Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think I have made it pretty clear why I think RW is better than average but not great, if you don't get me by post #393 of this thread, you just won't. C'est la vie

I just feel that u marginalize RW way to much.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why? Is Wilson a Bear? He's not wishing him harm and Russell got paid. Doesn't like the Seahags so why should he hope for more than poor play?

So, seems like Wilson thought less of himself and/or had less leverage than many posters thought. Congrats to him on getting paid and the security of a big contract. It was an extension and he's averaging 17.5m for the next 5 years.

21.9 AAV, second only to Rodgers (by $100,000) and it has the most guaranteed money of any current contract out there (until Luck). Not sure were you come up with 17.5 mil. We can argue semantics, but the way I see it he had plenty of leverage, plus an additional 31 mil in his checking account THIS year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Jesus! After all this, you still don't understand what an extension is.

Maybe this will help. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/russell-wilson/

Both Rodgers and Brees got larger signing bonuses and in effect Roethlisberger's was higher as it was the same but earlier. Besides that, Roth, Romo, Newton, Smith, Flacco and Ryan all had or have higher dead (guaranteed) money totals. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/dead-money/
Interesting notes on the bottom. $30M of the $61M in guaranteed money really isnt guaranteed. The 2016, 2017, and the guaranteed portion of the 2018 salaries aren't guaranteed until after the previous season ends, so in theory they could cut ties this next year for a unforeseen or inexplicable reason and not owe a dime, but have a horrendous cap hit. Cutler had similar non guaranteed guarantees except his guaranteed a year early, so no SB but earlier guarantees. Newton, Tannehill and Suh have similar "guarantees." It seems the guarantees are becoming a pissing contest sort of like total value which so many contracts never see. And the word guaranteed is being used rather loosely.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yup. Wilson was eligible to have this years contract tossed as well. Rookies are not allowed to renegotiate for 3 years but he's now beyond that. It just didn't happen. I guess he brought the wrong lever. He deserved his new deal but all this talk about leverage and highest paid was a bit silly. Obviously the contract will look better after this year but this year counts in the overall deal if you understand that part of the signing bonus is this years compensation.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
dude ....I really like Luck.....bur he's not better than RW. Lets talk when Luck get's to a SB

And I really like RW, but there is now way he's better than Luck. It takes an entire team to get to the SB. If Luck had a caliber of D that Seattle has he would have prolly been to the SB all 3 years he's been in the league.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Maybe this will help. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/russell-wilson/

Both Rodgers and Brees got larger signing bonuses and in effect Roethlisberger's was higher as it was the same but earlier. Besides that, Roth, Romo, Newton, Smith, Flacco and Ryan all had or have higher dead (guaranteed) money totals. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/dead-money/

Dude, give it a rest. From your OWN dam link:

Russell Wilson signed a 4 year, $87,600,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $31,000,000 signing bonus, $61,542,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $21,900,000. In 2015, Wilson will earn a base salary of $700,000 and a signing bonus of $31,000,000. Wilson has a cap hit of $7,054,868 while his dead money value is $31,854,868.

AAV of 21.9, just like I said, not 17.5 like you keep babbling about.
I didn't say a dam thing about dead money, did I ?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr...contract-extension-with-the-seattle-seahawks/

Read-comprehend-maybe even learn something. Stop trying to redefine terms just to try to support you argument. I am using the term "guarantee" just as the NFL does, and applying it to all the QB's in question equally.

Once again, the Annual average value of RW's contract is 21.9 mil., not 17.5 mil.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You are so dam desperate to prove your right. Extension, renegotiate....what ever.

RW was under contract for 1.5 mil this year.
He renegotiated and now is making more money this year.
In the process he also extended his contract. So he did both.
So, my bad, yes you are right he did get a contract extension.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL. I was going to put up a pic of a Special Olympics winner with their medal to honor your victory but decided it would be unfair...to the Olympian.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
but all this talk about leverage and highest paid was a bit silly. Obviously the contract will look better after this year but this year counts in the overall deal if you understand that part of the signing bonus is this years compensation.

LOL, it's you that doesn't understand. To most, RW included, the only thing that matters is that 31 mil check he just deposited in the bank, not some numbers scribbled on paper as the Seahawks plays the NFL version of a shell game to balance the money/cap out over the course of the 4 year contract. You take the total value of the contract, and average it out over the course of the contract. End of story.....period.

But your right, at the end of the day RW had no leverage. Luckily, the Seahawks just happened to find a spare 31 mill under a rainbow and opted to give it to RW out of the kindness of their hearts. This year. Because, ya know, that's just how they roll.....

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Because it is an extension and he got the 31 mil this year, which allows Seattle to prorate that signing bonus over 5 years and increase Wilson's cap hit this year, is it not fair to look at this as a 5 year payment deal? If you total it all up and include his 700,000 remaining from the old contract, he averages just under 18 mil per year over 5 years.

This is why an extension is usually preferable to both sides over waiting until next year.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because it is an extension and he got the 31 mil this year, which allows Seattle to prorate that signing bonus over 5 years and increase Wilson's cap hit this year, is it not fair to look at this as a 5 year payment deal? If you total it all up and include his 700,000 remaining from the old contract, he averages just under 18 mil per year over 5 years..

