2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hmmm. Maybe I was right all along and Howard did just suck last season.
he sucked because he does not fit in this system, which means he would also not fit in the Eagles system. DOn't pat yourself on your back, it was not a real hard call to make.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
he sucked because he does not fit in this system, which means he would also not fit in the Eagles system. DOn't pat yourself on your back, it was not a real hard call to make.
Judging from this thread a ton of intelligent people disagree with me though.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Miles Sanders has the same runningback qualities as Howard and is younger and is starting his rookie contract. He is the future. Melvin Gordon is somewhat elusive and has pass catching skills, thus offering a different skill set.

Gordon is going to learn the hard way he isn't worth the money he wants. He just isn't that special for the top tier money he is asking for.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace should have traded Floyd and a third for Clowney.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
TBH, I was thinking this week that Howard would be a perfect trade for Chargers, given their Melvin Gordon problem.

I never got why PHI wanted Howard in the first place. They run a similar blocking scheme as Nagy!! Howard's also a poor fit up there with his "patient" running style.

Then LAC needs a good runner and could get Howard for next to nothing now that PHI has Sanders lined up to take over. And he will take over and do well for them. Book it.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Already answered this. That previous discussion circled around bringing a new player in then sending him off to another team via trade. That it supposedly kept players from coming to said team because of it. Reality is that the NFL is a business like any other and assets are traded equally as such.

It’s not the same because Howard didn’t freely choose to go to Philadelphia, he was traded. Davis made a commitment to the Bears in free agency. I’d assume there were other teams interested which he turned down in favor of the Bears. Much different dynamic.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last I checked, he made Philly's 53 and it's not because they gave up a 6th. They just cut their 5th round pick. Trying to trade him for Gordon is not devaluing him in any way.

Yeah, lol, to me it’s the exact opposite. Imagine the reaction if this trade actually went down and Pace only got a 6th rounder for him. :kermit:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Whatever you have to tell yourself. Get back to me when you find the first instance of a newly signed free agent that got traded a few months later(excluding any player driven trades).

I was going to say Mike Glennon, but then I remembered that no other NFL team was willing to trade for him.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP. This really isn't surprising. Howard sucked much like Matt Forte. Both were afraid to run between the tackles and were prone to getting brought down by their shoelaces.

Bears haven't had a real running back until this year since Thomas Jones. Most intriguing thing for me to watch this year is the beefback Montgomery.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
However; a RB that runs routes and catches like Jerry Rice, has moves like Barry Sanders, has the all-around game of Walter Payton, are power backs with elite speed like Earl Campbell and Bo Jackson do not come around very often.

Unless its the 3rd round of the 2019 draft!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Unless its the 3rd round of the 2019 draft!
I hope that Montgomery does extremely well in his Bears career, but there is no way that his speed compares to Earl Campbell's and absolutely not even close to Bo Jackson's.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I hope that Montgomery does extremely well in his Bears career, but there is no way that his speed compares to Earl Campbell's and absolutely not even close to Bo Jackson's.

Campbell had a great OL in college at Texas. Jackson had a great OL in college at Auburn.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Campbell had a great OL in college at Texas. Jackson had a great OL in college at Auburn.
?????

You were responding to my saying that all coaches are looking for one type of RB, the perfect RB. I gave the traits of a perfect RB and gave some examples of players that had some of those traits. I then said that a RB with those type of traits is almost impossible to find. That is the reason that most teams go with a RB-by-committee type of approach because it is much easier to get a combination of those traits in several RBs instead of waiting for the few RBs that have it all.

You then mentioned Montgomery or, to be more accurate, you mentioned a 3rd round RB.

I then said that Montgomery does not have that track star speed as Bo Jackson, which is true.

You then talk about the the offensive lines of both Campbell and Jackson as being excellent. Though this is true, it has nothing to do with Montgomery's speed.

By the way, Earl Campbell ran a sub 4.5 40 at 240 pounds while Bo Jackson was electronically timed at 4.13 once.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think all coaches are looking for the next Earl Campbell. I have never seen better over their first 3 seasons.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think all coaches are looking for the next Earl Campbell. I have never seen better over their first 3 seasons.
His power and speed combination was just unfair. When not watching Walter, it was a pleasure watching him.