Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to put that into the correct context, Seattle traded for Flynn and gave him a 2 year deal that paid him starter money in those days. RW, a 3rd round draft pick, came in and from his first day started to win the #1 QB job. Making the leap from college QB to starter in the NFL is no small accomplishment especially when the team didn't take the player in the first round and the GM/coach made moves to get a specific guy in the offseason.

I'm not sure if that is seen as how good Russell Wilson is or how bad Matt Flynn is. Nobody, besides GB as a backup, can find anything useful about him.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if that is seen as how good Russell Wilson is or how bad Matt Flynn is. Nobody, besides GB as a backup, can find anything useful about him.

Flynn may not be good, but the GM/coach just spent resources (draft picks and cap space) to acquire him. For them to allow Wilson to run with the job they are also admitting that the Flynn trade was bad on them only months after making it happen.

GMs and coaches typically won't put egg on their own face. I'm not saying Flynn was some great player, but more the cards are rarely in place for a 3rd round QB to win a starting job in the NFL.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Flynn may not be good, but the GM/coach just spent resources (draft picks and cap space) to acquire him. For them to allow Wilson to run with the job they are also admitting that the Flynn trade was bad on them only months after making it happen.

GMs and coaches typically won't put egg on their own face. I'm not saying Flynn was some great player, but more the cards are rarely in place for a 3rd round QB to win a starting job in the NFL.

Flynn was a free agent. He did sign a $26 million dollar contract with Seattle. Mostly because in just two starts in GB he threw 9 TD's vs 2 interceptions. But Seattle quickly gave him to Oakland for a 5th and a conditional pick. Oakland didn't want him either. Articles say he was beaten out by Terrelle Pryor. Impressive. He later signed with the Bills. They didn't want him either.

Nothing against Wilson but beating out Matt Flynn doesn't seem to be much of an achievement if the Seahawks, Raiders and Bills all parted ways with him as quickly as they did.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be interested in a list of all quarterbacks that have had a passer rating of 95.0 or above for 3 full seasons in a row.

EDIT: Checked Favre for fun. 20 years. He never did it. 3 straight MVP's didn't do it. Granted passer rating is higher overall now for a number of reasons but it is still impressive.
Curious myself, but I could only find three others.

Aaron Rodgers last five seasons.

Peyton Manning in 2004-2006 and again the last three seasons.

Steve Young 1991-1994

That is good company.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Curious myself, but I could only find three others.

Aaron Rodgers last five seasons.

Peyton Manning in 2004-2006 and again the last three seasons.

Steve Young 1991-1994

That is good company.

Tom Brady 2009-2012

Drew Brees 2011-2014

Phillip Rivers 2008-2010

Kurt Warner 1999-2001

I'm sure there are more but still pretty good company. Especially considering those were the best stretches of those players careers.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The eras of Young and Warner getting that done is the most impressive

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
True, but is his job not made easier by having arguably the best RB, not named AP, in the league, and playing more often than not from the lead on short fields due to the #1 defense three years running?

Here is a question. What QB, given RB's, WR's, TE's, O line, home field, and accompanying defense and include passing climate of the league, has had a better chance to succeed than RW over his short 3 year career? In the history of the NFL, I don't know of one QB that has been put in an easier position to start their career. He has done well, and is certainly a good player, but to ignore all those factors is foolish.

That's a long list of QBs

Did you run out of bold print or can you not name one other if you answer the entire question?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Did you run out of bold print or can you not name one other if you answer the entire question?

You mean
Cutler
Stafford
Rodgers
Brady
Manning
Manning
Smith
Roethlisberger

That's enough to get started.

Wilson really doesn't have much to work with on offense.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You mean
Cutler
Stafford
Rodgers
Brady
Manning
Manning
Smith
Roethlisberger

Are you having a hard time with the question?
Here it is again:

What QB, given RB's, WR's, TE's, O line, home field, and accompanying defense and include passing climate of the league, has had a better chance to succeed than RW over his short 3 year career?

