Saints Cut OG Warford

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I find the length of this discussion strange since it’s about a G that never did, and probably never will, wears a Bears uniform.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Is there any reason that they need to hold onto the announcement of the Warford signing until June 1 when the Burton release and savings become official?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Is there any reason that they need to hold onto the announcement of the Warford signing until June 1 when the Burton release and savings become official?

Warford is waiting to sign until Remy is hired as GM so he can misread the current market and radically over pay him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Warford is waiting to sign until Remy is hired as GM so he can misread the current market and radically over pay him.

Why wait until I get a GM job? Just go to Pace and tell him he should overpay like he did for Markus Wheaton, Marcus Cooper, Antrelle Rolle, Mike Glennon, Jimmy Graham, Trey Burton, and Cody Parkey among others.

Except in this case he would actually be getting a current Pro Bowl caliber player. Guess Pace only overpays for trash.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Why wait until I get a GM job? Just go to Pace and tell him he should overpay like he did for Markus Wheaton, Marcus Cooper, Antrelle Rolle, Mike Glennon, Jimmy Graham, Trey Burton, and Cody Parkey among others.

Except in this case he would actually be getting a current Pro Bowl caliber player. Guess Pace only overpays for trash.

Hicks, Robinson, Sitton, Trevathan and Prince are certainly on the other side of that ledger. Hicks and Robinson rank with the best free agents this organization has ever been able to land.

Peppers is the only other guy in the team picture and possibly Tait.

I’ll let Graham play a few downs before I cast any judgement.

Glennon is easily mocked but it was the equivalent of a one year deal and he keeps finding NFL jobs to pay his bills.

Burton actually filled his role quite well for a season but unfortunately he had anxiety issues.

How’s your guy Cam Meredith doing?

Even a casual fan realizes that teams that have to fill holes in free agency and until your team is winning the pickings are typically slim.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
well i'm gone for a mini-long well deserved vacational week and of CCS draws me backs into dying like mofo.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hicks, Robinson, Sitton, Trevathan and Prince are certainly on the other side of that ledger. Hicks and Robinson rank with the best free agents this organization has ever been able to land.

Peppers is the only other guy in the team picture and possibly Tait.

I’ll let Graham play a few downs before I cast any judgement.

Glennon is easily mocked but it was the equivalent of a one year deal and he keeps finding NFL jobs to pay his bills.

Burton actually filled his role quite well for a season but unfortunately he had anxiety issues.

How’s your guy Cam Meredith doing?

Even a casual fan realizes that teams that have to fill holes in free agency and until your team is winning the pickings are typically slim.

You missed the point. The point was sometimes you overpay and I much rather overpay for Warford than the guys I mentioned.

The irony is you saying every fan realizes that teams have to fill holes in FA and that pickings are slim yet somehow that logic doesnt apply to Warford. You do realize Warford is a free agent and pickings are slim?

I guess it is ok for Pace to overpay for shitty talent but not ok to overpay for Pro Bowl talent. Seems you have one standard that is more lenient for Pace and another from stringent one for CCS posters. Really weird.

But looking forward to the mental gymnastics of how your slim pickings FA logic doesnt apply to Warford.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
You missed the point. The point was sometimes you overpay and I much rather overpay for Warford than the guys I mentioned.

The irony is you saying every fan realizes that teams have to fill holes in FA and that pickings are slim yet somehow that logic doesnt apply to Warford. You do realize Warford is a free agent and pickings are slim?

I guess it is ok for Pace to overpay for shitty talent but not ok to overpay for Pro Bowl talent. Seems you have one standard that is more lenient for Pace and another from stringent one for CCS posters. Really weird.

But looking forward to the mental gymnastics of how your slim pickings FA logic doesnt apply to Warford.

You missed my initial point in the thread when I suggested he’d be a nice get at the right price considering the current market. However, I did mention Pace would have good intel on this guy because of Loomis.

Obviously something isn’t quite right here because not only is he not garnering any offers, but it doesn’t seem like there’s too much interest either.

My comment on the pickings being slim you did not understand as well. That was referring to top tier free agents not even giving an organization consideration until there’s a reasonable chance to win. Pace was not in that situation when he started the rebuild so he had to fill holes with guys he could sign where the pickings are slim.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You missed my initial point in the thread when I suggested he’d be a nice get at the right price considering the current market. However, I did mention Pace would have good intel on this guy because of Loomis.

Obviously something isn’t quite right here because not only is he not garnering any offers, but it doesn’t seem like there’s too much interest either.

My comment on the pickings being slim you did not understand as well. That was referring to top tier free agents not even giving an organization consideration until there’s a reasonable chance to win. Pace was not in that situation when he started the rebuild so he had to fill holes with guys he could sign where the pickings are slim.

I never disagreed that he would be a nice get at the right price. I simply said 8-10 would likely get it done. Again that was not a comment on the market, that was a comment on how much it would take to get him signed right away based on his previous current.

Again we didnt hear about any other offers for Graham who is making 8 million. Pace goes out and gets who he wants so the only question is should he want Warford. Lack of offers known by CCS isn't really a reason not to sign someone.

Finally you said teams have to fill holes in FA and until you win pickings are slim. If I recall we were in on Hooper but he decided on the Browns which is how we ended up with Graham. Teddy decided on the Panthers. So it seems the logic still applies to us.

Again just a lot of mental gymnastics. Until we are a consistent winner, we probably shouldnt be looking gift horses in the mouth. Bears fans getting really picky for fans of a shitty franchise. One winning season in 5 years and all of a sudden Pro Bowl guards can be passed on in favor of 1st round busts. But like I said we will see if this works.

Are you willing to go on record that if Ifedi sucks and Warford plays well, Pace made a mistake? If so we can revisit at end of year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Larry Warford @ 7mil > Jimmy Graham @ 9 mil

Ifedi penalties in 2019......................................13
Warford penalties in 2019..............................4
Ifedi had 7 penalties as a rookie at G? Most of his T penalties were him trying to get a jump on edge rushers. He's not an NFL T. I'm hoping he's an NFL G.

Apoptosis

Liked Posts:
Since Warford is getting paid by the Saints, wouldn't we be able to get him for 1 year 4 mill a year?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Since Warford is getting paid by the Saints, wouldn't we be able to get him for 1 year 4 mill a year?
But he isn't really getting paid, esp. in his mind. All his cap charges this season against the Saintsare bonus money already in his bank account or spent. He has no unpaid guaranteed $$ coming in from the Saints.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
The more film I watch of Ifedi the more signing Warford makes sense. Even if Juan Castillo is a miracle worker, and can get Ifedi up to speed at the RG.....which is a pretty big "if".....Pace and Nagy can't take that risk. We know what we got with Warford. Not so much Ifedi. This year there is no room for error as both Pace and Nagy will lose their jobs if they can not settle the O-Line and keep whichever QB......clean. Do it....Pace. Pay the man.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With all that has happened with COVID, sports, etc this year, I think a 24 (and counting) page thread about a guard, one of the least important positions in the NFL, one who the bears have already made public they are not interested in, is probably the worst of all.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who from the Bears is on record as saying they are not interested?