Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Considering when the best QBs are discussed the first stat they cite are their pass attempts

Aaron Rodgers is in a clear decline...was #14 in pass attempts last year.

When people are talking about the single game great performances from the QB positon how can't they bring up:

- Jon Kitna's 68 attempts in a win against the Steelers
- Brian Greise's 67 attempts in a loss to the Bucs (he was a Bear at that time)
- Chris Wienke's 63 attempts in a blowout loss to the Cards
- Elvis Grbac's 63 attempts in a loss to the Bungles (they were the Bungles back then)
- Joey Harrington's 62 attempts in a loss to the Packers (fun fact - Marty Booker had a TD!)

Some of the NFL's attempt 'elite' just showing you what they can do on any given Sunday (providing they were actually employeed and were allowed to play).

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Considering when the best QBs are discussed the first stat they cite are their pass attempts

Aaron Rodgers is in a clear decline...was #14 in pass attempts last year.
Yes they are very similar, except RWilson ranked lower half of NFL starters (>8 games) last year in Comp%, YPG, TD's ,TD% while Rodgers was top 10 in all (3 in TD's and 2 in TD%).

Oh, Oh but RW was #4 in INT% to Rodgers #1.

You know what they call guys that rank below #20 in yards/gm every season, but don't make a lot of mistakes. Game managers.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Rodgers also didn't account for a good chunk of the running offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans

He was actually a Buc at that time and they beat the Bears in OT. Not that it detracts from your point, though.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Maybe look at it this way - Wilson does more with every attempt, so logically needs less to accomplish the same task.
I go back to the crux of this thread. Should R Wilson be the top paid player in the NFL.

No, hell no, fuck no.

He is a good to very good young QB that should be paid around top 8-10 money. Will he be overpaid? Most likely.

He has succeeded in the easiest position to succeed any rookie QB has ever been put into. Low pass attempts, great D, great running back that churns up yards and keeps opposing defenses honest and a shit load of 2nd and mid to short yardage situations.

How someone makes the leap to pay a guy that has led the 26th or lower ranked passing game every year of his career, top money in the NFL, is unfathomable.

Last edited:

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When people are talking about the single game great performances from the QB positon how can't they bring up:

- Jon Kitna's 68 attempts in a win against the Steelers
- Chris Wienke's 63 attempts in a blowout loss to the Cards
- Elvis Grbac's 63 attempts in a loss to the Bungles (they were the Bungles back then)
- Joey Harrington's 62 attempts in a loss to the Packers (fun fact - Marty Booker had a TD!)

Some of the NFL's attempt 'elite' just showing you what they can do on any given Sunday (providing they were actually employeed and were allowed to play).

I know your point is lousy QB's and a ridiculous number of attempts but since I can't get enough of Matt Flynn today so why not bring up:

31/44, 480 yards and 6 TD's in a win against the Lions. And that's 10.9 ypa! That Flynn is no game manager, that's for sure!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Flynns the Cutler of gunslingers

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
How someone makes the leap to pay a guy that has led the 26th or lower ranked passing game every year of his career, top money in the NFL, is unfathomable.

Because what if you're wrong, he actually is a good QB and he goes somewhere and makes plays for $25M/year? He could have been your QB. It's not like many of these franchises have too many other options when it comes to landing a good QB. GMs have to be willing to take risks.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Because what if you're wrong, he actually is a good QB and he goes somewhere and makes plays for $25M/year? He could have been your QB. It's not like many of these franchises have too many other options when it comes to landing a good QB. GMs have to be willing to take risks.
Yeah, but you can let him play under his rookie deal for just $1.7M, and then franchise him for $20M in 2016, $24 M in 2017, and $28.8M in 2018. Depending on the structure and guaranteed money, the $21+M by Paul Allen was a generous unnecessary offer. Wilson has zero leverage.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but you can let him play under his rookie deal for just $1.7M, and then franchise him for $20M in 2016, $24 M in 2017, and $28.8M in 2018. Depending on the structure and guaranteed money, the $21+M by Paul Allen was a generous unnecessary offer. Wilson has zero leverage.

Assuming those numbers are accurate, that's what I would do.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

This sounds familiar.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

How's so?

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How's so?

Without going 12 rounds on this, since you know where I stand. Russ doesnt have any leverage. He cant do shit except take their offer, or sit out and watch some other QB hand the ball off to 24. They can franchise him for 2 years, before he can become a true FA. He is stuck. I dont se how he has any real leverage in this situation.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Without going 12 rounds on this, since you know where I stand. Russ doesnt have any leverage. He cant do shit except take their offer, or sit out and watch some other QB hand the ball off to 24. They can franchise him for 2 years, before he can become a true FA. He is stuck.

The trend is QBs getting an extension before their contract is up. He holds plenty of leverage.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The trend is QBs getting an extension before their contract is up. He holds plenty of leverage.

I'm aware, but that trend is there because those teams showed the willingness to extend Bears included. So far, Seattle has shown they think Russ is worth what they offered him.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'm aware, but that trend is there because those teams showed the willingness to extend Bears included. So far, Seattle has shown they think Russ is worth what they offered him.

And that will more than likely go up if Seattle makes a deep playoff run again.

Unless the team bombs this year...RW holds all the leverage.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And that will more than likely go up if Seattle makes a deep playoff run again.

Unless the team bombs this year...RW holds all the leverage.

I disagree.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pay him next to nothing this year instead of highest paid player in the league. Next year, franchise, not even top player in the league. Wait and see. Waiting two years saves millions of dollars.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But he does look in the mirror and sees greatness when he shaves. Maybe I'd give the short guy a giant paycheck when he's still under contract.