Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And that will more than likely go up if Seattle makes a deep playoff run again.

Unless the team bombs this year...RW holds all the leverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol if Seattle Bombs his value decreases.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Pay him next to nothing this year instead of highest paid player in the league. Next year, franchise, not even top player in the league. Wait and see. Waiting two years saves millions of dollars.

I'm assuming from a cap aspect that is the last thing Seattle wants to do.

You extend him now, that gives you a chance to lock up other key players in the future.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Lol if Seattle Bombs his value decreases.

To quote Duhril Drake...that's what I said!

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Without going 12 rounds on this, since you know where I stand. Russ doesnt have any leverage. He cant do shit except take their offer, or sit out and watch some other QB hand the ball off to 24. They can franchise him for 2 years, before he can become a true FA. He is stuck. I dont se how he has any real leverage in this situation.

Yeah, the only leverage he has, albeit a shitty one, is to hold out. That's the only leverage any player under contract has. But it's worked for players in the past, so let's see what happens.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Pay him next to nothing this year instead of highest paid player in the league. Next year, franchise, not even top player in the league. Wait and see. Waiting two years saves millions of dollars.
Maybe God will send in a swarm of locust.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Given the NFL and their sellout status these days. They'll be sponsored by American Family Insurance.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but you can let him play under his rookie deal for just $1.7M, and then franchise him for $20M in 2016, $24 M in 2017, and $28.8M in 2018.

Your figures are off. More like $25 mil in 2016, 33 mil in 2017, and 44 mil in 2018.

Depending on the structure and guaranteed money, the $21+M by Paul Allen was a generous unnecessary offer. Wilson has zero leverage.

I agree with this statement. From a "pay the least amount possible" perspective, your view makes sense.
From a "remain competitive for as long as possible" by proper cap management perspective, it does not. NFL teams literally have a license to print money, their main concern is cap space. Being faced with a looming 25 mil cap hit for franchising Wilson in 2016 is in itself some small amount of leverage. Knowing your team is built to win and win NOW, as long as your starting QB doesn't hold out is even more leverage.

Saying Wilson has zero leverage is just plain silly. Does he hold the upper hand? Probably not, but he most certainly holds some.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Clearly, Jesus would want him to hold out for more money. No decent Christian can survive on less than $22mil per year.

"Blessed are the fabulously wealthy, for they shall inherit the Earth."

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Clearly, Jesus would want him to hold out for more money. No decent Christian can survive on less than $22mil per year.

tithe is a bitch!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Mathew19:24
And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Russell apparently is citing the revised version:
And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. "Unless he can thread that needle, then the stacks and that shit is all good, yo.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. "Unless he can thread that needle, then the stacks and that shit is all good, yo.
I find when you take exception to other people's religion or how they interpret specific parts of their religion wars end up starting...

Let's remember, we only know him as a football player. He's not any or our spiritual leader or life coach, so let's just focus on evaluating him on what we want from him and that's his football playing ability.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

"Thus spake Jesus, "Thou shalt take thine religion a la carte, for it is So Much Easier that way."

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Is that Shakesbeer?

I'm starting to piece it all together...

Russell Wilson is actually an NFL Quarterback, Religious Leader and a world renounded Playwright....

How isn't that guy worth $25M a year? He has 3 jobs!!!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm starting to piece it all together...

Russell Wilson is actually an NFL Quarterback, Religious Leader and a world renounded Playwright....

How isn't that guy worth $25M a year? He has 3 jobs!!!
Don't forget he is an instant ten spot boost to a defenses ranking. #multitasking

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Don't forget he is an instant ten spot boost to a defenses ranking. #multitasking

Teams typically put about 1/2 the cap towards their defense. If he's doing what you are saying with a salary cap around ~$140M he's at least worth $70M/season...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Teams typically put about 1/2 the cap towards their defense. If he's doing what you are saying with a salary cap around ~$140M he's at least worth $70M/season...
Yeah but how much of that is guaranteed?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I'm assuming from a cap aspect that is the last thing Seattle wants to do.

You extend him now, that gives you a chance to lock up other key players in the future.

is that you Phil Emery?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yeah but how much of that is guaranteed?

You have to spend pretty close to the salary cap to justify what you are doing, so I'm just thinking it would be wise to.... guarantee everything.... to everybody....