Rebuild ideas

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watching Floyd play for the Rams was really annoying. Suddenly the guy was everywhere this season, although he still had just enough Bears rust leftover just for Rodgers to break his ankles on the way to the end zone.
Floyd was always everywhere and much more than a pass rusher. Bears fans hated him because he didnt have sack numbers.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Glennon bad, Foles Im told is good and he only makes 6m. Who else?
Who else? Any qb that has been on our roster has been generally bad. Foles was terrible with us this season. So whether it is Pace, the coach, or the QB's themselves, it is Pace's fault.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree with most of what you've said. I would argue that our rebuild needs to be more foundational. We need to start with the OL first, arguably in having 6 quality starters. I believe we should overpay the position with 6 players and we will reap the benefits.
No matter how good a QB is, he can't complete passes if he doesn't have the time to make the read and throw. If a QB's eyes are in his backfield looking at the DL, they aren't downfield. Trying to bring in a young QB will be his utter demise if he can't stay upright. I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe spending the Min. amount on a QB this year would make the most sense if we can allocate our spending in OL. Once we have that, then we can get a QB.
An analogy I like to use is of cars... you shouldn't buy a sportscar if you don't have smooth roads to drive it on.
I like your analogy, and I would change it to comparing the Bears to a gravel road...:).

I can't argue much with your desire to fix the OL first, all the good teams that make a turn around have that solid foundation. I'm just not sure the Pace and Nagy are going to be able to be more passive in the QB position and still have a job next year...

I think they are desperate and will explore any option that buys them more time and points towards a future development.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I don't think Tonyan is just a guy, Rodgers never got much production out of his TE's.

Maybe but blue chip level players really don’t migrate to Indiana State. If he gets paid and moves on or if he’s around with Love at the helm, you’ll have a better idea of if he’s benefiting from the brilliance of Rodgers and the fact he’s drawing weaker coverage as the 4th or 5th option.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who else? Any qb that has been on our roster has been generally bad. Foles was terrible with us this season. So whether it is Pace, the coach, or the QB's themselves, it is Pace's fault.
I mean who else did Pace acquire that was bad. He inherited Cutler, signed Glennon, drafted Trubisky, and traded for Foles. Im just making sure I got his complete list of blunders in my head.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like your analogy, and I would change it to comparing the Bears to a gravel road...:).

I can't argue much with your desire to fix the OL first, all the good teams that make a turn around have that solid foundation. I'm just not sure the Pace and Nagy are going to be able to be more passive in the QB position and still have a job next year...

I think they are desperate and will explore any option that buys them more time and points towards a future development.
Trubisky had time to throw in the Saints game he just sucks.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I mean who else did Pace acquire that was bad. He inherited Cutler, signed Glennon, drafted Trubisky, and traded for Foles. Im just making sure I got his complete list of blunders in my head.
Glennon, Trubisky, and Foles were brought here to win and they proved to be bad. Chase Daniel was not as good as advertised. The coach Pace brought in to work with qbs and improve qb play has been bad. AND the fact that Pace hasn't drafted additional QBs at any point is bad. Pace could have brought in a better backup this year knowing Mitch had his struggles, they were out there.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Floyd was always everywhere and much more than a pass rusher. Bears fans hated him because he didnt have sack numbers.
Exactly. In Fangio's scheme Floyd was an elite pass coverage linebacker and made impact plays all the time. His work shutting down opponents screen game and the flat was impressive and very impactful. He never got the appreciation he deserved in Chicago after Fangio left, I don't like piling on Chuck Pagano but the management of Leonard Floyd was definitely a mistake.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Drew lock is a name I don’t see talked about enough. The Bears can probably have him for a 2nd round pick, but obviously he brings a ton of question marks to the table. Decent potential though.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Drew lock is a name I don’t see talked about enough. The Bears can probably have him for a 2nd round pick, but obviously he brings a ton of question marks to the table. Decent potential though.
I'm not opposed to Drew Lock but I am opposed to giving up a second round pick for him. If he is successful he's only cheap this season and next season, Bears would only be getting fifty percent value on that second round pick contract. Has he shown enough on the field to justify giving up fifty-two overall for him two years after he was initially selected with forty-two overall? I dont really think so. I do not think you do much for the long-term success of the franchise making that deal.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I'm not opposed to Drew Lock but I am opposed to giving up a second round pick for him. If he is successful he's only cheap this season and next season, Bears would only be getting fifty percent value on that second round pick contract. Has he shown enough on the field to justify giving up fifty-two overall for him two years after he was initially selected with forty-two overall? I dont really think so. I do not think you do much for the long-term success of the franchise making that deal.

fair points. Although I personally think Lock is better than anything they’d get at #52 overall at QB, I’m not sold on guys like Trask and Newman.

this deal would be very similar to the 9ers getting garapolo. Give up some draft capital, a 2nd rounder to get a kid with potential and if he doesn’t pan out, you aren’t committed to him long term.

I also think Lock has been pretty decent at the NFL level, albeit inconsistent

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
Trubisky had time to throw in the Saints game he just sucks.
This is the best proof that Trubisky is not the QB for us. I do have to say, some of the play calling this year has been utterly baffling. For example, that 1st and Goal against Jax on the 1/2 yard line and we run a TE end around, even after taking a timeout. Not smart. I think we lost 6-7 yards, and then called a run. We ended up with a field goal. My philosophy is inside the 5, run the ball 4 times if you have to. At that point, it's the will of your OL vs the will of the DL. If you can't score on 4 runs inside the 5, you need new players. I'm not pretending that I know better than Nagy; he's far more qualified than I am to be an NFL coach, but to me, it's just basic football. Nagy outsmarts himself.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
+ Done a great job overspending on several players ?‍♂️. At least for Mitch the tank already got em to #3. Regardless a miss is a miss & they aren't ready to set the table for a rookie this season, nor a vet gutting the roster to bring in now. Can we reasonably agree that...

Bears aren't going to SB this upcoming season. Fair assumption?

#20 is no way to draft a top tier QB (esp w/ so much competition), NOR do they have the ammo to trade up without gutting much needed current/future picks.

View attachment 9857

Grab a developmental QB in 3rd or 4th for NOW, and enjoy the tank for a 2022 QB
+ FILL other holes/prevent creating as many new cap holes
+ KEEP the draft picks
+ keep future cap space
+ additional years of rookie QB cap use (vs get him NOW and need a few years to surround with what he needs) ?‍♂️
+ avoid tainting said rookie QB with Nagy's idiocy (a'la Mitch with Fox AND Nagy)

Trading for Watson or some other so-so vet QB is crazy overspending for no reason. Just plain desperation at the expense of all the above and the next several years. All the more reason they should've fired these guys!

I would be looking to shed expensive contracts, drafting offensive and D linemen early and often, and know that we are going with Foles next year unfortunately.

Take a late round QB and try to get lucky.

But knowing Pace he will keep hanging us with expensive shitty contracts that rarely live up to expectations.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Pretty shitty defense of Pace, you're like the Rudy Guilliani of CCS

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty shitty defense of Pace, you're like the Rudy Guilliani of CCS

Im not defending Pace just making sure I have all his failures listed.

Sorry ill go back to meatball super hate like you.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Not sure I get the point of you linking this to me? I was sticking up for Floyd...

You were saying the Bears fans were upset cause he wasn't getting the sacks even though he was everywhere.... Well, he got the sacks this year and was still everywhere.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You were saying the Bears fans were upset cause he wasn't getting the sacks even though he was everywhere.... Well, he got the sacks this year and was still everywhere.
Gotcha. So we agree. Shoulda kept Floyd over Quinn. :)