Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000505451/article/seahawks-safety-kam-chancellor-begins-holdout

Here's the fallout from his contract. Can they give Chancellor a raise, keep Wagner, and give Bennett a raise if they want to keep him?

Actually the fallout from having a franchise QB playing for ~$1M/season is that you can pay your defense, go to two Superbowls and win another. Unfortunately when it comes time to pay that QB you will have to reallocate that cap space to the most important position in football.

I'd also give a little commentary about all 3 contracts you mentioned:

Chancellor - His desire to get a new deal is more around what safety contracts have happened since he's signed. The reason why he wants more money is that Earl Thomas, Devin McCourtney and Reshad Jones all signed deals since Chancellor signed that have more guaranteed money than he signed for.

Bennett - He'll see $6M, $5M and $7.5M in the next 3 years then become a FA at the age of 33. He realizes that his window to make a bit more is almost closed.

Wagner - Just in a bad spot. So many big deals before him that he'll get lost in the shuffle.

I'd also add the way they handled the Marshawn Lynch situation sorta set the tone for both the Chancellor and Bennett holdouts. That's not on RW, that's on the organization.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually the fallout from having a franchise QB playing for ~$1M/season is that you can pay your defense, go to two Superbowls and win another. Unfortunately when it comes time to pay that QB you will have to reallocate that cap space to the most important position in football.

I'd also give a little commentary about all 3 contracts you mentioned:

Chancellor - His desire to get a new deal is more around what safety contracts have happened since he's signed. The reason why he wants more money is that Earl Thomas, Devin McCourtney and Reshad Jones all signed deals since Chancellor signed that have more guaranteed money than he signed for.

Bennett - He'll see $6M, $5M and $7.5M in the next 3 years then become a FA at the age of 33. He realizes that his window to make a bit more is almost closed.

Wagner - Just in a bad spot. So many big deals before him that he'll get lost in the shuffle.

I'd also add the way they handled the Marshawn Lynch situation sorta set the tone for both the Chancellor and Bennett holdouts. That's not on RW, that's on the organization.

I'm not putting anything on Wilson, get your money while you can. But they obviously benefited by having a QB play so well on a rookie deal. That benefit is now gone and will likely cost them some defense. Let's hope he can carry some more offense on his shoulders without folding.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm not putting anything on Wilson, get your money while you can. But they obviously benefited by having a QB play so well on a rookie deal. That benefit is now gone and will likely cost them some defense. Let's hope he can carry some more offense on his shoulders without folding.

This is the problem that comes with talent. Teams with a lot of talent end up having to make financial decisions with who they can keep. On the other side teams without talent have to pay top FA dollar to stay competive. Both are problems, but I'm sure we'd all choose the first situation over the second.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Fuck that! I hope he, Richard Sherman, and Pete Carroll all shit the bed from here to eternity. Actually I rather he do well and just the other two knobs eat shit, but if he is at the core of the Seahawks success, I hopes he goes all Chad Hutchison on them.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck that! I hope he, Richard Sherman, and Pete Carroll all shit the bed from here to eternity. Actually I rather he do well and just the other two knobs eat shit, but if he is at the core of the Seahawks success, I hopes he goes all Chad Hutchison on them.

Oh yeah. I'd lean on his stats dropping some this year. Even with Graham, think he will even out. I'd be scared to pay him that much money but understand why they did. Imo he is a leg injury away from becoming mediocre.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I like Sherman.

I hope Wilson fails. I don't like being reminded of the greatness he sees in the mirror when he shaves.

Carroll, well, go away.

Baredown3rdplace

Liked Posts:
I don't know if this has been said yet, but the title of this thread is some-what misleading.

Wilson didn't decline the offer, he simply hadn't accepted it yet. He waited until the last possible moment to see if he would get more, then signed it when he had to, which he did. It's what any person of reasonable intelligence would do.

Most of you seem to be making way more out of this than what is actually there. A lot of the comments don't even make sense.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
rh2y5c.jpg

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

....ur joking, right

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why? Is Wilson a Bear? He's not wishing him harm and Russell got paid. Doesn't like the Seahags so why should he hope for more than poor play?

So, seems like Wilson thought less of himself and/or had less leverage than many posters thought. Congrats to him on getting paid and the security of a big contract. It was an extension and he's averaging 17.5m for the next 5 years.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Are you having a hard time with the question?
Here it is again:

What QB, given RB's, WR's, TE's, O line, home field, and accompanying defense and include passing climate of the league, has had a better chance to succeed than RW over his short 3 year career?

First you bold only the offensive categories and then you list a bunch of QB's that play with inferior defenses and home field advantages to RW. It's not a hard answer, no QB in the history of the modern NFL has ever been gifted with the #1 defense and a top 6 running back (3,6,4 in season rush yards)in his first three seasons before RW. Throw in the huge advantage their home crowd provides, he is 22-2 at home and 14-10 on the road, and you have a situation many beyond RW could succeed in.

OK......then why didn't Tavers Jacksin and Matt Flynn fail

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I'm glad he finally got paid so that some of that defensive talent can hit the market.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They lost the advantage of having a good QB on a backups salary which will hurt them a little, but that team seems like it's ran pretty well so they should be okay. I can't wait to see what kind of money Luck commands now though. Almost all of Wilson's contract was guaranteed, Luck gonna get 80mil guaranteed you think?

dude ....I really like Luck.....bur he's not better than RW. Lets talk when Luck get's to a SB

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No more of a, "He is a franchise QB worth #1 money in the league vs he is a very good QB with a lot of help in his success worth #8-10ish QB money."

No surprise he got paid. Now, it will be very interesting to see if ye is worth #2 overall QB money. I am highly skeptical.

I don't get u. Seattle was going NO WHERE, b4 RW. Now look at them. If nothing else the is a leader, smart and a hard worker.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't get u. Seattle was going NO WHERE, b4 RW. Now look at them. If nothing else the is a leader, smart and a hard worker.
I think I have made it pretty clear why I think RW is better than average but not great, if you don't get me by post #393 of this thread, you just won't. C'est la vie

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Quote Originally Posted by iueyedoc View Post
Like I said, it will be interesting to see if it was the right move or not.
Seattle also gave Minn a 1st, 3rd and 7th for Percy Harvin, paid him $19 M for 8 games played and 23 receptions and traded him to the Jets after a year and a half for a 6th, so the best franchises don't always get it right.

But look how fast they cut bait and ran when they knew they screwed up as opposed to holding onto him for an eternity..........

.....NOTE to our management drop the non-producing Qb