Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am infact looking at career passer rating, so you are interpreting it wrong.

Probably an attempts thing. The list I was looking at requires 1500.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It tells me that Wilson is a top passer in a passing league
Well, damn, Nick Foles should just wait for RW to sign and the demand more since he is ranked just above him on that list.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Well, damn, Nick Foles should just wait for RW to sign and the demand more since he is ranked higher over the same time period.

Nick Foles is just a game manager though. 28th in pass attempts last year

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Well, damn, Nick Foles should just wait for RW to sign and the demand more since he is ranked just above him on that list.

As an Eagles fan who likes/liked Foles and watched a lot of Wilson I find this comical.

Completely different tier of NFL QB. Not even close.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You are talking about single season, not career, so you're doing it wrong.

Correction - I checked the career passer rating and you are right. My look needed 1500 attempts, so Wilson, RG3, Foles, etc.. are not included, but I'd make an argument that you always have to look beyond the stats. For example, RG3 had a 86.9 passer rating last year. Looking only at that number you'd say he had a decent year. Now understand in 7 starts he had only 4 TD passes and was sack at a higher rate than both Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins. His passer rating got a big boost from passing a lot of balls behing the LOS when Gruden was just trying to get the ball out of his hands.

Stats are meaningless without context.

Let's talk about Wilson's QB rating with an understanding how that stat is accumulated - Is it boosted by short passes? No (high YPC/YPA). Is it boosted by hogging TDs in the red zone? I don't think so and can't find the specific site that offers that data.
True, but is his job not made easier by having arguably the best RB, not named AP, in the league, and playing more often than not from the lead on short fields due to the #1 defense three years running?

Here is a question. What QB, given RB's, WR's, TE's, O line, home field, and accompanying defense and include passing climate of the league, has had a better chance to succeed than RW over his short 3 year career? In the history of the NFL, I don't know of one QB that has been put in an easier position to start their career. He has done well, and is certainly a good player, but to ignore all those factors is foolish.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
As an Eagles fan who likes/liked Foles and watched a lot of Wilson I find this comical.

Completely different tier of NFL QB. Not even close.
That is the point. The statistic is comical viewed in such a short period.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, but is his job not made easier by having arguably the best RB, not named AP, in the league, and playing more often than not from the lead on short fields due to the #1 defense three years running?

Here is a question. What QB, given RB's, WR's, TE's, O line, home field, and accompanying defense and include passing climate of the league, has had a better chance to succeed than RW over his short 3 year career? In the history of the NFL, I don't know of one QB that has been put in an easier position to start their career. He has done well, and is certainly a good player, but to ignore all those factors is foolish.

Well he did have to beat out free agent superstar Matt Flynn.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I would be interested in a list of all quarterbacks that have had a passer rating of 95.0 or above for 3 full seasons in a row.

EDIT: Checked Favre for fun. 20 years. He never did it. 3 straight MVP's didn't do it. Granted passer rating is higher overall now for a number of reasons but it is still impressive.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
311 in 8 games vs Russells 452 in 16.

Math hard, urgh.

Not really...I'm just using your blanket parameters for a game manager QB

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

Similar to the passes attempted stat you use to validate what a "game manager" QB is

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I would be interested in a list of all quarterbacks that have had a passer rating of 95.0 or above for 3 full seasons in a row.

Are we using just "game managers?"

That's a very short list.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

That's a long list of QBs

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not really...I'm just using your blanket parameters for a game manager QB
Hell, that stat favors RW due to him not missing a game.

Here is one for you.

You are suggesting Seattle pay RW more money than any other NFL player, despite the fact Seattle has asked him to do less with his arm than any other team has asked their starting QB/QB's to do over the last 3 years.

Seattle has ranked 32,31,32 in attempts over the last 3 years.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Hell, that stat favors RW due to him not missing a game.

Here is one for you.

You are suggesting Seattle pay RW more money than any other NFL player, despite the fact Seattle has asked him to do less with his arm than any other team has asked their starting QB/QB's to do over the last 3 years.

Seattle has ranked 32,31,32 in attempts over the last 3 years.

This stat would hold some merit if they weren't top 10 the past 2 years in YPA.

I would say Wilson was a game manager in his rookie year up until the Bears game. Then the playbook opened up.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

An equally as important question is how do you take all of those moving factors and come to quantifiable conclusion. Try to put a defendable dollar value on each of those, add them up and see what you have.

Teams do factor that into account, but at the end of the day what's his market value? How many other QB starved franchises look at each of those stats and think:

- How much does Wilson's running ability help our RBs have room?
- How much beter is our OL than Seattle's (they aren't good)?
- How much better are our WRs?
- How much would having someone like RW activate our fans to be louder?

It's no different than free agents leaving a team for massive contracts because the team 'buying' that player are thinking they are a part of the winning formula.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Well he did have to beat out free agent superstar Matt Flynn.

Just to put that into the correct context, Seattle traded for Flynn and gave him a 2 year deal that paid him starter money in those days. RW, a 3rd round draft pick, came in and from his first day started to win the #1 QB job. Making the leap from college QB to starter in the NFL is no small accomplishment especially when the team didn't take the player in the first round and the GM/coach made moves to get a specific guy in the offseason.