PJ Released

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's the opportunity cost? Is it your money? The only reason you should care is if it prevents us from making another move, which it won't, cause we're flush with cap space.
good narative, why do youhomers throw it out the window during free agency

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Mitch didn't get much help so his overall development was hampered on one and on the other he didn't have enough raw talent.
Yeah, buying the 2nd best WR1 in the history of this franchise who gave the 2nd best statistical season to Brandon Marshall's 2012 season in the 103 year existence of the franchise at the WR position, at 25 years old, in his prime is "not getting much help so his development was hampered?"

Not having enough raw talent wasn't Mitch's problem. Mitch could chuck a deep ball, he could also use his legs to gain yards/make RPO annoying for defenses. Identifying the open guy/correct read after the 1st read not being there was his problem that he never wanted to fix.

Maybe put the paint canister down and give what's left of your brain cells a break...

Nelly

Liked Posts:
good narative, why do youhomers throw it out the window during free agency
You'll have to expand on that. I've been the one applauding Poles' measured approach to free agency rather than just signing a bunch of guys to overpriced contracts.

Edit to add: I was one who didn't want Ngakoue so the young guys could get more run.

Last edited:

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, buying the 2nd best WR1 in the history of this franchise who gave the 2nd best statistical season to Brandon Marshall's 2012 season in the 103 year existence of the franchise at the WR position, at 25 years old, in his prime is "not getting much help so his development was hampered?"

Not having enough raw talent wasn't Mitch's problem. Mitch could chuck a deep ball, he could also use his legs to gain yards/make RPO annoying for defenses. Identifying the open guy/correct read after the 1st read not being there was his problem that he never wanted to fix.

Maybe put the paint canister down and give what's left of your brain cells a break...
"They didn't hire me to run the I formation."

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Dead cap only impacts this season, right? So we're just eating the rest of their guaranteed money this season and will have that money freed up next year from how I understand it.
Not neccessarily for cuts made after June 6th (like we obviously are now) - it depends on the contract structure but some money may be moved to the 2024 cap. For this example, Pj walker is 1.5M on 2023 cap and then 500k on 2024, but Leatherwoods hit is all in 2023. There is more to consider than just the dead money though, for Walker's situation the Bears effectively had the choice of keeping him on the roster and spending $4M on him over 2 years and having the player, or cutting him for $2m over 2 years and getting a roster spot back to use on another player. We'll more or less know who the Bears use that roster spot on by season start, but its probably going to be "would you rather have a shitty QB3 or a less shitty but still not good OL depth piece".

For me this move is a no brainer, Bears move on from a failed gamble (Walker) and probably replace the roster spot with someone who makes less than what the Bears save versus keeping Walker on the roster. It would have been nice to not sign Walker in the first place to the contract he got but overpay on pennies while getting a deal on your dollars is a sustainable way to build a team.

Last edited:

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
I thought the whole reason we signed PJ was because he got a high recommendation from DJ? Poles took that insight and ran with it.

If anything, blame DJ.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Mitch was best when it was schoolyard and Nagy plus hits even took that away from him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought the whole reason we signed PJ was because he got a high recommendation from DJ? Poles took that insight and ran with it.

If anything, blame DJ.
You gotta cut DJ some slack. What could he know about a good QB?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not neccessarily for cuts made after June 6th (like we obviously are now) - it depends on the contract structure but some money may be moved to the 2024 cap. For this example, Pj walker is 1.5M on 2023 cap and then 500k on 2024, but Leatherwoods hit is all in 2023. There is more to consider than just the dead money though, for Walker's situation the Bears effectively had the choice of keeping him on the roster and spending $4M on him over 2 years and having the player, or cutting him for $2m over 2 years and getting a roster spot back to use on another player. We'll more or less know who the Bears use that roster spot on by season start, but its probably going to be "would you rather have a shitty QB3 or a less shitty but still not good OL depth piece".

For me this move is a no brainer, Bears move on from a failed gamble (Walker) and probably replace the roster spot with someone who makes less than what the Bears save versus keeping Walker on the roster. It would have been nice to not sign Walker in the first place to the contract he got but overpay on pennies while getting a deal on your dollars is a sustainable way to build a team.
I believe the hit is over 2 years unless Poles chooses to accelerate it.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I believe the hit is over 2 years unless Poles chooses to accelerate it.
Which hit i mention 2 different players - both are accurate to what Spotrac says although idk if SPotrac is accurate.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mitch was best when it was schoolyard and Nagy plus hits even took that away from him.
It seems he turned into a different dude once Harrison Smith laid the wood on him late in 2018. He became very hesitant after that.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I'm not trying to argue with anyone on this topic. At the end of the day its only 2M which on a team like this wont make or break putting them over the top or not. But if we're going to be honest, there are posters here who found reasoning in Poles not spending an extra million a year on a starting OL because "sustained success and stuffs" but when 2M is flushed down the toilet on a backup QB who doesnt even make the 53 its not a big deal.

Oh well, Poles is still perfect and all of his decisions are the right ones!
I was thinking this same thing about a player that people said would’ve been worth at 20 mill but not at 23 or something alone these lines ?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
$2m is less than 1% of the cap. I have bigger issues with Cody's cap hit for a guy that isn't the strongest people mover. Holds up pretty well in pass pro. While many on this board feel he plays better at G, I still prefer him at center. Hope his hand is better by the time Jenkins returns. While I don't like his snaps, I like the rest of the way Cody does C.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He competed well as a rookie and eventually took over as the starter. Then played pretty decent in year two. Mitch didn't get much help so his overall development was hampered on one and on the other he didn't have enough raw talent.

Justin Fields just doesn't have the IT factor or natural feel for the position. Bagent has a natural feel and awareness in the pocket. He trusts his fundamentals in the pocket because he's always been a footwork natural in the pocket passer.

Justin Fields is the least natural pocket passer I've seen in a long time. It doesn't mean that Justin Fields isn't extremely talented but he just doesn't have the instincts in the pocket that Bagent has. It doesn't mean that I think Bagent will be better than Justin Fields over the long term. It's just one massively important thing that Justin Fields will probably never develop because it's not something you can develop in a player.

There are just certain things that can't be coached even with reps. Justin Fields has ZERO comfort in the pocket even when the protection holds up he still doesn't trust what's happening around him or what he's seeing down the field. Sometimes you can't coach confidence.

Bagent probably lacks in overall talent and other skills combined to never be good enough.
Caleb Williams looks a lot like Fields to me where they want to do too much outside the system and the structure and the NFL rarely let's you operate outside the structure and timing of the West Coast offense and the timing of the West Coast passing that is a part of ever offense in the NFL even it's not by the book.

Justin Fields makes great plays off script but the offense can't be consistent enough if he's spending the majority of his time trying to go off script.

Not every team operates outta the WCO. We don't