Prospect Buzz

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marcus Mariota - QB - Player

Live at Titans headquarters, ESPN's Bob Holtzman confirmed on SportsCenter that the team is "open for business" at the No. 2 overall pick.

Holtzman believes the Titans will stand pat and take Marcus Mariota if they don't get an enticing-enough trade offer. But the Titans are very clearly trying to trade the pick. If they do get a compelling proposal, Holtzman hinted Tennessee would love to drop down a few spots and draft Amari Cooper.

Related: Titans

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Marcus Mariota - QB - Player

Live at Titans headquarters, ESPN's Bob Holtzman confirmed on SportsCenter that the team is "open for business" at the No. 2 overall pick.

Holtzman believes the Titans will stand pat and take Marcus Mariota if they don't get an enticing-enough trade offer. But the Titans are very clearly trying to trade the pick. If they do get a compelling proposal, Holtzman hinted Tennessee would love to drop down a few spots and draft Amari Cooper.

Related: Titans
I think they are doing all they can to get the best deal. They have come out and said they love Mariota, which would give them more leverage, but the Browns came out and said they don't want to give up next year's first rounder (which could be pretty high in a rebuild year).

Add in that the Chargers are rumored to be out because they don't want to trade Philip Rivers and it's looking like a 3 team biding war might turn into a 1 team negotiation where Philly is the only one remaining.

For me I'm wondering what's riskier, should I order a Mariota jersey now or maybe order the jersey of an Eagles player currently on the roster? Seems like a coin flip at this point.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Aren't you a little bit worried that Kelly might not be the HC forever? I mean players like Cox will be staples no matter who the coach is... But Mariota might just be a Kelly only kind of player.

I'm shitting my pants afraid that 1-2 years into this move Kelly bolts and Mariota can't work in another system, but that's the risks you take.

When looking at Cox, Kendricks and Boykins they are all getting ready for that big 2nd contract. I like all 3 players, but there will be a financia;/cap space committment that will come with drafting each.

With Mariota you can get a franchise type performance (in this system) on a rookie deal. That would allow them to be in the bidding for top level FAs in the next 1-4 years.

There's also a risk component if someone says 'no' to Chip Kelly. If he's not allowed to get his QB then he might be more motivated to head back to college where he can do whatever he wants.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Is it REALLY worth it?

It's like the guy that gives up EVERYTHING to get the girl. Life is not hollywood. There is always a point of no return.

Well, yeah. Here's the way I look at it: Chip Kelly has 10 wins each of the last 2 seasons while playing at least 1/2 the season with his backup QB. Vick beat out Foles, then Foles beat out Sanchez. There's something to be said for this system being able to put up points, but if the talent at QB was better, then this group might take another step forward. I'd add no scout knows Mariota better than Chip Kelly, so if he's all in for him then I believe he's the best person to answer the question of 'is it really worth it?'.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Well, yeah. Here's the way I look at it: Chip Kelly has 10 wins each of the last 2 seasons while playing at least 1/2 the season with his backup QB. Vick beat out Foles, then Foles beat out Sanchez. There's something to be said for this system being able to put up points, but if the talent at QB was better, then this group might take another step forward. I'd add no scout knows Mariota better than Chip Kelly, so if he's all in for him then I believe he's the best person to answer the question of 'is it really worth it?'.

Does Kelly get credit for those wins though, or does the team, because its not like he was handed a weak roster when he got there. Sure they had a bad season in 2012, but Chip was gifted some of the best playmakers in the league, and we've yet to see what he does without them. Not only that, but they've largely been the same one-sided team they were under Reid, and if he has a shot at Mariota odds are that they stay that way.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@terrymc13: Among the teams in contact with #Titans about the No. 2 pick: #Eagles, #Browns, #Bears, #Jets, #Rams.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
@terrymc13: Among the teams in contact with #Titans about the No. 2 pick: #Eagles, #Browns, #Bears, #Jets, #Rams.

The Bears better not... Unless CHI really wanted Mariota, they'd be better off chasing the #3 or #4 pick. We all know what Philly wants...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@CharlesRobinson: #Saints fans: Sean Payton/Ryan Pace were your 2 best college talent evaluators. Pace left. Guess who took over his eval role. Jeff Ireland.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Trading up with WAS to #5 is interesting; you'd be guaranteed one of the following: Cooper, Fowler, or Williams.

Hmmmmm...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe they need a TE.

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
@RossTuckerNFL: Eagles. Wow. RT: @975TheFanatic: Tim McManus "Two 1sts, future 2nd rd, Cox, Kendricks, and Vinny Curry is the latest package in deal."

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
@RossTuckerNFL: Eagles. Wow. RT: @975TheFanatic: Tim McManus "Two 1sts, future 2nd rd, Cox, Kendricks, and Vinny Curry is the latest package in deal."

That's a boatload of contracts to take on. Would TEN even have cap space to make it work?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
if i'm the titans i just keep rejecting his offers until he gives me half of his team.

kelly: "ok, let's make it 3 1st rounders, 2 2nd, cox, kendricks, curry, conner barwin, jarrett boykin and brandon graham?"

titans: "mmm....no thanks"

kelly: "what if i throw in jordan matthews and lane johnson?"

titans: "mmm...no thanks.

kelly: "look, have i mentioned that i really want mariota? just send me a list of players and draft picks you want and i'll sign off on it."

titans: "deal."

and scene.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

they werent lying when they said Chip was gona go hard for Marcus....and he's not mortaging much in the way of future draft picks to do it.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, the Chipster is willing to cash in his entire D. Mariotta better score on every drive.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

what the wha? Bears, please stay away from this sort of complete nonsense.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If I am the Bucs, I draft Mariota. Even if you don't want him, Chip would then throw in another 1st on top of all that just to get him. You would get Winston anyway.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
This guy sounds guilty. Requesting to remove himself from the draft shows lack of confidence in his innocence.

"Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago
Interesting request by La’El Collins to be in the Supplemental Draft. Sources are very pessimistic. Would set a bad precedent."