But, if we are comparing contracts, you can't take into account how the teams spread the money out. You can only gauge value of the new contract. RW's new contract is 4 years, he was already under contract for this year. If your going to rationalize spreading it out over the course of a previous contract, why stop at this year? Why not take the previous two years as well and say RW only is earning a little over 11 mil for 8 years?

This is why an extension is usually preferable to both sides over waiting until next year

I agree, it helps the team, I said as much way back on my first post of this thread. It was part of my rationalization that RW did in fact have some leverage to get this deal done now.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
But, if we are comparing contracts, you can't take into account how the teams spread the money out. You can only gauge value of the new contract. RW's new contract is 4 years, he was already under contract for this year. If your going to rationalize spreading it out over the course of a previous contract, why stop at this year? Why not take the previous two years as well and say RW only is earning a little over 11 mil for 8 years?

Because Seattle can't do that, from a cap management perspective, and Wilson didn't have the 31 mil until this year?

I guess when comparing contracts it's a matter of perspective.

I agree, it helps the team, I said as much way back on my first post of this thread. It was part of my rationalization that RW did in fact have some leverage to get this deal done now.

It helps Wilson also. He has 31 mil in his pocket now, and doesn't have to worry about losing those millions to injury.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because Seattle can't do that, from a cap management perspective, and Wilson didn't have the 31 mil until this year?

I guess when comparing contracts it's a matter of perspective.

It helps Wilson also. He has 31 mil in his pocket now, and doesn't have to worry about losing those millions to injury.

I agree completely. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters to the player, the agent, and the IRS is actual money paid, and when it is paid. The stuff on spotrac is interesting from a team cap perspective, but none of the aforementioned give a rats ass about cap hit, dead money, and the way a signing bonus is spread out.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And I really like RW, but there is now way he's better than Luck. It takes an entire team to get to the SB. If Luck had a caliber of D that Seattle has he would have prolly been to the SB all 3 years he's been in the league.

Luck makes a lotta' mistakes. He turns the over more than RW. Compare their #'s. Again, I really like Luck.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL, it's you that doesn't understand. To most, RW included, the only thing that matters is that 31 mil check he just deposited in the bank, not some numbers scribbled on paper as the Seahawks plays the NFL version of a shell game to balance the money/cap out over the course of the 4 year contract. You take the total value of the contract, and average it out over the course of the contract. End of story.....period.

But your right, at the end of the day RW had no leverage. Luckily, the Seahawks just happened to find a spare 31 mill under a rainbow and opted to give it to RW out of the kindness of their hearts. This year. Because, ya know, that's just how they roll.....

Stop. I congratulated him on his deal and security. Never stated it as anything other than it is. He gets $31M of the deal this year and is getting money from the deal for 5. They are the only years of any significance. I stated the deal was fair from the start and he should accept it instead of trying to make Seattle blink. They didn't, he accepted and everything is right in the world except you, regardless of how you spin it. This year was available to renegotiate to raise the average. It didn't happen and compensated with bonus instead. I said early on that he likely wants more money to raise the average in an extension.

You said he wont sign while still making $1.5m this year so would renegotiate while also saying a signing bonus is part of salary (page 5) but now are saying it doesn't count to this years income. Its some sort of figure eight logic. We both approached this year as part of the salary assessment yet now it doesn't fit for you.

This is his highest paid year of the deal as he personally gets and the team actually pays him all the signing bonus money now. The cap figure is not how the player and team distribute the outlay. It's only a way for teams to amortize the bonus portion of deals to remain competitive in signing years of large contracts and not have to cut players to make room. It's part of the CBA to allow larger bonuses which are different than guarantees. There's a reason they get accelerated when a player is cut or traded. They have already been paid. Wilson will very much enjoy the $32M he deservedly banks from the Seahawks this year. He actually receives $32m this year and 1/5th of $31m bonus is counted against the cap this year along with his previous $1m. Team pays out now. He gets the money now. It counts against the cap now. It's part of the deal now.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You said he wont sign while still making $1.5m this year so would renegotiate while also saying a signing bonus is part of salary (page 5) but now are saying it doesn't count to this years income. Its some sort of figure eight logic. We both approached this year as part of the salary assessment yet now it doesn't fit for you.

It doesn't count towards this years income in so far using this year to lower the yearly average of the contract and then compare his new contract to the contracts of other quarterbacks, which is precisely what you were trying to do here, and you know it:

That's the same type of misinformation that came out of a JC contract thread, that left users here thinking that JC could/can be cut next year without a significant cap hit. Your figure of 17.5 mil will leave users here thinking that RW is being paid mid-level QB money when in fact the truth is RW's contract makes him the number 2 paid QB, second only to Rodgers, and second by a scant 100,000 per season. Fact.

His current contract also pays him the most guaranteed money of any of the current contracts held by any QB. He also has 31 m in the bank this year, so if he walks out and gets hit by a bus tomorrow, they can't take that away from him.

Not bad for a guy with no leverage.......

shinbet2002

Liked Posts:
LOL. Never understood this line of reasoning. When the Colts win it was because Luck carried his team and won the game all by himself. But when the Colts get stomped like they did against the deflate spies then it's the whole teams fault. Luck couldn't muster a single TD against Belichicks defense in the AFCCG. Wilson not only brought his team back but almost won it had it not been for that boneheaded play.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk