My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs
An anonymous NFL scout is concerned about Georgia RB Todd Gurley lasting in the league and compared him to Adrian Peterson and Walter Payton as "very violent and aggressive as a runner."
"You start comparing him to Bo (Jackson) and Herschel (Walker) and Adrian (Peterson), that's when you know you're dealing with a special player," said another scout. "Physically, this dude can do everything. He's my favorite player in the draft. He's a football all-day guy." Gurley ran 510 times for 3,285 yards in college. "You start comparing him to Bo (Jackson) and Herschel (Walker) and Adrian (Peterson), that's when you know you're dealing with a special player," said one scout. "Physically, this dude can do everything. He's my favorite player in the draft. He's a football all-day guy." The Bulldog back will reportedly go anywhere from the Jets at No. 6 to the Dolphins at No. 16. "Gurley's different than Marshawn (Lynch)," a veteran scout said. "More explosive than Eddie George. Fred Taylor wasn't as explosive, either. Probably better than Steven Jackson. I don't think he's better than Bo Jackson."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Apr 29 - 1:56 AM

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Brandon Scherff - T - Hawkeyes
ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden says of Iowa OL Brandon Scherff: "He is probably going to be your best left tackle ... your best guard ... your best right tackle."
"What is Scherff going to be? Who cares!" Gruden said. Here, here. The analyst's take on Scherff mirrors Rotoworld's. "Scherff has great awareness, he will compete, and if you are a nickel blitzer coming off the corner, if he sees you, it might be over," Gruden said. "We saw that in the Pitt game. He inflicts pain when he delivers a block. He uses his hands well, keeps his head out of it. Do I wish that he had longer arms? Yes. Do I wish he had the prototype measurables? Yes. But I still want Scherff on my team."
Source: ESPN Insider Apr 29 - 6:12 PM

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers
Referring to Clemson edge rusher Vic Beasley's struggles with the run, ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden points out that "Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware ... know you have to stop the run to set up situations to be able to rush the passer."
Beasley had 33 sacks with the Tigers, but Gruden mentions that he needs space to excel. Beasley can bench press with some of the top edge rushers in the class, but Gruden sees another issue when evaluating his run defense. "When I watch Beasley, I don't feel like he wants to get into the bottom of that pile," he said. "I want to see him retrace and be a part of the tackle, be a part of the pile. Opposing coaches will shift a tackle and a tight end into an unbalanced line and find Beasley if they think they can overpower him -- he won't just be allowed to play in space." Todd McShay is another vocal critic of Beasley's.
Source: ESPN Insider Apr 29 - 5:35 PM

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers
Referring to Clemson edge rusher Vic Beasley's struggles with the run, ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden points out that "Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware ... know you have to stop the run to set up situations to be able to rush the passer."
Beasley had 33 sacks with the Tigers, but Gruden mentions that he needs space to excel. Beasley can bench press with some of the top edge rushers in the class, but Gruden sees another issue when evaluating his run defense. "When I watch Beasley, I don't feel like he wants to get into the bottom of that pile," he said. "I want to see him retrace and be a part of the tackle, be a part of the pile. Opposing coaches will shift a tackle and a tight end into an unbalanced line and find Beasley if they think they can overpower him -- he won't just be allowed to play in space." Todd McShay is another vocal critic of Beasley's.
Source: ESPN Insider Apr 29 - 5:35 PM

He makes a lot of good points BUT you also have linebackers like Clay Matthews that just rush the quarterback all the time. Why wouldn't a team do the same with Vic Beasley?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
He makes a lot of good points BUT you also have linebackers like Clay Matthews that just rush the quarterback all the time. Why wouldn't a team do the same with Vic Beasley?

Clay Mathews played inside backer quite a bit last year as a run stuffer.

However he came into the league as a pure pass rushing tweener.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

If they take Beasley, they'll need to move him all over so he can't be targeted in the run game.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Pace was really prepping us for a trade back yesterday

AussieBear

i think he was about 230-40 soaking wet too, if i recall right..

his special milk does a body good

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs
An anonymous NFL scout is concerned about Georgia RB Todd Gurley lasting in the league and compared him to Adrian Peterson and Walter Payton as "very violent and aggressive as a runner."
"

I dont buy this at all. Hey I am no scout, and I am not watching nothing but youtube and recalling what I watched on Saturdays ( I watch mostly SEC football ) ...but I just dont see him as a violent runner. While Gurley can and has lowered the boom, I really didnt get that vibe watching him vs watching tape of Peterson at Oklahoma. Peterson tried and did run alot of people over in college, Gurley seemed much more elusive and tried to avoid contact more often than not.

While you never know how someone will come back from a big injury like an ACL, I dont feel his long term durability is any more of a concern than any other back in this draft class.

AussieBear

I dont buy this at all. Hey I am no scout, and I am not watching nothing but youtube and recalling what I watched on Saturdays ( I watch mostly SEC football ) ...but I just dont see him as a violent runner. While Gurley can and has lowered the boom, I really didnt get that vibe watching him vs watching tape of Peterson at Oklahoma. Peterson tried and did run alot of people over in college, Gurley seemed much more elusive and tried to avoid contact more often than not.

While you never know how someone will come back from a big injury like an ACL, I dont feel his long term durability is any more of a concern than any other back in this draft class.

gurley averaged over 100 yards AFTER CONTACT a game before getting hurt last year. yes that stat is correct.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
gurley averaged over 100 yards AFTER CONTACT a game before getting hurt last year. yes that stat is correct.

I understand but alot of that " CONTACT" is failed arm tackles, guys lunging for him and him running right through, dont see him doing an exorbinant amount of trucking....at least not enough to go "man this guy isnt going to last long" To me those are the bigger slower guys that just dont have the agility and speed to avoid contact.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interestingly enough, Gurley said this AM on Mike and Mike that the toughest player he played against last season was Beasley.

AussieBear

I understand but alot of that " CONTACT" is failed arm tackles, guys lunging for him and him running right through, dont see him doing an exorbinant amount of trucking....at least not enough to go "man this guy isnt going to last long" To me those are the bigger slower guys that just dont have the agility and speed to avoid contact.

if benson could have ran through arm tackles... hmm.

gurley has the power to take on players or enough speed to run around most. i get what you are saying though..

AussieBear

Interestingly enough, Gurley said this AM on Mike and Mike that the toughest player he played against last season was Beasley.

yeah after putting up 198 yards on 15 carries and 3 tds. throw in a 100 yd ko return for a td too. gurley has a history of running over top rated defenses and clemson was number 1 in the country last year.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah after putting up 198 yards on 15 carries and 3 tds. throw in a 100 yd ko return for a td too. gurley has a history of running over top rated defenses and clemson was number 1 in the country last year.

He mentioned the Defense last year that gave him the biggest fits... South Carolina. Constantly put 8-9 guys in the box.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
If we draft an OLB, I hope it's Beasley. He's got the combine numbers and production on the field.

Our DL is stacked with big guys right now. Some speed would help a lot.

AussieBear

He mentioned the Defense last year that gave him the biggest fits... South Carolina. Constantly put 8-9 guys in the box.

yeah and he still ran for 130 with a 6.6 avg. id draft him all day long, but i doubt the bears actually do, but eh.. one can hope. dont worry though, nick chubbs from UGA will be another 1st rd back in the 2017 draft.