Question...Fields gone, are we 100% on Williams

Bust

Liked Posts:
I admit I know nothing of any of the qb's but I hate anyone under 6'2" that can't keep be out the pocket. College's that don't run a pro offense and then we throw them in there expecting them to know it... Honestly the only reason fields was traded was his 4th quarter issues imo and his tendency to not trust the throw. From what I hete, we are about to draft the same thing. It's a shame the Panthers gave us the number one pick. I at least wanted to see if Justin could work with this new oc.

I also have this fear if this blows up... It's the cycle all over again. If you know, you know

and if Fields never improves the Bears are stuck with a 45 million per year, 250 million dollar price tag.

FIELDS BLEW CHUNKS IN THE 4TH QUARTER, IT IS WHAT IT IS. TIME TO MOVE ON

Canth

Liked Posts:
I just watched a few of his highlights too. With every highlight video, I also watch that years lowlights though.. and it’s kinda ugly when he has a bad game. Question: was Young the surefire #1 last year? Or was it flip flopped up til the pick? I ignored all the hype last year. I’m just trying to see the ‘bust’ rate on the surefire #1s

I don't think Young was considered a surefire #1 last year. If I remember right, there were questions about his size and arm strength. He was considered to be the safer pick as the perception was that he processed the field better so would more easily translate to the NFL. I think he was thought to be the better pocket passer.

Overall, my recollection was that there was at least some legit debate on who was better and they were considered very close - that both should be good players and it was more which perceived playstyle was preferred.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I admit I know nothing of any of the qb's but I hate anyone under 6'2" that can't keep be out the pocket. College's that don't run a pro offense and then we throw them in there expecting them to know it... Honestly the only reason fields was traded was his 4th quarter issues imo and his tendency to not trust the throw. From what I hete, we are about to draft the same thing. It's a shame the Panthers gave us the number one pick. I at least wanted to see if Justin could work with this new oc.

I also have this fear if this blows up... It's the cycle all over again. If you know, you know
If it is, oh well. It is what it is.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm going to update my opinion on this. I'm starting to see a lot more ability to play in structure from Williams in his 2022 tape against ranked opponents. His 2023 tape is terrible versus ranked opponents but he had a really bad offensive line as well. Williams likes to play Hero ball too much and right now that's my main concern.
Can’t wait

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I just watched a few of his highlights too. With every highlight video, I also watch that years lowlights though.. and it’s kinda ugly when he has a bad game. Question: was Young the surefire #1 last year? Or was it flip flopped up til the pick? I ignored all the hype last year. I’m just trying to see the ‘bust’ rate on the surefire #1s

There was some debate as there is every year but generally Bryce young was the consensus number one

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think Young was considered a surefire #1 last year. If I remember right, there were questions about his size and arm strength. He was considered to be the safer pick as the perception was that he processed the field better so would more easily translate to the NFL. I think he was thought to be the better pocket passer.

Overall, my recollection was that there was at least some legit debate on who was better and they were considered very close - that both should be good players and it was more which perceived playstyle was preferred.

A lot of times though you get that debate. Remember there was a huge debate over Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope he starts fast when he starts his career here.

This city and fan base will destroy the kid if he doesn't throw for 300 in three out of his first four games.

At that point, we'll find out alot. I'm so skeptical....

Canth

Liked Posts:
I hope he starts fast when he starts his career here.

This city and fan base will destroy the kid if he doesn't throw for 300 in three out of his first four games.

At that point, we'll find out alot. I'm so skeptical....

Maybe I am being naive, but I think fans would be excited just to see a single 300+ yard game in his first 4 games. I don't think there is a QB in franchise history to even throw for a single 300+ yard game in their first 4 games for the Bears.

Cutler didn't do it (game 5), Trubisky didn't (technically, it was game 10 although he had 297 in game 5), and Fields only did it once in his 3rd year although he came close in his 7th start vs Pit with 291 yards.

