Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Fuck that guy trying to make his money.... Seems legit.

Yeah what a greedy SOB for wanting to set himself up for the long term future, what an ass

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Long story short, this deal will get done as it benefits both sides. Wilson will never hit FA, and will never get franchise tagged. I look for him to sign soon, with a huge signing bonus, his base salary this year will be around 5-6 mill, a signing bonus of 20-25 mil (this still puts 25 -31 mil in his pocket this year, as opposed to 1.5 mil) then the Seahawks will get creative with how they spread that signing bonus out over the books for the length of the contract, and his base will escalate substantially from year one to year two, and again in year three. The Seahawks only have a little less than 10 mill cap space, so unless they cut a player of significant cap savings, they can't do it any other way.

Seahawks, Russell Wilson agree to $87.6M extension

The deal includes a $31 million signing bonus and $60 million in guarantees.

Not too bad for having no leverage.......lmao

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah what a greedy SOB for wanting to set himself up for the long term future, what an ass

Yeah, he should have just played this year for 1.5 mil and prayed he didn't get significantly hurt......what the hell was he thinking?

I can't blame the guy one bit.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

They lost the advantage of having a good QB on a backups salary which will hurt them a little, but that team seems like it's ran pretty well so they should be okay. I can't wait to see what kind of money Luck commands now though. Almost all of Wilson's contract was guaranteed, Luck gonna get 80mil guaranteed you think?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Except for the fact that Wilson just ate up a ton of money that they were using or can use to sign/re-sign some of the players like they have in the past.

Most of the key players are locked up through 2018

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
They lost the advantage of having a good QB on a backups salary which will hurt them a little, but that team seems like it's ran pretty well so they should be okay. I can't wait to see what kind of money Luck commands now though. Almost all of Wilson's contract was guaranteed, Luck gonna get 80mil guaranteed you think?

Seattle seems to do well drafting and finding young talent, obviously such a large contract will eventually have them sacrifice keeping certain players...but what are they going to do, let a young up and coming star who is far from peaking leave for another team? Seattle was keeping him at whatever cost, it just came down to how low Wilson would sign for.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

Make ya wonder. Luck will be the highest paid QB, for sure.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seattle seems to do well drafting and finding young talent, obviously such a large contract will eventually have them sacrifice keeping certain players...but what are they going to do, let a young up and coming star who is far from peaking leave for another team? Seattle was keeping him at whatever cost, it just came down to how low Wilson would sign for.

They would have been crazy to let him leave.

Make ya wonder. Luck will be the highest paid QB, for sure.

Agreed. His contract is gonna be crazy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I haven't really participated in this thread nor really care to go back and read all the posts, but was calling him greedy a common theme?
No more of a, "He is a franchise QB worth #1 money in the league vs he is a very good QB with a lot of help in his success worth #8-10ish QB money."

No surprise he got paid. Now, it will be very interesting to see if ye is worth #2 overall QB money. I am highly skeptical.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Seattle paid for what the market value was for a QB.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Seattle paid for what the market value was for a QB.
When he became the #2 highest paid QB, he was paid the market value for an elite QB. That which I don't think he is and you do, as can be referenced in the preceding 15 pages.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Obviously Seattle thought so...it's not like they are a bottom feeder organization
Like I said, it will be interesting to see if it was the right move or not.
Seattle also gave Minn a 1st, 3rd and 7th for Percy Harvin, paid him $19 M for 8 games played and 23 receptions and traded him to the Jets after a year and a half for a 6th, so the best franchises don't always get it right.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Like I said, it will be interesting to see if it was the right move or not.
Seattle also gave Minn a 1st, 3rd and 7th for Percy Harvin, paid him $19 M for 8 games played and 23 receptions and traded him to the Jets after a year and a half for a 6th, so the best franchises don't always get it right.

I think Seattle gave him the money because it's not really that easy to duplicate Wilson's ability at QB. And they don't want to have to start all over at that position. He's been able to perform well in that offense given his only weapon is Lynch.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really couldn't give a shit what they pay Wilson. But anybody who was thrilled with the Cutler deal on here (and there were plenty) should not be taken seriously on what they are posting in this thread, already lost all credibility.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously Seattle thought so...it's not like they are a bottom feeder organization

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/31/russell-wilson-contract-extension-seahawks-training-camp

The Seahawks reached an agreement with Matt Flynn on a three-year contract Sunday, bringing one of the most wanted -- yet unproven -- free agents to the Pacific Northwest. The Seahawks didn't announce financial terms, but a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora the deal is worth a maximum of $26 million, with $10 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ahawks-russell-wilson-agree-to-876m-extension

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do agree with DaaBears though.

Yeah, I don't even bother posting in those 20 page Cutler threads. Sorry if it looked that way, don't want to make it a Cutler thread. There is just no accountability for people that are dead wrong on things (Cutler, Trestman, Emery, etc), and then just move on long nothing ever happened.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The Seahawks reached an agreement with Matt Flynn on a three-year contract Sunday, bringing one of the most wanted -- yet unproven -- free agents to the Pacific Northwest. The Seahawks didn't announce financial terms, but a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora the deal is worth a maximum of $26 million, with $10 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ahawks-russell-wilson-agree-to-876m-extension

They were mid-feeder then