Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I could run up and down a basketball court all day but when it comes to just straight running, my body just doesnt allow it lol.

Quit being a puss.

It's not hard.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
4 miles today up and down some hills in 37 minutes 53 seconds. Took about 2 minutes 15 seconds off my best time on this loop. Feeling better, have dropped 34 pounds off my heaviest weight ever and 20 pounds in since February. Tough Mudder in July and then a Half Marathon in September.

Pushing it a bit to make these events I think, but making me work hard and eat healthy. Love my new shoes too. Maybe try to run 6 miles on Sunday. Slowish pace of about 10 minute miles will probably be my goal for that one, I guess. Don't know.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
BigP could run up and down a basketball court...until he actually told his coach he wanted to quit running up and down the basketball court.

Soft

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
4 miles today up and down some hills in 37 minutes 53 seconds. Took about 2 minutes 15 seconds off my best time on this loop. Feeling better, have dropped 34 pounds off my heaviest weight ever and 20 pounds in since February. Tough Mudder in July and then a Half Marathon in September.

Pushing it a bit to make these events I think, but making me work hard and eat healthy. Love my new shoes too. Maybe try to run 6 miles on Sunday. Slowish pace of about 10 minute miles will probably be my goal for that one, I guess. Don't know.

What half you doing? The Chicago?

Also, dude, get on a plan. You're more than likely to get burnt out/bored of running with out a plan of some kind. Also, mix in some 5ks etc over the course of the summer.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
What half you doing? The Chicago?

Also, dude, get on a plan. You're more than likely to get burnt out/bored of running with out a plan of some kind. Also, mix in some 5ks etc over the course of the summer.

I live in CT. Its a half out here. I am sorta on a plan. Its based on a running schedule for beg./int. guys, such as myself. Basically gains every week your runs get 10% longer with longer runs on Sat. (this sat. is my anniversary, hence a Sunday run instead). I'll see if I can find a link.

Thanks.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I live in CT. Its a half out here. I am sorta on a plan. Its based on a running schedule for beg./int. guys, such as myself. Basically gains every week your runs get 10% longer with longer runs on Sat. (this sat. is my anniversary, hence a Sunday run instead). I'll see if I can find a link.

Thanks.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Runners-Faster-Revised-Edition-3-Run-/dp/1609618025/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337974078&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster, Revised Edition: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary 3-Run-a-Week Training Program (9781609618025): Bill Pierce, Scott Murr, Ray Moss, Amby Burfoot: Books[/ame]

Get this book.

Been PR'ing like crazy with it's ideas.

Here's a great Half Marathon plan from the above book

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html
It's a 3 day a week plan.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Finished. I said I would be happy just to be under 2 hours. According to my run app on my phone I finished in 1:42 and change. Of course it also said I did 10.3 miles, so we'll see when the official comes in.

Great experience. Just no way to describe running out onto Soldier Field.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finished. I said I would be happy just to be under 2 hours. According to my run app on my phone I finished in 1:42 and change. Of course it also said I did 10.3 miles, so we'll see when the official comes in.

Great experience. Just no way to describe running out onto Soldier Field.

Thats a pretty cool experience you had. If I was a runner I would want to end at home plate at us cellular, but if you're a bears fans and football fan that has to be awesome to finish where you did. Personally I hate running, my cardio consists of RAT roller hockey in the summer and RAT ice hockey in the winter when I can.

now ice those knees and relax the rest of the weekend!

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Thats a pretty cool experience you had. If I was a runner I would want to end at home plate at us cellular, but if you're a bears fans and football fan that has to be awesome to finish where you did. Personally I hate running, my cardio consists of RAT roller hockey in the summer and RAT ice hockey in the winter when I can.

now ice those knees and relax the rest of the weekend!
Somebody told me about a charity run that ended at US Cellular, but I think it finished in the outfield, and they didn't let anybody near the infield.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just did a 5k in a nearby city...time went up a bit from the last one, but order of finish improved. Hot and hilly...

just gotta keep improving...

btw, though he gets on my last nerve a lot on this board, gotta give a hat-tip to FT. looked up some running schedules for beginners..w/ the whole run 8, walk 2, run 8 style of running...my time is starting to improve, and i feel better afterwards. Thanks Broseph.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Just a note for other runners: If you're going to walk, or are going slower than the others around you......move to the side. Also: no need to stop while getting a drink at one of the stations, it prevents others from doing the same.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just a note for other runners: If you're going to walk, or are going slower than the others around you......move to the side. Also: no need to stop while getting a drink at one of the stations, it prevents others from doing the same.

Yeah...my two least favorite spots in a race are the very beginning, when everyone's trying to file-out....and at the water stations....i try to move way to the side, away from everyone else at the beginning, even if its going to cost me a few steps....and try to go to the person handing out water that's the furthest away from the drink station - lol.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah...my two least favorite spots in a race are the very beginning, when everyone's trying to file-out....and at the water stations....i try to move way to the side, away from everyone else at the beginning, even if its going to cost me a few steps....and try to go to the person handing out water that's the furthest away from the drink station - lol.
I guess it is what I get for starting near the back. I have a pretty dumb fear of being trampled - completely unfounded. But also, I think it is a little psychological because I pass a lot of people, of course at the cost of hydrating well during the race.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ran 12.1 miles Saturday morning in 1:33. My training plans goal time for the run was 1:44, but I felt really good so I just went with how I was feeling. Might be able to break 1:40 for the half marathon in a couple weeks.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
Not a true "running" sport, but after training and losing 26 pounds, able to run solid mileage with good times for an older guy trying to get back into shape - I am leaving today for the NE Tough Mudder, doing it tomorrow morning at Mt. Snow. Should be a great time with some fantastic buds and heres hoping this old guy who has recently gotten back into shape can make it through the 10+ miles up and down this ski resort. Will get back with info after the weekend if you are all interested.

Here we GO!!!!

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
I don't understand the fascination with those things in the last few years. I went to one, but they had booze so I sat and got hammered while my Special person friends went running and climbing ropes and got muddy. I think I won.

Status
Not open for further replies.