I think as long as Williams comes out and looks the part, then people will be excited for the future. Especially if the team as a whole can come out strong with some early wins, then nobody is going to give a shit if Williams doesn't have 3 out of 4 300 yard games in his first 4 starts as a rookie.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
We've got the first step of accepting that Fields would not be on the Bears next year out of the way. Now it's time to accept that Caleb Williams will be the next Bears QB.

Fanduel has the odds of Caleb going #1 as a 50-1 favorite. DraftKings has the odds of the Bears drafting Caleb as a 30-1 favorite.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 135613.png

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What if?!?

Caleb Williams is in a tier above EVERY QB in this draft. It’s not even close.

If the dude who was in charge of drafting Mahomes jettisoned without remorse a player as popular as Fields to draft him, you Bear the fuck down and support CW.
I'm on board. But I'm also probably just going to tune out until the start of the regular season. Maybe even several games in.

Despite me being 100% in the Fields camp, the second CW (or whoever) has a bad outing the trolls coming out of the woodwork will be super fucking annoying.

I'm kind of exhausted at this point tbh. This shit is supposed to be fun and a distraction from IRL shit. I just hope that Bears fans have a modicum of perspective, because things will most likely not be amazing out of the gate.

But who am I kidding? We all know how this plays out if things aren't perfect.

BigTom

Liked Posts:
CW just makes sense. But hopefully Poles is doing his due diligence on Maye and the others. My fear with Bears history and bad luck is CW becomes Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray and Maye ends up like Josh Allen or Herbert.

I'd feel closer to 100% about CW if he was a few inches taller.

MadeinChicago

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. LSU Tigers
Yes. At this point yes. If CW doesn't pan out, it's the same BS for the Bears, but at least the clear 'right' choice was made. No turning back now, draft CW and let's see if he can be what we've never had.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Caleb scares the shit out of me, less so now that we have Keenan Allen - his talent is great but I just don't see a perfectly clean transition to the NFL. Hope we can FINALLY develop a QB, I have faith in Waldron/the Shanny system and think the talent around him is awesome so there should be a good foundation for him to be developed with.
I don't disagree with this but how much more awesomer is the O with just a new C (definitely important) and swapping a VG starting WR with an excellent one? Had we kept Mooney or draft a catcher ( WR, Bowers) in one, that would approach awesome.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
CW just makes sense. But hopefully Poles is doing his due diligence on Maye and the others. My fear with Bears history and bad luck is CW becomes Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray and Maye ends up like Josh Allen or Herbert.

I'd feel closer to 100% about CW if he was a few inches taller.
6'4"?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Young was the consensus #1 until Stroud blew teams away throwing at the combine and his proday. That arm talent became undeniable. The combine was like a how to clinic.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’ve liked Drake Maye but I’m gonna put my rare trust in the Bear FO to get this right. Whoever they pick is getting my support regardless.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Drake Maye is the typical Bears pick and not because he is from NC, though his face does look like Rex Grossman. He will have weird multi interception games. Something is off about him.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
I'm on board. But I'm also probably just going to tune out until the start of the regular season. Maybe even several games in.

Despite me being 100% in the Fields camp, the second CW (or whoever) has a bad outing the trolls coming out of the woodwork will be super fucking annoying.

I'm kind of exhausted at this point tbh. This shit is supposed to be fun and a distraction from IRL shit. I just hope that Bears fans have a modicum of perspective, because things will most likely not be amazing out of the gate.

But who am I kidding? We all know how this plays out if things aren't perfect.

The stats shit is the annoying part. We're led by a super conservative defensive HC who preaches ball control and ball security and the second half of the season is played in cold, miserable weather where wind and snow can fuck up a gameplan. The sport is completely different outside in the winter than it is in a freaking dome.

4000 yard seasons don't mean shit, 30 TDs don't mean shit. Winning football is all that matters, if Caleb can play within structure, keep the dumb plays at a minimum and get to the playoffs or at least close - I'm cool with it all. Brian Hoyer threw for 300 yards a bunch in garbage time, worthless games - I'd much prefer a dominant W with the QB throwing for 250 yards.