Predictions of when Dale will be fired

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
firing or keeping him has nil influence on where the cubs will be in the standings the next few years.

Yeah exactly which is why he won't be fired until at least next year. Theo and Co. know this team is awful. They know the bullpen is AA-AAA quality, and they know the lineup is essentially garbage. Sveum cost us the game tonight but the reality is this team is going to lose 90 games if Sveum is manager, I am manager, Casey Stengal, or Bobby Cox. The team is pure garbage and that is by design, which is utter bullshit but a whole other debate.

I'm all for revamping the farm system and sticking to bounce back type players in FA, but there is really no reason to throw an awful team of this magnitude out there every single game. No fan base deserves that let alone the Cubs.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
Wait a minute.....

The first rule and goal of any sport is to win now. Sure, there are teams out there like the Jaguars, Browns, Astros, etc.. that don't follow this business model because their owners are too cheap and are happy just raking in the media deal money along with ticket sales.

However, have we know digressed the Cubs into this category...and it's okay???

I don't know about some of you that think it is okay to lose because all I know is that when the management say it is okay to lose...then you end up with a loser.

How this is even up for discussion is really beyond me. If Theo wants a loser, and it appears he does, then why not put a loser coach in place as well? We not pick up everyone else's losers that they released so we can put a loser team together?

It is pretty apparent that this is the plan because, unlike what they say, their actions dictate this to the letter.

Dale will be the coach until this team wants to win. Until then, he is the perfect fit.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Lol's, these types of threads generally do not appear until at least June.

And packing the ballpark win or lose does not provide ownership much incentive to field a better product.

WS fans seem to have it right, they don't waste $$ on poor quality products.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whoa, a couple of things. Am i reading Hendry is responsible for having a bad farm, but not responsible for certain draft picks? Well, logically, that does not make sense. If Hendry didnt draft those players, then Theo has never been responsible for any draft himself. Isnt that why the Cubs are building through the draft? Isnt that Theos strong suit? It cant be one way. Hendry was hamstringed for years in the draft. The Cubs were close to last in spending in the draft because of ownership. They did not want to invest in the minors because they were putting there money towards the big league club to sell.

Also, to the guy who said Hendry was a bad GM because of contracts. Really? Hendry didnt sign Soriano. That was McDonough. The contracts were structured so the Tribune Company would not be responsible paying most of them because they were trying to sell the team. Ownership has killed the Cubs forever. Hendry fleeced so many teams in trade it was not even funny. Also, in early 2000's the Cubs had a top 5 farm system when Hendry was smacked dab in the middle of drafting these players. You can only do so much when ownership handcuffs you because they are trying to sell the ball club. Was Hendry the greatest GM ever? No did he make mistakes? Absolutely. What Gm doesnt, but to say he was bad is just a ridiculous over reaction because the Cubs didnt win the series. Hendry is extremely well respected around baseball and gave the Cubs all he had. Remember, Hendry had half the staff Theo has now. Thats how bad Cubs ownership was during his era.

patg006

Liked Posts:
"Far from terrible" when it got us nothing but a couple relievers and bench players, with a few guys whose fates have yet to be determined. And for every one of those you have, we've screwed up big time a bit too (e.g. Hayden Simpson).

Castro was a great signing, but again, that was by Oneri Fleita, not Hendry himself, just like the drafting was by Tim Wilkens.

So Hendry gets NO credit for guys like Samarzdija, Baez, or Wellington Castillo. Just Sean Marshall and James Russell? I

LIQIS.

This is an example of Special person agenda in play......

:enough:

patg006

Liked Posts:
"Far from terrible" when it got us nothing but a couple relievers and bench players, with a few guys whose fates have yet to be determined. And for every one of those you have, we've screwed up big time a bit too (e.g. Hayden Simpson).

Castro was a great signing, but again, that was by Oneri Fleita, not Hendry himself, just like the drafting was by Tim Wilkens.

By this "Masterpiece" logic, Jason McLeod should get all the credit for successful players drafted in the Epstein/Hoyer era. Oh wait; he doesnt?

Because it doesnt fit one's agenda...... :fap:

GoCubs

Liked Posts:
Someone still think that he will finish his contract? I get that the players aren't executing but he just said, it falls on him and his staff and they haven't done much in my eyes, I am glad that Mike Maddux stepped away, I'm sure one of the questions on the interview is, "So these next two-four seasons on your contract will not be good and set up for failure, how do you feel about that?"

Mike Maddux: "Seriously? O hell no! Ain't nobody got time for that..."

A Day later....

Mike Maddux: "I am withdrawing my application, you know, I want to be close to my family..."

Lol, very smart man you are.

Dale's Interview:

Same Question, "Yea, I'm patient...lets fail..."

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
By this "Masterpiece" logic, Jason McLeod should get all the credit for successful players drafted in the Epstein/Hoyer era. Oh wait; he doesnt?

