Pre-season Everything Thread

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Personally going forward Toews needs his own line, Kane his own, and Dach is own.

Something like

Kubalik Toews Kurashev

Cat Johnson Kaner

Hagel Dach Gaudette/Borgstrom

4th line could be

Kharia Entwislte Gaudette/Borgstrom

Nylander to the A and Strome as the 13th or traded

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don’t think this new rule helps anybody but guys who have experience parking their fat asses in front of the crease.

Tim Kerr would have potted 80 with this rule. The guy is basically a cripple from taking so many shots to the body during his peak. He maxed out at what, 58 one year? Yeah he surely would have changed the history books if he had this luxury. We need this type of player, useless unless it’s on the power play screening a goalie with the end result being success. I could live with that.

Connolly waived. Good riddance. Hopefully Strome and Nylander follow him either out of town or down to that cesspool called Rockford. (I lived there, it’s the worlds biggest crack trap house and the only town I know that stinks of mold, empty 40 oz beers, and link cards in its downtown district. Hell, even the downtown bars are disgusting. I was playing a slot once and behind the machine there were roaches crawling up the wall. I shot up out my chair and some fucking buffoon ran to sit down and I had two bucks left to lose. And did I mention the roundabouts? The mayors idea of traffic control was building roundabouts. I shit you not. Don’t fix the roads, make roundabouts)

Woah, was possessed by the spirit of the Link Card Demon there.

I think Entwhistle makes this team for no other reason then to be the guy who goes down when Nylanders rehab stint is over.
Entwhistle needs to grab this opportunity by the pubes. He’s been awesome and effective and can be that physical fourth liner to compliment JarJar and carp. I like Gaudettes game even more and think he could be great on a third line with Dach and Hagel. Hagel gets it, Dach passes it, and Gaudette finishes it. Sign me up.

As for the PK, I think it’s coaching. Murphy and McCabe shouldn’t have been out there on that last goal after spending 45 seconds on the ice the previous shift. That’s lazy coaching. Colonton just doesn’t understand nobody is buying into his scheme, and many have been saying this from his first year.

There’s a video on Twitter of Toews breaking shit down to his team mates from last game. That’s all I need to know who ppl listen to.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Snipped to address specific point: I don't disagree, but this is going to be all but impossible for any D-man to move a player from a stand-still. The new rule is really tying the d-mens' hands behind their backs. Without any momentum, they can't eliminate an opposing player in front of the net without the cross-check, so their only option is to tie up the stick. This new rule essentially allows offenses to simply post-up in front of the net at all times now with zero consequences. Even if a D-man tries to shoulder an offensive player away from the net, it won't be hard for the offensive player to simply spin off and regain his ground.

I understand your point about some goalies wanting to deal with the opposition themselves as opposed to being screened by their own defender, but to me, that's not a viable option. Leaving a man completely uncovered near the crease is just not an option; you're going to need a defender on him in some way, shape, or form.

True, De Haan's looked better than last year, if that's saying much. Did he say he played the majority of last year with a broken leg? That's impossible. It probably wasn't as serious as that. Anyways, I've really liked McCabe so far, he hasn't been perfect, but he's been the best D-man in the preseason so far in my view.
I think the best we could hope for is a size mismatch, like the defender cleanly outweighing the guy to move him. if not, I agree with you. With respect to the goalies though there are some goalie who would prefer looking around a lone screener than trying to look around two separate bodies in front of them.

Plus, we can't forget some of the goalies might go full on Belfour, Cloutier, Emery, or even Hextall in terms of clearing their own crease. Truth being told, I'm kinda hoping for that, but I'm bloodthirsty that way.

If DeHaan had something like a minute hairline fracture, it might be possible he "played with a broken leg" but in that instance I think it would have been an epic fail on him, the coaching/team doctors, or all of the above. There would have been no logical reason whatsoever to *need* to ice DeHaan if he wasn't 100%, and it's not like he had stats to pad. Maybe you give him enough to expose him for expansion but really, the 'hawks were going nowhere last season--depleted lineup, aging core and 3 rookie goalies--we weren't winning anything. Let the guys who were injured heal up.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I think the best we could hope for is a size mismatch, like the defender cleanly outweighing the guy to move him. if not, I agree with you. With respect to the goalies though there are some goalie who would prefer looking around a lone screener than trying to look around two separate bodies in front of them.

Plus, we can't forget some of the goalies might go full on Belfour, Cloutier, Emery, or even Hextall in terms of clearing their own crease. Truth being told, I'm kinda hoping for that, but I'm bloodthirsty that way.

If DeHaan had something like a minute hairline fracture, it might be possible he "played with a broken leg" but in that instance I think it would have been an epic fail on him, the coaching/team doctors, or all of the above. There would have been no logical reason whatsoever to *need* to ice DeHaan if he wasn't 100%, and it's not like he had stats to pad. Maybe you give him enough to expose him for expansion but really, the 'hawks were going nowhere last season--depleted lineup, aging core and 3 rookie goalies--we weren't winning anything. Let the guys who were injured heal up.
I’m not believing that CDH broken leg scam one bit. This is a guy that perpetually injured every year yet one year he plays with a broken leg? Not buying it.

And I don’t want to hear how he didn’t feel it when he was skating. The guy took his many half a years off over his shoulder then suddenly channeled his inner Mick Foley and plays thru a broken leg? Think of the friggin lawsuit this guy would win if he suddenly walks with a limp.

Do the Hawks think ppl are this stupid? Why not just say “he sucks, but right now he’s all we have because we rushed kids last year and found out they are all a bubbling cauldron of ass at the moment”

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Personally going forward Toews needs his own line, Kane his own, and Dach is own.

Something like

Kubalik Toews Kurashev

Cat Johnson Kaner

Hagel Dach Gaudette/Borgstrom

4th line could be

Kharia Entwislte Gaudette/Borgstrom

Nylander to the A and Strome as the 13th or traded
I agree they compliment each other well on separate lines.

But I don't like Johnson with the little guys, and think him and Dach are a perfect match to boot. Give them the Hag, or Kurashev...and that's a strong versatile third line. Give Toews and Kuba the other.

I think we should peak at Borgstrom at 2C, and I dont love it but it's not a bad place for Strome worst case. In fact, Strome has no home anywhere else where he is useful.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hagel/Reichel-Toews-Kubalik
Cat-Strome/CyBorg-Kane
Hagel/Kurashev-<Johnson+Dach>
Entwhistle/War Orca-Carp-JarJar
13. Gaudette/Kurashev

I think you start there, and poach time from your weak 2C and old tired 1C for that matter, with both Johnson and Dach.

Dach ends up with top 6 minutes, and Strome or Borg with 4th line type minutes...but its quality time with your killers.

No need to call Dach or Johnson the 3C. Let them be ubiquitous and flow seamlessly into position as plays form. Johnson will take lions share of faceoffs, Dach will command zone entries. Johnson plays like an o-zone center, Dach plays like a D-zone center.

That's just how I see their marriage. Any engine on the left will suit them fine, a forechecker is best.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cliff notes.

Harry Potter will take 8 games to arrive at my conclusions regarding Dach and Johnson.

The final 3 roster spots are
1. Reichel/Gaudette/Borgstrom
2. Strome/Borgstrom
3. Entwhistle/War Orca

Because Reichel making squad puts Gaudette and Borgstrom in competition with Kurashev, but with Hagel moving up to line 1 the press box is open for one of the tall centers to share with old guys and one of the behemoths.

That becomes moot if Cyborg is preferred to Strome. If Strome is your third best offensive center...he gone.

My best line-up below

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reichel-Toews-Kubalik
Cat-Strome-Kane
Hagel-Johnson-Dach
Kurashev-Carp-JarJar
13. Entwhistle/War Orca
14. Borgstrom/Gaudette

I'll cheat the D and keep 1 more. Send the yoots on D to the Rock to gel and play. Reichel makes us a better team, I was hard on the pick but he can play. Moreover, Hagel looks great on the third and Kurashev on 4th is sign of depth.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jones-Jones
Murphy-McCabe
Stillman-DeHaan

If you prefer to sacrifice DeHaan in a Scandinavian ritual to put Jones on third pairing and keep Mitchel or Beudin I'm ok with it.

I'm sure Colliton likes his dick sucked after team meetings like anyone would, and we'll get

Jones-DeHaan
Murphy-McCabe
Stillman-Jones

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don’t think this new rule helps anybody but guys who have experience parking their fat asses in front of the crease.

Tim Kerr would have potted 80 with this rule. The guy is basically a cripple from taking so many shots to the body during his peak. He maxed out at what, 58 one year? Yeah he surely would have changed the history books if he had this luxury. We need this type of player, useless unless it’s on the power play screening a goalie with the end result being success. I could live with that.

Connolly waived. Good riddance. Hopefully Strome and Nylander follow him either out of town or down to that cesspool called Rockford. (I lived there, it’s the worlds biggest crack trap house and the only town I know that stinks of mold, empty 40 oz beers, and link cards in its downtown district. Hell, even the downtown bars are disgusting. I was playing a slot once and behind the machine there were roaches crawling up the wall. I shot up out my chair and some fucking buffoon ran to sit down and I had two bucks left to lose. And did I mention the roundabouts? The mayors idea of traffic control was building roundabouts. I shit you not. Don’t fix the roads, make roundabouts)

Woah, was possessed by the spirit of the Link Card Demon there.

I think Entwhistle makes this team for no other reason then to be the guy who goes down when Nylanders rehab stint is over.
Entwhistle needs to grab this opportunity by the pubes. He’s been awesome and effective and can be that physical fourth liner to compliment JarJar and carp. I like Gaudettes game even more and think he could be great on a third line with Dach and Hagel. Hagel gets it, Dach passes it, and Gaudette finishes it. Sign me up.

As for the PK, I think it’s coaching. Murphy and McCabe shouldn’t have been out there on that last goal after spending 45 seconds on the ice the previous shift. That’s lazy coaching. Colonton just doesn’t understand nobody is buying into his scheme, and many have been saying this from his first year.

There’s a video on Twitter of Toews breaking shit down to his team mates from last game. That’s all I need to know who ppl listen to.
Sorry. I'm blanking what are the new rules?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m not believing that CDH broken leg scam one bit. This is a guy that perpetually injured every year yet one year he plays with a broken leg? Not buying it.

And I don’t want to hear how he didn’t feel it when he was skating. The guy took his many half a years off over his shoulder then suddenly channeled his inner Mick Foley and plays thru a broken leg? Think of the friggin lawsuit this guy would win if he suddenly walks with a limp.

Do the Hawks think ppl are this stupid? Why not just say “he sucks, but right now he’s all we have because we rushed kids last year and found out they are all a bubbling cauldron of ass at the moment”
That's why I used , "Might". I don't believe much of the broken leg assertion either, but it would be possible to play if the fracture was a minute hairline fracture.

Possible. Again, unlikely given DeHaan.

I still stand by the fact that DeHaan's play since he got here was never good enough to warrant him playing with any injury whatsoever, and he's had no real stats to pad. If he truly had an broken leg, or was playing in pain because no one knew his "leg was broken", the he, the medical staff, and the coaching need a clue-by-four upside their skulls. He should have been sitting out if that was the case.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sounds like all over the ice from what I've heard on the radio broadcasts.
That's what I heard as well.

Honestly, I think it's bullshit. There will be unintended consequences (like goalies channeling their inner Belfour and chopping ant guys' legs), and in the end they'll start allowing net-front battles again. It'll be like when they came out of the lockout and started calling holding.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I suspect like most NHL player protection, they will enforce early, slowly let it go, and come playoffs allow on ice killings once again.

Or they will do what they did with hooking and completely banish it.

Alan Fuehring is guest radio play by play not tv.

Right, but Foley made this statement before that article was released. He named many people who would be filling in for him during the game, maybe he was fuzzy on the details and thought Fuehring would get a shot at TV. Or he said somebody different, but could have sworn it was someone with an "A" in his name. I was just shocked he would say anyone but Wiedeman should replace him.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I heard one account of him having a bone 'chip' near the top of his femur from blocking a shot and he just needed Tylenol to deal with the pain. The broken leg story was just something for Pat and Edzo to talk about while they were ignoring another game........athletes in all sports play with nagging bone chips.

Granada

Liked Posts:
That's what I heard as well.

Honestly, I think it's bullshit. There will be unintended consequences (like goalies channeling their inner Belfour and chopping ant guys' legs), and in the end they'll start allowing net-front battles again. It'll be like when they came out of the lockout and started calling holding.

I hope you're right and this is short-lived, but I don't know. If they call every cross-check that occurs in the playoffs, playoff hockey will never be the same again.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The new cross-checking campaign is just par for the course for the league!
They ignore the most egregious cross-checks,especially in the PO's and then absolutely go off the deep end with an over-reaction calling the most benign infractions.....par for the course.