First you bold only the offensive categories and then you list a bunch of QB's that play with inferior defenses and home field advantages to RW. It's not a hard answer, no QB in the history of the modern NFL has ever been gifted with the #1 defense and a top 6 running back (3,6,4 in season rush yards)in his first three seasons before RW. Throw in the huge advantage their home crowd provides, he is 22-2 at home and 14-10 on the road, and you have a situation many beyond RW could succeed in.

Last edited:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Are you having a hard time with the question?
Here it is again:

What QB, given RB's, WR's, TE's, O line, home field, and accompanying defense and include passing climate of the league, has had a better chance to succeed than RW over his short 3 year career?

First you bold only the offensive categories and then you list a bunch of QB's that play with inferior defenses and home field advantages to RW. It's not a hard answer, no QB in the history of the modern NFL has ever been gifted with the #1 defense and a top 6 running back (3,6,4 in season rush yards). Throw in the huge advantage their home crowd provides he is 22-2 at home and 14-10 on the road and you have a situation many beyond RW could succeed in.

Correct...it kinda cancels out your reasons for discrediting Wilson.

You're really starting to grasp at straws...I mean you're using the home field advantage as a comparison.

Aaron Rodgers record on the road is 28-27...so there's that

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You mean
Cutler
Stafford
Rodgers
Brady
Manning
Manning
Smith
Roethlisberger

Huh, ever wonder why? Maybe the Seattle brain trust just wants to grind up yards and time get any little lead and hand the game to their defense, excuse me, #1 defense. Hell, even the guy they went and got him was a TE.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Huh, ever wonder why? Maybe the Seattle brain trust just wants to grind up yards and time get any little lead and hand the game to their defense, excuse me, #1 defense. Hell, even the guy they went and got him was a TE.

Obviously they don't want to just grind up the yards, or RW's stats would resemble that of a game manager like Ortong or Dilfer.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Correct...it kinda cancels out your reasons for discrediting Wilson.

You're really starting to grasp at straws...I mean you're using the home field advantage as a comparison.

Aaron Rodgers record on the road is 28-27...so there's that
What are you talking about?

He is handed the keys to the car, but it is sort of like one of those new Mercedes' that warns you if a car is around you, breaks if you forget to, and keeps you in the correct lane. All he has to do is drive like a normal human and he keeps a clean safe record. No one is asking him to take the 86 Trans Am out to do doughnuts in the snow like Detroit and Stafford.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Obviously they don't want to just grind up the yards, or RW's stats would resemble that of a game manager like Ortong or Dilfer.
or the team would be ranked last or second to last in passing attempts every year over his entire career. ...Errr nevermind.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What are you talking about?

QB tend to have worse records on the road
He is handed the keys to the car, but it is sort of like one of those new Mercedes' that warns you if a car is around you, breaks if you forget to, and keeps you in the correct lane. All he has to do is drive like a normal human and he keeps a clean safe record. No one is asking him to take the 86 Trans Am out to do doughnuts in the snow like Detroit and Stafford.

You must have quit watching Wilson after the Bears debacle

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
or the team would be ranked last or second to last in passing attempts every year over his entire career. ...Errr nevermind.

Like I said that's pretty irrelevant when you're in the top 10 for YPA

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Like I said that's pretty irrelevant when you're in the top 10 for YPA
Yeah, if I had a dime for every time I saw QB's compared by their YPA.:obama:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Considering when the best QBs are discussed the first stat they cite are their pass attempts

Aaron Rodgers is in a clear decline...was #14 in pass attempts last year.

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yeah, if I had a dime for every time I saw QB's compared by their YPA, well let me tell ya I would have some dimes.:obama:

Maybe look at it this way - Wilson does more with every attempt, so logically needs less to accomplish the same task.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Yeah, if I had a dime for every time I saw QB's compared by their YPA.:obama:

YPA is all the rage right now for the fantasy football geeks. I'm not familiar enough with it to give you a detailed explanation, but it supposedly is a great indicator for future success.