Because it doesnt fit one's agenda...... :fap:

Yes, McLeod should get a ton of credit for it. We have Epstein, Hoyer, and McLeod. Does it matter which one does what? Not really. Plus, we still have Wilkens too in a different role. Hendry himself didn't run the drafts, so we honestly shouldn't be debating drafts in a debate about Epstein vs. Hendry, especially when Epstein isn't even the GM. The issue at hand should be the old regime of Hendry/Wilkens/Fleita vs. the new one of Epstein/Hoyer/McLeod/etc. combined.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, McLeod should get a ton of credit for it. We have Epstein, Hoyer, and McLeod. Does it matter which one does what? Not really. Plus, we still have Wilkens too in a different role. Hendry himself didn't run the drafts, so we honestly shouldn't be debating drafts in a debate about Epstein vs. Hendry, especially when Epstein isn't even the GM. The issue at hand should be the old regime of Hendry/Wilkens/Fleita vs. the new one of Epstein/Hoyer/McLeod/etc. combined.

Im sorry, Im pretty level headed when talking sports but that right there is a logic fail.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Im sorry, Im pretty level headed when talking sports but that right there is a logic fail.

Person who controls the draft gets credit for the draft. Epstein seems to me more involved than Hendry was, but if McLeod is running it as pat suggested since he said giving Wilkens credit for the draft under Hendry was the same thing, then he gets credit.

What matters is whether the front office as a whole now is better than the one before. But comparing Hendry straight up to Epstein shouldn't consider drafts then since Wilkens was in complete control of the Cubs drafts under Hendry's time as Cubs GM.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Benito Santiago??? You are probably too young to even remember him.

Not me. Of course, there are some young tots that don't remember that he was a Cub also.

As far as this Epstein mumbo-jumbo, why don't you look at his Boston team when he took over and the players that he had at the time? Obviously you can do BOTH in Boston. They already had an established team, and Theo was still able to draft Papelbon, Elsbury, Bucholz, Lester, Pedroia and others.

And also while drafting those players, that didn't stop them from spending millions on Lackey, Crawford, Dice-K, and Gonzales.

BOTH people. It can be done. They just have to want to do it and the Cubs are choosing not to.

GoCubs

Liked Posts:

Not me. Of course, there are some young tots that don't remember that he was a Cub also.

As far as this Epstein mumbo-jumbo, why don't you look at his Boston team when he took over and the players that he had at the time? Obviously you can do BOTH in Boston. They already had an established team, and Theo was still able to draft Papelbon, Elsbury, Bucholz, Lester, Pedroia and others.

And also while drafting those players, that didn't stop them from spending millions on Lackey, Crawford, Dice-K, and Gonzales.

BOTH people. It can be done. They just have to want to do it and the Cubs are choosing not to.

That last sentence sums it up Boo! Execellent!

patg006

Liked Posts:
Person who controls the draft gets credit for the draft.

Exactly. The scouts like Wilken and McLeod present all their findings to the GM and the GM makes the selection. Hendry picked all the players he did; were they successes? More often no; but what you're saying that he gets only credit for Marshall, Russell and bench players is Special person.

HE picked Samarzdija, Baez, Castillo. Flieta told him about Castro, and Hendry liked what he saw, so he signed Castro. They're scouts for a reason chief.....

But you wont give him credit for that because it doesnt fit your agenda....

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
So I never said it was "good drafting"??

Didn't think so.

You want to see see terrible drafting, go look at the Padres.

I mean since Tony Gwynn, name another player besides Jake Peavy who has been an above average player that played mainly for the Padres that they drafted and developed??

Adrian Gonzalez would be one.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:

It's that whole "Both" thing still. I just don't understand how hard this concept is to grasp for some...

I know this, any team in any sport that has a goal to win championships would fire anyone that says they are "rebuilding" and not putting some type of quality on the field. One year...maybe. But not two.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Drafted by the Marlins.

Yep with a stop in Texas in between.

No one has come up with any other answers for the Padres.

Which is an example of how difficult it really is to develop a farm system and consistently have it produce quality players.

But many people have been fooled into believing that the Cubs can simply throw away a couple major league seasons and magically produce a farm system of never ending prospects because Theo and Co. want to do it and will snap their fingers and make it happen.

Sorry, doesn't work that way.

I really want to win the Powerball but I am still working 40+ hours a week.

patg006

Liked Posts:
But many people have been fooled into believing that the Cubs can simply throw away a couple major league seasons and magically produce a farm system of never ending prospects because Theo and Co. want to do it and will snap their fingers and make it happen.

Sorry, doesn't work that way.

I really want to win the Powerball but I am still working 40+ hours a week.

What?! You mean the cubs have to do that BOTH thing to be competitive?

Nope, slurpers; you can come out. The sky is NOT falling. What we want is to do what good teams do.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
What?! You mean the cubs have to do that BOTH thing to be competitive?

Nope, slurpers; you can come out. The sky is NOT falling. What we want is to do what good teams do.

But gee whizzzzz pat.....Boy Blunder has won two WS and stuff. I'm just going to go to sleep and let him drive. I don't care where we go.

How dare I question Command Central's biggest Special person.

:nervous:

:fap: