the spots I mentioned....+ maybe 3b depending on what Ramirez does. Either way, just develop an actual plan, pls

they have to have a plan in place. doing things on the fly wont work anymore, or what i call patching tires that cant be patched anymore.

Pitching pitching pitching is what the cubs need. cashner and wells are not to be relied on.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
CarrieMuskatCarrie Muskat

by mlbtraderumors

#Cubs Pena may have been claimed but he's not going anywhere.

18 minutes agoFavoriteRetweetReply

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again that could be as much about what teams are offering for Pena as the Cubs wanting to keep him as a fallback (which makes zero sense since they only advantage they have to retain Pena is during the exclusive negotiating window before free agency starts, but they won't sign him then if they are interested in going after Pujols and Fielder).

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
pena will be the starting 2012 first baseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.